IGNORED

Help in deciding best compact wireless bookshelf speakers

RYEFI

Question

I am new to the forum and would appreciate help in deciding between KEF LSX, Xeo 2 and Q acoustics. I would be using these speakers with my turntable and Bluetooth sources as well as some tv use. I am willing to spend the big money on the KEF’s if they are that far ahead of the others. However, I am a novice and I could save the money and upgrade my turntable if I choose a cheaper pair of speakers. Any advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

On 2/23/2019 at 8:35 AM, RYEFI said:

I am new to the forum and would appreciate help in deciding between KEF LSX, Xeo 2 and Q acoustics. I would be using these speakers with my turntable and Bluetooth sources as well as some tv use. I am willing to spend the big money on the KEF’s if they are that far ahead of the others. However, I am a novice and I could save the money and upgrade my turntable if I choose a cheaper pair of speakers. Any advice and suggestions will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

The KEF does not have L/R RCA jacks to connect a turntable/phono preamp so you would need RCA=>3.5mm cable.  But the KEF does have an RJ45 connection which is cool.  Note that the BT on the KEF is 4.2...other powered/BT speakers now have BT 5.0 if that matters to you (Audioengine).  

All three have great reviews.  Unfortunately I have not heard any of these (I have Edifier S1000DB - which I really like but have put them in a setup to really critique: Setup as TV speakers in a bad room and background noise and now in garage).  If it was me, and I had the budget, I would spring for the Dynaudio XEO4 which comes with the Connect Transmitter.  Otherwise, I do not think you can go too wrong with any of the choices.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Thanks jcbenten! I appreciate your viewpoint. I work hard for my money like most people and want to make sure I’m not spending money that I won’t hear in a speaker. If that makes sense. I recently heard the KEF LSX and wasn’t blown away by it. It had a nice depth to it. I’m sure it’s prob at the top of the line in wireless compact bookshelf speaker. However I’m not certain a Audioengine, or Peachtree or other $400 to $600 speaker wouldn’t be close enough in sound quality for me not to seriously consider.

Typical "wireless" is Bluetooth and even with "Hi-Def" BT, the sound will suffer vs. wired.  That is the reason I am interested in the Dynaudio as they use their own protocol.  Perhaps search for WiFi speakers?

I just ordered the Dynaudio Xeo 2’s. I couldn’t pull the trigger on the 4’s as they were out of my budget. The 2’s are discontinued, however as far as I can tell they pretty much the same speaker as their replacement xeo 10’s. I will let you know how they perform once I’m able!

@RYEFI Cool.  Yesterday for a short time on Amazon the Xeo 4's were on sale for only $100 more...not sure what the occasion might have been.  In fact several speakers were on sale: Edifier S2000Pro, the update of my speakers) were $80 off... others also.

Looking forward to your impressions.  I have had my eyes on the Xeo line since they came out.

Got my xeo2’s last weekend and finally had a chance to test them out. Wow, unreal clarity and depth from such a small speaker. Bluetooth works flawlessly. Glad I went with these. Only problem is now I want another pair for my dedicated system!