IGNORED

''Best'' CPU?

Does anyone have experience with different CPUs?

The previous CPU was a 6600K, finding an ''upgrade'' without wasting money on specs that might actually degrade SQ is gonna be difficult.

I think my old CPU sounded best at its normal clock speed of 3.5GHz, was forcing it to operate at a non ''native'' clock speed with underclock causing it to sound worse or is it simply that faster CPUs sound better?

Does hyperthreading and/or number of cores matter?

AMD? At least at some point AMD was known for having a large number of virtual and intel with a few powerful physical cores.

AMD doesnt have intregrated graphics, that could be a good thing since it means simpler chipset ,simpler CPU and less hardware on the MoBo.

and IME with the 6600k SQ is better using a GPU instead of intregrated graphics.

So there isnt really any affordable xeons, and the mobo choices are another problem...

interestingly the AMD i7 equivalent ryzen 7 CPUs go for much less than practically all the recent i7s and share similarities with xeon,  like larger memory caches and lots of physical cores . also no video !

18 hours ago, numlog said:

So there isnt really any affordable xeons, and the mobo choices are another problem...

interestingly the AMD i7 equivalent ryzen 7 CPUs go for much less than practically all the recent i7s and share similarities with xeon,  like larger memory caches and lots of physical cores . also no video !

Some of the lower end Ryzens do have onboard video (they are delineated with a G like Ryzen 5 2400 G).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

For a Daphile server, I was using a Pentium D dual core for the longest time with no issues what so ever. It just depends on the overhead that is needed for background processes.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects