IGNORED

Airport Express/ipod touch control of Mac-based system

Phil, I wanted to follow up quickly and let you know I hadn't forgotten the topic of the methods to "automount" your external hard drive. I think the best thing to do is, whenever you have your external hard drive hooked up and see if/how it connects on its own when you start up your system a few times, post here and let me know if I can assist.

BTW, the visit by my family from out of town was lots of fun. We listened to lots of tunes on the new Mac server system and my brother was blown away. He is now back in California and we are trading long emails about how he could do something similar!

TheOtherTim

Thanks Tim,

I have been giving the subject of additional storage some thought over the last week. My CD collection is steadily diminishing as I rip CDs to my Macbook, but my HD is getting steadily fuller. With my whole CD collection ripped, I will have little or none of my original 250 GB storage left!

Via Ashley (AVI), I have been in touch with a chap who upgrades/services Macs and it looks like I can have a 500 GB HD fitted to my Macbook (the largest currently available). He will also upgrade the RAM to 4 GB. I think I will go this route as a useful stop gap - I can always revisit the external HD later.

Glad your demo to your brother was a success - he is in California - where are you? Using a computer as a source is certainly a neat, flexible set up. I still also have a CDP connected and, to be honest, I can't really tell a difference between the CDP and the Mac. However, one of the key advantages of the Mac to me is the itunes facility and it's compatability with ipods. I probably listen to more music on the ipod out-and-about than I do at home. I use a Nano with a headphone amp and some "proper" Grado headphones. The system is still portable and light, but gives great sound. Overall, I am listening to a lot more music these days.

Thanks for all your help again.

Phil

Phil, I also find myself listening to more music these days, although I still don't own an iPod. A next step for me will be the iPod Touch Remote option, and then I'm sure I'll be listening to even more, as you are.

Your upgrading your Mac sounds like a smart way to go.

I'm in North Carolina. Are you in the states or across the pond? I'm assuming the latter. And just since we're talking about my brother in California, and although it is completely off topic, I have to share -- that brother just became a grandfather this morning (a girl) and therefore I am now a great-uncle. First member of that new generation of our family to be born. Very exciting and much happiness all around. Although also very sobering to officially be the "old geezers" now. Screw it, I can still rock out with the best of them. Just tell me when I start looking like Keef and I'll stop.

OK, so now we can get back to the audio stuff.

TheOtherTim

Tim, You are right. I am "across the pond" in Reading, about 30 miles west of London. Congratulations on your new family member. I would not worry about stopping rocking - Keef started looking like Keef when he was pretty young - must have been the drugs! Rather like Joe Cocker, Warren Zevon, Elton John - he should not really still be around!

Let me know how you get on with the Touch as I may consider this option. Worth reading up on the sound quality of the ipods as they do vary I believe. My 4th Generation Nano sounds pretty good to my ears, but I believe the latest Classic has been slated for relatively poor sound quality. I believe the Touch is good.

Think I may have visited North Carolina years ago. After working on a summer camp in NY state, we ventured south to Maryland/Delaware/Virginia - think we may also have ventured into N Carolina.

Best wishes

Phil

Phil,

The touch is a cute gadget, and gives good playback (256Kbps AAC). The remote application is very nice, and for me was the decider in sticking with iTunes, rather than using a squeezebox. I've since loaded other applications, more or less useful, the latest being an application that tracks the price of petrol/deisel/gasoline/carburant whatever you want to call it from any given point within a certain radius (5km, 10km, whatever).

I use it mostly as a remote for the iTunes interface, but I also look at web pages when the main computer is "hogged" ;)

cheers

Peter

Asus Netbook -> Fidelity DA-150 > Chevron Audio Paradox > Avondale S-100 > Audium Comp 5