IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

Unfortunately, recommending music to other people is even more of a crap-shoot than recommending something like a bicycle saddle.

I'm always struck by how orthogonal my tastes are to those of pretty much anyone else. I think the only thing my wife and I have in common, in terms of music interests, is Tom Waits.

A few years ago I helped a friend of mine rip CDs, and I got to see several hundred within his collection.  I was struck by the fact we had exactly ONE CD in common, and that was one someone gave to me that I didn't really like.

With classical, it is a little bit easier, because it tends to be more formulaic.  But it is still pretty much a roll of the dice.

1 hour ago, JazzDoc said:

Someone has recommended Grateful Dead. They are perhaps, an acquired taste and are often the muse of those who were enjoying contemporary music genres back in the 1960s and 1970s. I love Grateful Dead when they stretch out and improvise. The usual format of a Grateful Dead concert was play some songs, take a break, play some longer songs and improvise and then play some more songs to finish the show. I really like the music that they created.

The example I chose is from the 1990s.  I absolutely despised them until I was pranked (by a girlfriend at the time, who didn't particularly like them either) who tricked me into going to a concert in 1985. It was only then that I "got it" (and without any intoxicant).  The recording quality on this is absolutely superb, and Branford Marsalis makes a guest appearance.  If you haven't listened to this one, I suggest doing so.  You won't be disappointed.   (I like their 1980s and 1990s stuff the best, unlike "real" deadheads.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 4:09 AM, Musicophile said:

So, thanks for sharing! Tried it out. In many ways fascinating, very interesting. But I'm afraid most of the songs really harmonically stick to two chords. No idea why harmonic complexity is such an important point for me, but this is really what kills it for me here.

Sorry, I forgot that requirement.  :oops: