Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Track preload affects sonics - HELP!!!

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I commented on his book with which I am familiar.  Have YOU read it??

I made no ad hominem argument at all.  i suggest you look it up

you can suck up to him all you want

what happened to the no bitching injunction??

I own it. 

35 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Alex, I'm afraid it is the silly little things that matter - checking supply voltages for the precise nature of the noise that exists on them, something that will constantly change, depending upon what the unit and its electrical surroundings are doing, is going to be difficult to do, and merely tells you whether there is a chance of some sort of interference effect being in the pictue

The hardest part of problem solving is repeating the initial problem, and establishing a procedure for repeating the result time and time again.  That's been established already according to what's being posted here.  Start track, pause and wait, and repeat track.  Sounds better second time around, on any digital device.  That's according to the OP, yourself, and others.  For any competent engineer, 75% of the work is complete right there.  According to what I'm reading here, you don't need a particular brand/model/anything, just plug your stuff in and you'll hear it every time, right?

Slam dunk to solve if given resources.   That is if the problem is real and it's actually a solvable problem.  Sometimes it's the nature of the beast and you can't get around it.  But it should be observable and well understood why things are that way at this point.  Digital media is decades old now.

4 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Start track, pause and wait, and repeat track.  Sounds better second time around, on any digital device.  That's according to the OP, yourself, and others.  For any competent engineer, 75% of the work is complete right there.  According to what I'm reading here, you don't need a particular brand/model/anything, just plug your stuff in and you'll hear it every time, right?

Where have I said that? I haven't felt the need to do that procedure for years - what I have said is that it will depend ... the annoying thing about audio, :P, is that there are very few generic answers; in the same way as for cars, every time there is a problem there is an excellent chance that the solution, or solutions, will unique to the particular system - so, step 1 is to see if there's something in it for one's own case.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Over and out.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think I just saw one fall down after getting zapped by his anti-static gun :~)

Haha..or getting vaporized by an ultrasonic vacuum vinyl cleaner..🤗

21 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Haha..or getting vaporized by an ultrasonic vacuum vinyl cleaner..🤗

Ultrasonic cleaners could be useful for vinyl records. I don't have any vinyl, but my ultrasonic cleaner is great for getting grime out of tight spaces like the links in the wristband of my "fancy" watch. As for watches, a cheap one might not survive that treatment, so there's that.

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

Ultrasonic cleaners could be useful for vinyl records. I don't have any vinyl, but my ultrasonic cleaner is great for getting grime out of tight spaces like the links in the wristband of my "fancy" watch. As for watches, a cheap one might not survive that treatment, so there's that.

Oh those cleaners work for sure...but some of them are absurdly expensive and break down easily....but they work!

But then remember they then have to de-magnetize!

Not too convenient, but probably better than those other cleaning methods even ultrasonic.  Once you have it clean, more normal cleaning for use can suffice. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 minutes ago, esldude said:

Not too convenient, but probably better than those other cleaning methods even ultrasonic.  Once you have it clean, more normal cleaning for use can suffice. 

Wow!  Though I wonder about residuals in the grooves, and one has to wonder about the forces involved—on tiny undulations—of being bonded to glue and then ripped apart.

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Wow!  Though I wonder about residuals in the grooves, and one has to wonder about the forces involved—on tiny undulations—of being bonded to glue and then ripped apart.

The water based wood glue doesn't really bond to vinyl.  It will stick to it a bit and any debris, but no real bonding with the underlying vinyl.  Works better to spread the glue with your finger.  And make sure you use water based wood glue.  Water based glue is fine.  Make sure it says water cleanup. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-II-16-oz-Premium-Wood-Glue-5004/100144210?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100522343-_-100144210-_-N

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

55 minutes ago, sandyk said:

After the 8th application does it sound better than the original ? :D

Never been past the 1st gen.  

interesting idea - did you see any dirt on the removed glue?

Wood glue dirt removal works pretty well.

My biggest challenge is one warbled vinyl (it was like that when I got it). I've been thinking the solution is to very carefully oven it first. And since it's 12" 45 rpm and I have all the digital capabilities, I'll play it out at 33 rpm and then speed it up to 45 digitally. That'll make the needle have less tracking challenge... Other good ideas are welcome.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 minute ago, Miska said:

My biggest challenge is one warbled vinyl (it was like that when I got it). I've been thinking the solution is to very carefully oven it first. And since it's 12" 45 rpm and I have all the digital capabilities, I'll play it out at 33 rpm and then speed it up to 45 digitally. That'll make the needle have less tracking challenge... Other good ideas are welcome.

If you can get it to track as is, your best option is probably to record whatever comes off it and correct the distortion digitally. It shouldn't be too hard to characterise it and compensate. My worry with baking it would be the risk of causing additional damage. Maybe you could somehow clamp it to a turntable to reduce the warping.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I've done the digital speed change thing.  Works well.  If you had a lab supply with variable frequency you could slow it way down.  I don't know if environmental vibrations then being sped up would become a problem or not.

For warped records you need vacuum hold down really.  

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

interesting idea - did you see any dirt on the removed glue?

Yes.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:58 PM, esldude said:

Yes.

I hope that you then did the obvious thing of DIGITISING the recording at 24/96 (or 24/192) before putting the Vinyl back for safe keeping ? ;)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

I hope that you then did the obvious thing of DIGITISING the recording at 24/96 (or 24/192) before putting the Vinyl back for safe keeping ? ;)

Neither.  I did the needle drop at 88.2/24. :P

The owner wanted 88 instead of 96.

I have usually done them at 88 or 96 to avoid any tip resonance issues that some MC's have.  

On 3/4/2019 at 1:28 PM, Jim Smith said:

I wrote about this phenomenon a bit over 10 years ago in Get Better Sound, referring to how many CD players & transports sounded better if you let them play a bit and then restarted the CD at the beginning. bad-news.gif

bad-news.gif

I haven't mentioned the effect with some computer sources, but it definitely exists - at least with my MBPs.

Letting a track play for 10 seconds or so - then restarting it - is not subtle. what.gif

This is irregardless of what track preload settings I can make with Audirvana.

I also use Maintain's Cocktail to help me eliminate unwanted/unneeded processes.

Also, restarting the computer (which clears the used ram), and clearing all caches still makes no difference with this effect.

In other words, EACH track sounds better if played briefly and then restarted.

Thought I would come out of the frustration closet and see if anyone can suggest a fix, while staying with the MBPs, which I need when traveling for RoomPlay voicing sessions... blush.png

blush.pngBow.gif Bow.gif

Have you checked the software named Bug Head Emperor ? Some comments on the JPlay forums. I have not followed the details, but seems this software may have some provisions for similarly preparing a file for playback.