IGNORED

My Favorite Album Covers / Artwork

2 hours ago, diecaster said:

This is one is great and very much a big risk considering the date of release: 

Not really. It was considered acceptably cool and risque. Was displayed in supermarkets and drugstores and no one got upset.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, diecaster said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/features/7370623/herb-alpert-whipped-cream-other-delights-story-behind-album-cover-50-years-later

Herb Alpert does not agree.

An excerpt:

“My first reaction was, 'Holy shit, man. Too racy,'” Alpert says. “Obviously now it would hardly register, but at the time I thought, 'Wow, that’s a little much.'

Irrelevant appeal to a non authority. Like I wrote, it was sold and on display everywhere and it wasn't a big deal. In supermarkets and drugstores back then, if they thought something was over the line it was either "under the counter" or hidden by a paper wrapping (for instance, Playboy mag, that didn't even have  nudes on the cover back then). That's the reality.

Herb Alpert was already an "old fogy" in 1966, and his  clouded memories aren't a standard for judging much. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

43 minutes ago, Paul R said:

In the rural south where I grew up, they burned the record cover. Kept the record to play though. That was one of the record covers we did not let our parents see, just like the Playboys. :)

18 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Be careful, Paul. You will soon be characterized as a “non-authority” and told that your memories are fabrications of your imagination in order to match a false narrative you are trying to promote.

And in the conservative Texas public school  I attended, kids brought the album to school. The rural south where those things happened certainly existed, but that doesn’t make them typical of the country.

I also knew of parents who burnt Doors albums and Stones albums. Means zilch in the big picture.

Again, the facts are that the album was openly sold everywhere and was extremely popular. 

3 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Yes, it was an extremely popular album. Yes, it was openly sold just about everywhere. But using that photo on the cover was still a risk...which is all I said. It was racy for 1965. It was meant to push the envelope which it certainly did. 

“Very much a Big risk” is what you wrote. And I wrote not so much-which was true. A big risk was a cover like the Beatles’ “Butcher” cover, that had to be withdrawn from stores. That’s a pretty big difference.