IGNORED

Innuos Zenith Mk3 or OpticalRendu + separate server?

McNulty

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Just FYI:  OCD Hi-Fi Guy is Mike Powell of Verastarr

And he sells a $2299 listening chair (and some more with the optional extras $125 iPad holder, $125 large cup holder, $75 remote control pouch, $150 footrest extension).

Yes, he obviously is saving us 'audiophiles' from the shirts and tie wearing corporate guys 🙄

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

I’m no Innuos fan but my oh my, this guy has so many of his stated facts wrong, just plain wrong. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

I am not saying he is right. But, what did he say that was wrong. Talk about points of consequence only. That motherboard does indeed look like an off the shelf Super Micro motherboard. It says "Super" right on it. So it is not some custom designed motherboard. The linear power supply looks rather normal. So what did he get wrong?

3 hours ago, k-man said:

And he sells a $2299 listening chair (and some more with the optional extras $125 iPad holder, $125 large cup holder, $75 remote control pouch, $150 footrest extension).

Yes, he obviously is saving us 'audiophiles' from the shirts and tie wearing corporate guys 🙄

My listening chair, a Stressless, cost more than that.....

Just now, Dutch said:

Too much to waste time and energy on.

In other words, you can't write something that backs up your assertion. At least not on the major points. It is clear that he said a lot of things about unimportant details that were wrong.

A shootout between the Audiolinux and Euphony would be magnificent! Looking forward to what you would like to share.

And OpticalRendu could be grear as well... Just need to get my hands on one. I remember listening to the Innuos at the 2018 Munich and the difference between the SE and the Statement was so big that I suggested to the guy that should only sell the Statement :)

I have been of the mindset that keeping the server/heavy processing be kept in another room and sending the output (via fiber) to a streamer (which is what I use). 

It is interesting that many of the users, actually everyone of them (in the Innuos case) has reported better to significant improvement with server direct to DAC v.s. server + streamer + DAC config.  That just seems counter intuitive, but has peeked my interest nonetheless and obviously its all subjective + system dependent. 

One "knock" I have with the Innuos is that it has a lot of functions I don't need/want and thus are paying for. 

This sonictransporter which has embedd HQP and sonicorbiter OS sounds like a great alternative

My rig

31 minutes ago, Foggie said:

I have been of the mindset that keeping the server/heavy processing be kept in another room and sending the output (via fiber) to a streamer (which is what I use). 

It is interesting that many of the users, actually everyone of them (in the Innuos case) has reported better to significant improvement with server direct to DAC v.s. server + streamer + DAC config.  That just seems counter intuitive, but has peeked my interest nonetheless and obviously its all subjective + system dependent. 

One "knock" I have with the Innuos is that it has a lot of functions I don't need/want and thus are paying for. 

This sonictransporter which has embedd HQP and sonicorbiter OS sounds like a great alternative

I think we are finding that the assumption about low power in the endpoint is not the only answer.  I have an i7 NUC running either AudioLinux or Euphony and it outperforms the low power endpoint I was using.

Thanks for the podcast above, I am listening to it now.  

Lets keep the subject on the Innous though.  Not other products.

4 hours ago, Foggie said:

Hi Foggie,

I went directly from an Audiostore Prestige 2 (UK version of SonicTransporter running same SonicOrbiter OS) to an Innuos Zenith mkII and the jump in SQ was well worth the price difference.

The SonicTransporter / Audiostore Prestige line are good value at that price point. The Zeniths are better. Simples.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

12 hours ago, bobfa said:

I think we are finding that the assumption about low power in the endpoint is not the only answer.  I have an i7 NUC running either AudioLinux or Euphony and it outperforms the low power endpoint I was using.

Thanks for the podcast above, I am listening to it now.  

Lets keep the subject on the Innous though.  Not other products.

Correct.  I am interested in now looking at my server BIOS, but unlikely a lot can be done as its custom MB.  Even the Win10 audiophile optimizer program that many use and like, would appear (to me) to be a major pain to use and maintain due to the constant change / updates to WIn.  I have no issues with Win platform and am technically proficient with it, but I do like the idea of a purpose built low level type OS running the server v.s. WIn+Mac.  

I'm not saying one platform/method is better than the other, as there are too many variables in everyone's rig, but when adding up the multitude of noise makers in the chain from start to finish of any given system (I mean everything) it's easy to conceive the significance of what's being talked about here.  Comes down to actually trying yourself, which is not easy.

