IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

Having poked a bit of fun at you for exploration in your gym playlist. I highly suspect you already know where this is leading. 

Electronic music. This is a backwards transition in basically every way. I'll forward a halfway point closer to your age and temperament than the age demographic of 15-35.  This is someone who issues audiophile quality recordings and is focusing on his performance and SQ these days.    

To add a second, maybe the French producer duo Cassius would help ease the transition as well?

91aEnQWVB0L._SS500_.jpg

14 hours ago, JazzDoc said:

Electronic music in that it opens the door for those who may not have formal music training to engage in music creation.

It certainly does that. Much as wailing on instruments in a garage served the same purpose at one point in time. 

At the pro level it is an intricately layered, and often discordant, assemblage of everything that came before it musically. Mathematically boggling, it often tends towards sheer madness outside the most capable hands.  Young distracted hands counter discovery of this by adding mind numbing bass. 

In any case, French electro has long been one of the more enjoyable sub-genres. Musicophile is well placed to delve into this with a mind primed by the intricacies and subtlety of more refined music.  He may or may not enjoy the native simplicity of the themes exposed or deeper musical intricacies being used to draw listeners in without their need to understand why it's enjoyable. 

Here's an older song by a duo who possibly came first to mind because of starting with the letter A.  This is the style of soft vocal focused pop I mean by the term French electro.  No thumping bass or glowsticks.  Just soft enjoyable pop nothing's. 

@Musicophile just to satisfy a curiosity.  How exposed to indie rock and NPR validated contemporary music are you at home and during business travel?  

Dad rock is very much alive. Chock full of the reassuringly familiar with modernish updates that preserve the original atmosphere. It is however not recorded and pushed by the promotion vehicles charged with feeding fresh (🚮) content to cubicle bound commuters, business travelers, or the teeming masses looking to escape from the tedium of their present situation. 

I almost wonder if a travel electric guitar/physical or virtualized instrument that plugs into a set of headphones couldn't be successful here. There is a reason why so many others took to a laptop recording software and developing through their own interests to their own ends.