IGNORED

Innuos Zenith Mk3 or OpticalRendu + separate server?

McNulty

I’d recommend the OpticalRendu based on your existing optical network.

I would only recommend the Innuos over the OpticalRendu if you were needing the ripping functionality.

As for the server, I would suggest waiting for an optical based solution, or at least a short term cost effective solution i.e ROCK.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, barrows said:

I am a consultant to Sonore, and I make absolutely nothing from sales of the opticalRendu mentioned in this thread. 

It’s a little confusing, but from what I have read in Sonore’s own thread, aren’t Sonore Signature Series Rendu users sending their units to you to upgrade to the optical element? I’m not trying to call you out, but there must be some vested interest (royalties or labour ) here which supports @BigAlMc previous post.

There’s a bit for audiophiles to ponder about the quality of commercial ‘sources’/servers, but I would not buy into that. For me, the data remains the same from source to DAC. I’d say what influences or degrades the sound is what is connected to the DAC and can potentially pollute (electical) the rest of the chain (at home). Even through non-wire delivery (optical and Wi-fi) it’s the receivers that need paying attention to, otherwise that noise will end up reaching the DAC. Hence it is for anyone to speculate (or not) if an OpticalModule improves things further over alternative FMCs.

If one hears a big difference between music sources  from the internet of lossless quality and local playback, then they have got their setup all wrong or it needs some investigating. Ultimately a one box (Innuos) or 2 box approach (Roon server+rendu) depends on if the OP likes it all in one place, or if the dedicated server needs to be separated away from the music system.

FWIW I have followed a few occasions a recommendation from Charles Hansen in one of his AudioAsylum posts about unplugging every single electrical equipment from the mains, and boy did he have a point. I can’t recommend that for every listening session, but it does help to find practical solutions to elimate such interferences.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Just FYI:  OCD Hi-Fi Guy is Mike Powell of Verastarr

And he sells a $2299 listening chair (and some more with the optional extras $125 iPad holder, $125 large cup holder, $75 remote control pouch, $150 footrest extension).

Yes, he obviously is saving us 'audiophiles' from the shirts and tie wearing corporate guys 🙄