Jump to content
Musicophile

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, firedog said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/music/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn.html

 

See the comments by the other finalists (so called "art" or "classical" composers) for the Pulitzer Prize, about the winner, Kendrick Lamar's "Damn".
 

It's not my cup of tea, but it has all sorts of complexity. Many of us just can't hear it because our brains aren't open to the format. That may be part of the issue of "why don't they make music like this anymore".

I’ve seen all the praise for Lamar, and really tried. I just don’t get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I’ve seen all the praise for Lamar, and really tried. I just don’t get it. 

I'm pretty much in the same place. Just thought it should be noted that his "art music" competitors thought he was thoroughly deserving of the prize.


Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.
 

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regard to compelling music with chords>3 and maybe a general resistance to I-IV-V, well, as someone put it, maybe we have to really cultivate the ear/brain for that. But, I do try and am definitely attracted to music that's a) rhythmic, b) arranged to change, and c) different/technically interesting (to me). Unfortunately, any given artist's oeuvre isn't always outside the norm, and then there's the matter of "consistency" and taste. So, I'm happy to discover one or two gems and then perhaps, perhaps there's more.

 

Put simply, "does the artist change things up?" (I'm looking for a strong yes, just like the band YES does/used to do, ha ha ha–I like almost all their stuff, not just early work.) Some recent listening sessions I've really enjoyed included (new-ish and old):

  • Blue by Joni Mitchell
  • After Bach by Brad Mehldau
  • Silk Road Ensemble w/ Yo-Yo Ma
  • Twisted Tenderness by Electronic (band–Sumner/Marr)
  • Money Jungle by Duke Ellington
  • Functional Arrhythmias by Steve Coleman & Five Elements
  • Heartwork by Carcass (n.b., harsh metal)
  • These are the Vistas by The Bad Plus
  • Emily's D+Evolution by Esperanza Spalding

And yes, Lamar, because I wanted to see if the fuss was for me (it's not). And some award-winning video game soundtracks (NieR Automata). And less-mainstream (to me) classical is occasionally cool, such as composer Dobrinka Tabakova. Finally, a coworker keeps suggesting technically interesting bands like Animals as Leaders which I need to explore more.

 

I hope there's something in here for you.

 

 

 

 

 


Fav Gear Schiit Yggdrasil A2 + SR UEF Black power cable, W4S Remedy/Uptone LPS-1, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, Naim, PSB, Elac, Uptone Audio USB, Phasure Lush/ZenWave/Transparent Audio cables 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, feelingears said:

With regard to compelling music with chords>3 and maybe a general resistance to I-IV-V, well, as someone put it, maybe we have to really cultivate the ear/brain for that. But, I do try and am definitely attracted to music that's a) rhythmic, b) arranged to change, and c) different/technically interesting (to me). Unfortunately, any given artist's oeuvre isn't always outside the norm, and then there's the matter of "consistency" and taste. So, I'm happy to discover one or two gems and then perhaps, perhaps there's more.

 

Put simply, "does the artist change things up?" (I'm looking for a strong yes, just like the band YES does/used to do, ha ha ha–I like almost all their stuff, not just early work.) Some recent listening sessions I've really enjoyed included (new-ish and old):

  • Blue by Joni Mitchell
  • After Bach by Brad Mehldau
  • Silk Road Ensemble w/ Yo-Yo Ma
  • Twisted Tenderness by Electronic (band–Sumner/Marr)
  • Money Jungle by Duke Ellington
  • Functional Arrhythmias by Steve Coleman & Five Elements
  • Heartwork by Carcass (n.b., harsh metal)
  • These are the Vistas by The Bad Plus
  • Emily's D+Evolution by Esperanza Spalding

And yes, Lamar, because I wanted to see if the fuss was for me (it's not). And some award-winning video game soundtracks (NieR Automata). And less-mainstream (to me) classical is occasionally cool, such as composer Dobrinka Tabakova. Finally, a coworker keeps suggesting technically interesting bands like Animals as Leaders which I need to explore more.

 

I hope there's something in here for you.

 

 

 

 

 

Nice list. About half of them I already owns so I’ll definitely check out the other half!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 3:38 AM, fas42 said:

Try this for size, a local outfit ...

 

 

So, finally some more time to go through the list.

 

This one is interesting, the band is clearly good, but too much of the song is just two chords for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 6:09 AM, wgscott said:

So, thanks for sharing! Tried it out. In many ways fascinating, very interesting. But I'm afraid most of the songs really harmonically stick to two chords. No idea why harmonic complexity is such an important point for me, but this is really what kills it for me here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 10:18 AM, Paul R said:

 

Jason found these folks, and I absolutely adore them.  The Hot Sardines. :)

 

 

http://open.qobuz.com/album/0060253797448

Interesting, Reminds me in many ways of Pink Martini. Will investigate further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 4:09 AM, Musicophile said:

So, thanks for sharing! Tried it out. In many ways fascinating, very interesting. But I'm afraid most of the songs really harmonically stick to two chords. No idea why harmonic complexity is such an important point for me, but this is really what kills it for me here.

 

Sorry, I forgot that requirement.  :oops:


--

Do facts matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...