IGNORED

Big Apple Change?

Jud

Not sure if someone has already reported the following rumors:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/02/21/apple-custom-arm-based-chips-2020/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've been reading such rumors for a while now.  My first question would be how will this effect Intel based Macs.  Will they work with the new all for one scheme?  Will they have to run things as VMs in the Mac OS for that to happen?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've been waiting for the new Mac Pro for a while, but if it comes out as an x86 machine I'm not sure if I'll bite.

Mac Pro's have been x86 for a while - that is what all Intel chips are.

I think Apple wants to have one OS over everything. Since OS X is a real mix of Next OS, Free BSD, and custom code it takes a lot of work. Having one OS with one type of processor, will make their control and development easier.

Not sure how powerful a processor like the ARMs can get.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

I've been reading such rumors for a while now.  My first question would be how will this effect Intel based Macs.  Will they work with the new all for one scheme?  Will they have to run things as VMs in the Mac OS for that to happen?

Apple have switched CPU architecture in the Mac before: from 68k to PPC, then to x86. 

On both occasions, they relied on software emulation to smooth the transition. That was helped by the new CPU family being significantly faster than the outgoing one, so the speed penalty wasn't notable when compared to the old hardware. Switching from x86 to ARM, this advantage will not be available. On the other hand, emulation technology has improved, drawing on JIT compilation as used by Java and other modern languages. Furthermore, software upgrade cycles are much shorter than they used to be, so most applications should get a native build fairly quickly.

Regarding existing x86 based Mac hardware, if history is any indication, they would continue to receive OS updates for a few years. Third-party software would also likely be available for both CPU types during this time.

If they are determined to make the switch, I have no doubt Apple would be able to pull it off. Worst case, they'd just bludgeon the users into submission.

20 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Not sure how powerful a processor like the ARMs can get.

That's entirely up to the microarchitecture designer. There is nothing inherently limiting in the instruction set. If anything, it should be easier to make fast ARM than an x86.

Let's see what appears... So far, fastest ARM I have where I can freely run something is 64-bit NXP's i.MX8M (quad-core) and it barely reaches lowest end of Intel quad-core Atom's. Extremely far from what bigger Intel/AMD CPUs can do. But otherwise it is quite nice piece of hardware in it's own class.

As long as it's fast, I don't really care what architecture it is.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Let's see what appears... So far, fastest ARM I have where I can freely run something is 64-bit NXP's i.MX8M (quad-core) and it barely reaches lowest end of Intel quad-core Atom's. Extremely far from what bigger Intel/AMD CPUs can do. But otherwise it is quite nice piece of hardware in it's own class.

That's a mobile/embedded chip. Things like Cavium's ThunderX2 are in a different class. Apple has a strong CPU design team (formerly PA Semi) that surely can come up with something adequate. It doesn't need to compete with the top Intel/AMD offering for use in a laptop.

7 hours ago, mansr said:

It doesn't need to compete with the top Intel/AMD offering for use in a laptop

If the general idea is to be able to develop one app across all products, I wonder whether Apple intends to stop at laptops.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Trying to be optimistic about this, I've felt for some time I rarely rarely need 'big iron'.  The computing power of my current and previous phone is plenty for almost everything I'll do.  What I'd want is to have a table with my nice monitor, keyboard and mouse.  Be able to walk up, lay my phone down, have everything connect and cast to the monitor.  They are ways to do this now of course.  But someone needs to develop a very good standard everyone could agree upon and implement it.  To the point USB 2.0 was truly nearly universal for a few years, I'd like to see such a standard be almost everywhere on almost every portable device.  The devices are powerful enough just not accessible enough for some purposes. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, Jud said:

If the general idea is to be able to develop one app across all products, I wonder whether Apple intends to stop at laptops.

It's my impression that the more powerful desktop machines have for some time been something of an after-thought for Apple, to the extent they've made any at all. Unless I'm mistaken, the latest Mac Pro is the 2013 "dustbin" model.

Haven't really looked at how it compares to the iMac Pro.

There are rumors of a Mac Pro update in June. https://www.techradar.com/news/mac-pro-2018-release-date-news-and-rumors

at one time, "big iron" meant running a finite element stress model and for cars, only the biggest manfs. could afford that; later small manfs. (like Porsche) were able to do so

in about 1980, a big Amdahl (faster than IBM big iron) was used to run the state of Washington - late one night, a graduate student ran a big (but poorly optimized) FORTRAN finite element model of heat exchange on it, crashing the system for the entire state

the high end Macs are aimed at video editing where the studios have been using Windows or other non-Mac machines recently

today, the bigly big iron is used at the National Labs for nuclear weapons research, for Global Climate finite element models, and in AI research

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

The funny thing is that the hassle of recompiling (be it ever so small) is why Apple is supposedly going to ARM across the line (or at least with laptops).