My rig

8 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Foggie,

I went directly from an Audiostore Prestige 2 (UK version of SonicTransporter running same SonicOrbiter OS) to an Innuos Zenith mkII and the jump in SQ was well worth the price difference.

The SonicTransporter / Audiostore Prestige line are good value at that price point. The Zeniths are better. Simples.

Cheers,

Alan

For me, that just seems odd there would be as much difference that you cite, but certainly don't disagree with your experience - how could I. 

It would be a fun experience to try something like this and have such a marked improvement, but it isn't easy to cycle components in and out to test.

My rig

16 minutes ago, Foggie said:

For me, that just seems odd there would be as much difference that you cite, but certainly don't disagree with your experience - how could I. 

It would be a fun experience to try something like this and have such a marked improvement, but it isn't easy to cycle components in and out to test.

When I had the Audiostore Prestige I had a fairly convoluted chain to try and maximise the SQ which evolved but basically entailed a MicroRendu, ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1.

With the Zenith MKII the SQ I was getting direct to my DAC - by both Ethernet and USB was so good I was able to dispense with the spaghetti chain of fixer-uppers.

Hence my argument earlier in this thread that it's better to not introduce noise than to try and remove it later. That was my experience anyway.

I then got my Zenith SE and it was even better still.

However much to my annoyance people said and I found it be to true that the TX-USBUltra further improved the USB output from the SE. But given we're now talking about a £1200 quid fixer-upper that needs a £400/500 power supply to shine it's a big leap compared to the relatively modest price points of the ISO Regen and SU-1.

I've no regrets as I enjoyed and loved them all. But Innuos know what they are doing and the Zenith series are very well engineered. The MKII impressed me so much I actually wondered whether I needed to bother with the SE at all. But given I'd already parted with an eye-watering figure for the SE I stuck to the plan.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

When I had the Audiostore Prestige I had a fairly convoluted chain to try and maximise the SQ which evolved but basically entailed a MicroRendu, ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1.

With the Zenith MKII the SQ I was getting direct to my DAC - by both Ethernet and USB was so good I was able to dispense with the spaghetti chain of fixer-uppers.

Hence my argument earlier in this thread that it's better to not introduce noise than to try and remove it later. That was my experience anyway.

I then got my Zenith SE and it was even better still.

However much to my annoyance people said and I found it be to true that the TX-USBUltra further improved the USB output from the SE. But given we're now talking about a £1200 quid fixer-upper that needs a £400/500 power supply to shine it's a big leap compared to the relatively modest price points of the ISO Regen and SU-1.

I've no regrets as I enjoyed and loved them all. But Innuos know what they are doing and the Zenith series are very well engineered. The MKII impressed me so much I actually wondered whether I needed to bother with the SE at all. But given I'd already parted with an eye-watering figure for the SE I stuck to the plan.

Cheers,

Alan

For the record...Sonore did not promote the daisy changing of these devices. Sonore has instead always promoted the micro/ultraRendu as a standalone endpoint or renderer with an external power supply. Back in 2016 when the microRendu launched we designed in everything we knew to be important within the limits of the available hardware. When the ultraRendu came out we expanded the design and included the newly available Crystek FEMTO oscillator. In my opinion the ultraRendu would have been the next step for you instead of adding an IsoRegen to a microRendu. We also provided a hardware update to the original microRendu with just the new Crystek FEMTO oscillator. This update did not make the microRendu into an ultraRendu per se, but it was a great option for pre-existing owners. Anyway, I respect your decision to experiment and/or use any gear you choose.

19 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

When the ultraRendu came out we expanded the design and included the newly available Crystek FEMTO oscillator. In my opinion the ultraRendu would have been the next step for you instead of adding an IsoRegen to a microRendu. 

Though to be fair, the ISO REGEN--with the same FEMTO clock as the ultraRendu, plus USB3.1 hub, plus full galvanic isolation--cost @BigAlMc $135 less than the cost difference between his micrRendu and the ultraRendu.  And it mounts right at the input of his DAC/DDC with the help of the included free USPCB A>B Adapter.

Just sayin'... x-D  

I've enjoyed the microRendu/ISO REGEN combo in my system for some time.  Just waiting for the opticalRendu.

35 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We also provided a hardware update to the original microRendu with just the new Crystek FEMTO oscillator. This update did not make the microRendu into an ultraRendu per se, but it was a great option for pre-existing owners. 

Hi Jesus,

Was this the 1.4 board upgrade?

If so then I bought it via Martin Smith in the UK.

Cheers,

Alan