IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

On 2/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, wgscott said:

The example I chose is from the 1990s.  I absolutely despised them until I was pranked (by a girlfriend at the time, who didn't particularly like them either) who tricked me into going to a concert in 1985. It was only then that I "got it" (and without any intoxicant).  The recording quality on this is absolutely superb, and Branford Marsalis makes a guest appearance.  If you haven't listened to this one, I suggest doing so.  You won't be disappointed.   (I like their 1980s and 1990s stuff the best, unlike "real" deadheads.)

I had the show with Branford Marsalis long before its official release. Remember the days when one could download a soundboard of just about any show that you wanted. I know that Jerry Garcia was cool about high quality audio GD shows being freely shared online although it all stopped after his passing. One show that I love is the one that gained official release as 'One From The Vault'. It was originally broadcast in the USA and the UK. There was a two disc vinyl bootleg of this show entitled 'Make Believe Ballroom (The 1975 Spotcheck)'. Friend of mine owned a copy. Prior to its official release this boot was the grail for me. I also thought 1977 was a good year for shows

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

> 3 chords??

waall, 3 chords and the truth is more than chords...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Chords_and_the_Truth

Not sure I'll ever get country. 

Even some of the more evolved Bluegrass and Americana often is not very accessible for me. Maybe I haven't spent enough time on Route 66 yet. 

The only notable exception is Mark Knopfler's exploration of the theme on "Missing.. presumed having a good time". 

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

I knew you were going to say that.

Ack - I need to go cultivate some new vices... I am getting too predictable in my old age. Either that or I am repeating myself... 

Ack - I need to go cultivate some new vices... I am getting too predictable in my old age. Either that or I am repeating myself... 

Oops - well, here's one delving way back into prehistory - like back when we were freshmen, just out of high school. :)  Ted Nealy and Yvonne Elliman put on one heck of a show with this. And the cover is very cool, enough to inspire an OCD session with headphones... I think it has at least 4 chords in it, and not as much story. 

If I remember correctly, I think the whole thing was initially inspired by Cream's _Tales of Brave Ulysses_.   

-PaScreenShot.thumb.JPG.0c48fb8d617326452dad84e366b9d5dc.JPGul 

P.S.

Here is a link to Polyphemus.  One bad cyclop!  

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

A great modern artist to check out is Gary Clark Jr, great guitarist who draws upon a ton of outside influences.  If you like bluesy/jazzy/soulful you'll like him a lot.

If you are looking for some guitar that is complex but not quite as loud as prog metal, check out Jason Becker.  If you aren't familiar with his story, he was a blazing fast metal guitarist back in the 80's, not just speed though he had great touch.  Took over for Vai in David Lee Roth's solo band.  Then got diagnosed with ALS and had to stop playing.  He's paralyzed and wheelchair bound, but composes via computer.  Some of the best guitarists alive got together and recorded the album "Triumphant Hearts" which is all his composition, it came out a few months ago and is a good listen.  Very varied guitar work, it won't blast you out.

Becker's early stuff is pure metal, he played in Cacophony with Marty Friedman back in the 80's.  Friedman is into J-pop now, don't be afraid to look there for some really complicated modern day music.  The skill level in the backing bands is WAY up there.

Another highly skilled guitarist who has been recording for some time is Sonny Landreth, he's one of the best alive IMO.  Zydeco slide with tapping and other crazy technical stuff thrown in, he can play anything.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, Musicophile said:

That said, I appreciate that musically they indeed seem to be more ambitious than your average hard rock album.

They all attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston in the early 80s. Yeah, these guys are now in their 40s!  I lived on the North Shore at the time and a good friend was in the program at Berklee.  We used to go listen to them in the rehearsal room.  They are definitely skilled, talented, trained musicians.  Not my type of music anymore, either.  

@Musicophile  Did we give you the Ry Cooder, John Hiatt, etc. hard sell yet?  I saw Sonny Landreth play with John Hiatt - and can second @BrokeLinuxPhile in saying that he is worth checking out.  

If you want something a little mellower try Jack Johnson.  Refreshingly simple, but great songs and great hooks.

A friend turned me on to this Brit band a few years ago, Big Big Train.  I like a lot of their stuff, but I understand the songs may mean more if you are a Brit.  The album English Electric has a number of great cuts alone.  This is the title track from a more recent album from 2016.

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/folklore

Talk Talk... perhaps starting with the album "The Colour of Spring"? Or Dead Can Dance (starting with the album Anastasis)?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

3 hours ago, Blake said:

Talk Talk... perhaps starting with the album "The Colour of Spring"? Or Dead Can Dance (starting with the album Anastasis)?

Absolutely Talk Talk. I'd start with The Colour of Spring or Spirit of Eden. Dead Can Dance is very cool too, although with respect I'd probably start with Toward the Within or Spirit Chaser. I was underwhelmed by Anastasis.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Musicophile said:

As many here know, I'm very much into classical music and Jazz. The occasional non-Jazz exception is weird stuff like early 1970s Genesis. 

That said, on a transatlantic flight this weekend I had the opportunity to watch Bohemian Rhapsody, which is overall really a quite decent movie.

I hadn't actively listened to Queen for a long time, and while the movie went through all the greatest hits, I noticed how great Queen were to combine melodies that an entire Wembley stadium could easily chant, with harmonic, and often even rhythmic complexity, that clearly goes beyond your typical 3 chord classical rock song. 

I was about to think "why don't they make this kind of music any more" (I'm getting older), but then I thought, that just can't be.

With today's music making facilities where everybody can have a professional level music studio on their laptop for very little money, and the possibility to become an overnight success thanks to Youtube et al., we should be in better times than ever for musical creation.

So, I'd like to ask the community here to point me to contemporary music I should be checking out:

Here's my criteria:

- More than 3 chords, ideally harmonic progressions you haven't heard a gazillion times before (3 chord music bores me, two chords music should be reserved for non-violent torture)

- However, I'm also a sucker for melodies, when stuff gets to weird, I switch off quickly

The combination of the above is rarely achieved, which makes it so interesting. 

And finally, I'm open for any genre, but should be outside Jazz or classical music.

Very much looking forward to your input!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/music/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn.html

See the comments by the other finalists (so called "art" or "classical" composers) for the Pulitzer Prize, about the winner, Kendrick Lamar's "Damn".

It's not my cup of tea, but it has all sorts of complexity. Many of us just can't hear it because our brains aren't open to the format. That may be part of the issue of "why don't they make music like this anymore".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

And now for something completely different.  Not sure what to say about this outfit... it’s been called glitz/glitch/swing.  The guy puts together some good musicians and showcases female singers, typically in a 50s swing groove.  It’s defintiel one of a kind (I think).  Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox.  This one is a cover of a recent popular song.  Personal taste for sure whether or not one will like it. 

These retro jazz bands are fun. There are quite a few now, like Big Voodoo Daddy. Love hearing those great 40’s and early 50’s R&B tunes by greats like Louis Jordan. Even earlier the 1920’s bands such as Alex Mendham with a tuba doing the bass lines. They are a blast live.

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

And now for something completely different.  Not sure what to say about this outfit... it’s been called glitz/glitch/swing.  The guy puts together some good musicians and showcases female singers, typically in a 50s swing groove.  It’s defintiel one of a kind (I think).  Scott Bradlee’s Postmodern Jukebox.  This one is a cover of a recent popular song.  Personal taste for sure whether or not one will like it. 

That exceptionally sexy Blonde is Morgan James and she is an AMAZING singer.

No electron left behind.