IGNORED

I'd like to expand my musical horizon - what is out there today with more than 3 chords?

@Musicophile It's my impression and understanding from a local (Seattle) rock band leader friend that a) rock is indeed "dead" as we olds knew it (okay, you may not be one, sorry) and b) the good stuff is online at Soundcloud and the like.

As for musically interesting and technically proficient arrangements/performances, well, maybe check out some of the suggestions on the old AudioStream.com "Weird Pop" or whatever they called that series before Lavorgna left. I keep meaning to do that myself, but am instead listening to my three versions of Aja (really), and now three versions of Carmina Burana because my son just sang it and WOW to sit ten feet from the baritone and ensemble and...well, you get the idea.

I'll put a plug in for my current favorite jazz drummer: Stanton Moore. Joe Bob says, "check it out."

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

With regard to compelling music with chords>3 and maybe a general resistance to I-IV-V, well, as someone put it, maybe we have to really cultivate the ear/brain for that. But, I do try and am definitely attracted to music that's a) rhythmic, b) arranged to change, and c) different/technically interesting (to me). Unfortunately, any given artist's oeuvre isn't always outside the norm, and then there's the matter of "consistency" and taste. So, I'm happy to discover one or two gems and then perhaps, perhaps there's more.

Put simply, "does the artist change things up?" (I'm looking for a strong yes, just like the band YES does/used to do, ha ha ha–I like almost all their stuff, not just early work.) Some recent listening sessions I've really enjoyed included (new-ish and old):

• Blue by Joni Mitchell
  • After Bach by Brad Mehldau
  • Silk Road Ensemble w/ Yo-Yo Ma
  • Twisted Tenderness by Electronic (band–Sumner/Marr)
  • Money Jungle by Duke Ellington
  • Functional Arrhythmias by Steve Coleman & Five Elements
  • Heartwork by Carcass (n.b., harsh metal)
  • These are the Vistas by The Bad Plus
  • Emily's D+Evolution by Esperanza Spalding

And yes, Lamar, because I wanted to see if the fuss was for me (it's not). And some award-winning video game soundtracks (NieR Automata). And less-mainstream (to me) classical is occasionally cool, such as composer Dobrinka Tabakova. Finally, a coworker keeps suggesting technically interesting bands like Animals as Leaders which I need to explore more.

I hope there's something in here for you.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.