IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

On 2/23/2019 at 2:06 AM, Musicophile said:

Here's my criteria:

- More than 3 chords, ideally harmonic progressions you haven't heard a gazillion times before (3 chord music bores me, two chords music should be reserved for non-violent torture)

- However, I'm also a sucker for melodies, when stuff gets to weird, I switch off quickly

The combination of the above is rarely achieved, which makes it so interesting. 

And finally, I'm open for any genre, but should be outside Jazz or classical music.

Very much looking forward to your input!

I think popular music pretty much died sometime around 1985. 95% of what I listen to now was recorded before 1980.

Here are some suggestions:

Van Morrison "Veedon Fleece" and earlier - "Astral Weeks" is phenomenal.

Jethro Tull "Wild Horses" and earlier.

Pink Floyd pre-1980.

The Moody Blues pre-1970.

The Who (the Keith Moon years).

Genesis (the Peter Gabriel years).

Jackson Browne up to 1976.

Warren Zevon

Nick Drake

I don't know how many of these actually meet your criteria....but I do know that the musics and often the lyrics of the above artists have proven captivating to me.

I have never graded music based on how complicated it was or wasn't. I have always chosen it based on how I responded to it. I couldn't care less about chord progressions. I care about the music and vocals combine with the lyrics and presentation and how that combination moves me and makes me feel.