Rt66indierock

Jim Austin is the new editor of Stereophile

Rate this topic

Good wishes John. I’m glad the measurements will be continuing and even expanding.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also 2 SBT and an SB Boom. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@John_Atkinson So glad to hear you are getting off the time-crunch merry-go-round and being relieved of the monthly pressure.  Looking forward to reading about the fruits of your research as they ripen.  

Hope to run into you at an audio show again soon.  It has been a long time since we last met (Hovland days).

All the best,

--Alex Crespi

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Thank you beetlemania. I will still be doing all the measurements to accompany Stereophile's reviews but now will have some time to do more in-depth investigation. One area, for example, concerns how an amplifier's distortion spectrum changes with output voltage and output current. I also want to use a scientific graphing app to show a loudpeaker's complex impedance as a "pigtail" plot, which I think will be illuminating. Again, this is something in the frantic schedule to publish each issue's content that I just haven't had the time to work on.

John Atkinson

(Soon to be Technical) Editor, Stereophile

https://www.audiograph.se/

Man is anything better than the PowerCube measures for amplifiers?  

Congrats on more time JA.  First subscribed in the 1980's.  So I've been reading you and your publication a long time. 

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

John,

Thank you for your many years of ensuring that Stereophile was always a quality publication and a leader in the field. I also always appreciated your personal reviews of audio equipment. I bought a pair of Pass XA-60.5 amps after you said "I don't have much to say about the Pass Labs XA60.5 other than this: It is the best-sounding amplifier I have ever used."

They are wonderful amplifiers, and were a bargain, as you noted, and I have never regretted purchasing them for a minute.

JC

9 hours ago, esldude said:

https://www.audiograph.se/

Man is anything better than the PowerCube measures for amplifiers?  

PowerCube measurements are really telling overall. It is surprising how much differences it shows between amplifiers. When you combine that with loudspeaker complex impedance / EPDR figures, no wonder there are some differences...

Local hifi magazine here, as well as the one from our western neighbor Sweden, publishes PowerCube measurement results for amplifiers which is really nice. For loudspeakers they also publish group delay plots which is also nice.

19 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Thank you beetlemania. I will still be doing all the measurements to accompany Stereophile's reviews but now will have some time to do more in-depth investigation. One area, for example, concerns how an amplifier's distortion spectrum changes with output voltage and output current. I also want to use a scientific graphing app to show a loudpeaker's complex impedance as a "pigtail" plot...

This!

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

JA, 

Please continue on. Two of your measurements are the “one look” evaluation I use to separate the wheat from the chaff. 

Speaker impulse waterfall. Not so much the cleanliness of the decay, the top line. That is the frequency response. 

The 1 KHz output at -90.3 dB. At 16 and 24 bit resolution. The drop in noise floor shows resolution. Expect to see -160 dB for any dac over 99.00. 

Also like seeing what the sine wave output is at -90.3 dB and 16 bits. Amazing to see an expensive dac not outputting three clean voltage levels here. 

When I see an interesting speaker or dac tested I look at these tests before reading. If the review conclusion does not match the results of these simple tests move to the next review of interest. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

On 3/1/2019 at 9:25 PM, Paul R said:

Congrats for sure!  You have really led Stereo Review into being the leading publication. Authoritive, but good natured, fun, and populated by a definite cast of characters. :)

-Paul

I think you mean Stereophile. ;)