IGNORED

Innuos Zenith Mk3 or OpticalRendu + separate server?

McNulty

16 hours ago, barrows said:

I disagree entirely with this assertion.

Here is an (albeit extreme) example of why:  Let's say you have a compound fracture: who do you consult to deal with the problem, a car salesman who has a hobby of giving medical advice for free, or an orthopedic surgeon, a professional, who is actually trained in his field and who charges money for his services?

Just because the Internet allows for anyone to post their opinion on anything does not make anyone an "expert".

Lol the old armchair argument again. I don’t think that one need to be a manufacturer to understand pros and cons of diverse systems, and in the end it doesn’t really matters which is best in theory if it doesn’t also is it in practise.

Sonore has claimed that nothing upstream of their renderer make any difference for years whereas many people can hear a clear difference between switchers, servers, software and cables. Not many, if anyone, have had the chance to hear the new OpticalRendu and compare it to the Innuos Zenith Mk3, so the whole debate is kind of meaningless IMO.

23 hours ago, vortecjr said:

“Nothing” is to strong a word. It’s my opinion that the software can matter because some can resample and some have very good algorithms. On the other hand I have measured some of the proposed network tweaks and found nothing compelling about them and when I posted my findings you guys want nothing to do with it. My network is the least optimized here and my server is an unoptimsed Synology NAS with switching supply and 5 spinning drives. My apologies, but I personally don’t need an expensive server to get stunning results. 

Yes I remember, but your findings (that server and PSU for the router/switch) didn’t match my own listening tests. All gear has to be good to get stunning results IMO, and that includes gear upstream of the renderer. The more revealing the rest of your system is, the more important the gear upstream will become.

45 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I can only, in good faith, report the facts and I'm not going to argue your perception. Also, the facts remain the facts no matter who agrees with you. My gear is quite good IMO. The Synology NAS, AT&T fiber service and router, TrendNet switch, cables are all quite good. I'm also getting stunning results. Last night after a day of fun posting here on A.S. I turned off the lights and fired up my Signature Rendu SE with optical input for the first time. My conclusion (audiophile euphoric type expressions side) is that it's sad that people feel they need to do more than they have to get stunning results. BTW my opinion is independent of what the OP chooses as his solution.     

What are the facts you are talking about? Is it maybe that the gear upstream of the ultraRendu matters after all, or why else would Sonore start producing stuff like the opiticalRendu and Sonore opticalModule that is meant to "block" the noise coming upstream of the renderer?

2 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have conducted a series of tests based on some of the network tweaks proposed here on CA. The Rendu series is meant to be a remote output for streaming. These units are optically isolated from the network and used for bit perfect playback. So we have 100% galvanic isolation and no re-sampling on board as the design parameters. The opticalModule is a natural accessory for the opticalRendu being that people need to convert cable Ethernet to optical Ethernet and we want to guarantee 100% compatibility. The opticalModule is in pre-production so I'm using a TrendNet switch to convert cable Ethernet to optical Ethernet at the moment. We don't expect everyone to need a switch so the opticalModule is a simple way to do the same convention.

I repeat, what are the facts you are talking about?

You may believe that the constant arguing and promoting of the tech you are selling is good for business, I think not.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

For example a linear supply on a switch made no change at the output of the DAC. Im providing an alternative view based on my gear as it should be. 

That you didn’t measure any difference on the output of your DAC doesn’t qualify as “facts” for that switches, servers and their PSU has an impact on SQ, or not. You didn’t even show the measurement, just said it was no difference. I don’t have the time to explain all the thing you need to do correct to get reliable measurements, but there are many books and article that you can read.  

If it was a fact what you’re claiming the EtherREGEN for example wouldn’t make any difference.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Because the isolation provided by Wi-fi brought me massive improvement vs all the other strategies I tried, including a direct cable, I was pretty darned delighted with the results.  

Don’t take this the wrong way, but if wi-fi brought you massive improvement over wired LAN it likely mean that you have some weird thing going on upstream, I believe.