IGNORED

Innuos Zenith Mk3 or OpticalRendu + separate server?

McNulty

5 minutes ago, barrows said:

@Superdad, has noted the the built in power supply of the Mini has a very large leakage current  problem.  So, I ground my Mini to shunt the leakage current and make it a non issue. 

Just FYI: 

Grounding the computer only shunts the high-source-impedance leakage; It does nothing to eliminate the much larger amplitude, broadband, low-source-impedance AC leakage inherent in all SMPS units.  And our course the Mac mini is far from the only computer with an SMPS.

Now, where there is room to investigate further (which I have mentioned in this thread) is with the performance of the upstream clocks.  While it is virtually impossible to come up with a viable explanation as to how these clocks would matter, considering the asynchronous transmission of Ethernet data, and the fact that the Internet actually works, despite the loads of accumulating phase noise from thousands of clocks along the way (if indeed that inaccuracy actually accumulates) there is enough anecdotal information to warrant further investigation.  So John Swenson is investigating this reported phenomena, and is trying to measure it-I look forward to seeing his results, and perhaps an explanation-because right now, no one has ever offered even the wildest theory as to how this could matter. 

Actually, over a year ago John put forth a very viable and not wild theory as to the mechanisms:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37418-usb-jitter-why-does-it-matter/?do=findComment&comment=735512

And development of his sophisticated measurement system (which UpTone has been funding) is coming along well, though as you know, product development keeps getting in the way.  When it is producing results, it will demonstrate the difference between simple Ethernet galvanic isolation (ala an FMC such as the opticalModule) and true isolated clock domain reclocking that the EtherREGEN will provide.  

And while it is anyone's guess just yet as to how much difference will be heard, the widespread anecdotal reports of what folks have been hearing with various clocking (of Ethernet and USB) lead us to believe that our first of its kind isolated final clock domain solution (EtherREGEN) will be quite effective.

Exciting times! :D

@Superdad.  But the above noise does not, generally speaking, go through ethernet transformers, and is not an issue in an Ethernet connected system as per my example.  While I would be concerned about this noise in a directly connected computer: mini-USB-DAC, I would not in the Ethernet environment of my example.

Ah, yes, you are correct in that case. :)

I know you are trying to sell your Mini mods and the very nice JS-2 supply here...

Very funny.  That was not the point of my post.  Beside, we are oversold on JS-2s nearly every month.  Can't build more than 25 per month. B|

I need to get back to work here, lots on my plate, but will read JS' hypothesis linked above when I have a moment.  BTW, that title is USB jitter, and not what we are talking about here, USB jitter is well addressed by the Femto clocking in the Rendu's.  But perhaps the thesis addresses ethernet as well...

The hypothesis applies to Ethernet as well.  You'll see that John indicates that.  And it is why we are going to the trouble and expense to use 600MHz active digital isolators, differential clocking, and 10GHz differential flip-flops--all in their own separate clock and power domain--in the EtherREGEN.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

When the ultraRendu came out we expanded the design and included the newly available Crystek FEMTO oscillator. In my opinion the ultraRendu would have been the next step for you instead of adding an IsoRegen to a microRendu. 

Though to be fair, the ISO REGEN--with the same FEMTO clock as the ultraRendu, plus USB3.1 hub, plus full galvanic isolation--cost @BigAlMc $135 less than the cost difference between his micrRendu and the ultraRendu.  And it mounts right at the input of his DAC/DDC with the help of the included free USPCB A>B Adapter.

Just sayin'... x-D  

I've enjoyed the microRendu/ISO REGEN combo in my system for some time.  Just waiting for the opticalRendu.

• 2 months later...

I think you gents are all arguing about how to dress up the rear end of the horse.  x-D

We expect you’ll get to see its face—and the rear will mostly cease to matter—once EtherREGEN ships.  

True data, power, and clock isolation—that’s what the endpoint wants.  The impenetrable moat.  9_9