McNulty

Innuos Zenith Mk3 or OpticalRendu + separate server?

Rate this topic

It took me a whole afternoon digesting this thread. I am very interested in the discussion, because I am considering an Innuos Statement to my system.

My dealer assures me it will make a big difference.

But the people in dCS (I use a Vivaldi stack) are reluctant with regards to the benefits. They say that whatever happens before the upsampler, as long as it is bit perfect, is of little meaning.

They put their money where their mouth is. dCS last move was to launch the Mosaic, that is kind of an upnp control point+renderer capabilities. And they chose the minimserver as reference to feed the music locally. 

I experimented with Roon from my qnap Nas, then from an i3 nuc running rock, then from a full tower i9 with 32gb ram running rock and running Windows server with audiophileoptimzer (this is the computer I used with HQPlayer before the Vivaldi). No difference. Compared Roon to the minimserver. No diference. As long as I don't change the network (I am using a SOtM switch connect via optical to my main router, with hdplex200w lps), "the songs remains the same".

My doubt is whether the Innuos network output, connected directly to the dCS upsampler, will make a difference. Does anyone have any experience with similar setups, using dCS products and Innuos?

I have also used UltraRendu with lps1 and lps1.2 from uptone. Sweet sound. But no comparison to the Vivaldi upsampler (and given the price points, one should not expect a different outcome). 

42 minutes ago, jvvita said:

It took me a whole afternoon digesting this thread. I am very interested in the discussion, because I am considering an Innuos Statement to my system.

My dealer assures me it will make a big difference.

But the people in dCS (I use a Vivaldi stack) are reluctant with regards to the benefits. They say that whatever happens before the upsampler, as long as it is bit perfect, is of little meaning.

They put their money where their mouth is. dCS last move was to launch the Mosaic, that is kind of an upnp control point+renderer capabilities. And they chose the minimserver as reference to feed the music locally. 

I experimented with Roon from my qnap Nas, then from an i3 nuc running rock, then from a full tower i9 with 32gb ram running rock and running Windows server with audiophileoptimzer (this is the computer I used with HQPlayer before the Vivaldi). No difference. Compared Roon to the minimserver. No diference. As long as I don't change the network (I am using a SOtM switch connect via optical to my main router, with hdplex200w lps), "the songs remains the same".

My doubt is whether the Innuos network output, connected directly to the dCS upsampler, will make a difference. Does anyone have any experience with similar setups, using dCS products and Innuos?

I have also used UltraRendu with lps1 and lps1.2 from uptone. Sweet sound. But no comparison to the Vivaldi upsampler (and given the price points, one should not expect a different outcome). 

I would be shocked if you don't hear improvement, but I don't have the Vivaldi stack. 

Maybe you can contact this person - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/getting-the-most-from-vivaldi-and-roon/39025/25

The Vivaldi Upsampler worked with the ethernet output of the Innuos Zenith SE, no problem. The sound was much better than before the use of the Innuos. They work really well together.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:32 AM, jvvita said:

In theory. Not in practice from my long experience (I have used dCS since 1998 or 9).

I have used an Innuos Zenith MkII into my Vivaldi 2 (USB connection) and now use a Melco N17H/2 as NAS feeding a dCS Network Bridge ( I do not have  a Vivaldi upsampler as a  personal preference). If one does not consider anything else then both the Innuos and the Network Bridge deliver bit perfect data streams to the Vivaldi DAC. Do they sound the same? Hardly. Did the Innuos and my (then) PC based music replay system, also delivering a bit perfect stream, sound the same. No. Haven't tried it yet but will the Melco used as a full USB streamer  connected directly to the DAC sound the same as using its direct ethernet connection to the Network Bridge/DAC ?  I doubt it.

The Innuos Statement is a pretty expensive item. At this level I would expect the dealer to either set up a convincing demonstration of it at his premises or, preferably, bring it to my home for an audition.

No, I didn't say that. I said that my PC based system sounded different as did an Innuos Zenith MK II,  to my Melco ( as NAS) / dCS Network Bridge source. I have not used HQ player or a dedicated ethernet card. I was using JRiver + various ifi USB conditioning devices. The HQ player etc.  that you raise is therefore another set of variables and one that I have no experience of. I would mention, though, that the Melco has an advantage when used as an NAS in that it plugs directly into the Network Bridge and therefore avoids a network switch. Have a look at Melco's website if you need further detail.

I guess that as the Melco/dCS is now my source and not the Zenith MK.II or the PC/JRiver setup you could deduce that I consider the Melco/dCS superior to either. However the Zenith MKII is not the Innuos Statement which may or may not be better ( see earlier postings in this thread to which my initial posting referred).

As I indicated earlier if one is going to spend the large sum needed for the Innuos Statement ,or other high end component, then you had better hear it first at home on loan or at a well conducted dealer demonstration. Ultimately it is your opinion that counts, not mine. Incidentally, for example,  I have just noted that one of the few UK dealers ( The Audiobarn) who has a Statement offers it on a 14 day loan to genuine prospective purchasers. That is the kind of dealer relationship that  you need to seek. I would say the same if you are looking at a Melco ( or other)/Network Bridge combination. In my case the dealer brought the pair to my home so I could directly compare them to what I had. There is a financial limit to components that I am prepared to just take a punt on and 8-10K gbp certainly exceeds that limit 😉.