IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC, Part 5: Chord Electronics Hugo M Scaler & Hugo TT 2

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Regarding the M Scaler vs HQP, I am VERY interested in someone doing some relatively equivalent comparisons...  Anyone? :)

I have used (and still have) HQP on laptop to drive my portable iFi iDSD DAC/amp. Leaving the weird BugHeadEmperor aside for a moment, it was the best sounding s/w app I knew of at the time, and the upsampling and filters etc made worthwhile subtle improvements in that environment. A bit extra detail/dynamics/smoothness etc - but the original sound stayed fundamentally the same.

It's a huge apples/oranges shift to try to compare that to HMS/DAVE, but nevertheless I feel confident that the subtle upsampling effects that HQP gave would never compare to the transformational impact the HMS has on DAVE.

I say "transformational" because of, for example, the way HMS adds significant image height across the whole width of the soundstage. The HQP upsampling didn't even begin to be able to pull off a trick like that. I should add that I find HMS transformational in some ways and rather subtle in others. When I listened to a HMS/TT2 in noisy meet conditions, I noticed the difference the HMS made, but it seemed rather underwhelming under such conditions. I agree with those who say it takes some time to tune in to the full range of benefits.

BTW, I made a typo in my last post that I can't now correct: I described my SR7 as single rail. What I meant to say was that it is single regulated (with 3 rails).