IGNORED

Track preload affects sonics - HELP!!!

33 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Unfortunately, it can be the difference between the music sounding a bit flat, tired, uninteresting - versus sparkling, lively, something that engages one emotionally. That is, subjectively, it matters a great deal - for some people.

As psychiatrist,  this stuff plays in to the worst OCD tendencies. 

Show me the same results blind. How about captures off the DAC analog output Measurements? This sort of magical stuff

should be able to be measured.

18 minutes ago, fas42 said:

There is always distortion from playback systems, no matter how expensive or optimised they are - if there wasn't, a rig would always sound identical playing back a particular recording :). Some distortion types are very easy to measure, others much less so - and I worry, a lot, about the latter varieties.

Unfortunately, the hard to measure versions have a lot to do with conveying the quality of vitality, and 'naturalness' in recordings - but very few people take these areas seriously, which is a shame.

Again, the real solution is to engineer the playback components to a much higher standard - but that's unlikely to occur in the short term ... workarounds, etc, are usually the best option, as it stands.

I don't disagree with your post, Yes of course there is always some sort of distortion, heck there is distortion at the point of mic or DI capture. Just as there is bacteria in every morsel of food we eat. The question is does it matter.

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You realize this is the guy with the 10 pages of commonly known stuff inflated into an entire book, right?

It's like arguing with a used car salesman about camshaft lift and combustion flame spread velocity.

Yes, I know of the book. 🤠

Not related to to it, is floating the notion of digital gremlins that need to be snuffed out has been going on for ages, and there are clearly some legitimate issues and very practical fixes. This however, to me, is ridiculous

29 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You realize this is the guy with the 10 pages of commonly known stuff inflated into an entire book, right?

It's like arguing with a used car salesman about camshaft lift and combustion flame spread velocity.

I also just noted a plug for the book in the OP..also no audio system listed...unless I am looking in the wrong place, I just see a resume.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

My question was an honest request for possible help in an area which is not in my skill-set (computers).  I can make it work, but not at its best without restarting the tracks when they are from different CDs.  It is not all that subtle - I have demo'd it to various listeners and all could hear it easily.

Not sure why you cannot offer a helpful suggestion rather than an uninformed diatribe.

However, having just seen your system set-up in your profile, I think I may know why after all.   🤔

You can have the last word...

Honestly, judging someone by what you think their system sounds like is the ultimate audiophile blowhard move.😅

You don't list your system here.  I could also speculate that someone who uses Audirvana and a computer for playback has no idea what state of the art digital playback is.🤠

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

Ultrasonic cleaners could be useful for vinyl records. I don't have any vinyl, but my ultrasonic cleaner is great for getting grime out of tight spaces like the links in the wristband of my "fancy" watch. As for watches, a cheap one might not survive that treatment, so there's that.

Oh those cleaners work for sure...but some of them are absurdly expensive and break down easily....but they work!

But then remember they then have to de-magnetize!