IGNORED

Stream some music, and kill the planet

wgscott

Sorry, but I gotta say it................FAKE NEWS!

A junior high journalist shouldn't have made all the bone headed mistakes in that article.  These people seem to not get concepts involved in the physical world.  

So do we make everyone play their own musical instrument for the most minimal impact or go with a streaming carbon tax?  I know we aren't going to just let music consumers decide on their own. 

Besides this is nothing compared to the carbon cost of bit coin mining. That almost makes coal mining look good. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

50 minutes ago, wgscott said:

according to this erudite bit of journalism from the BBC:  http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190207-why-streaming-music-may-be-bad-for-climate-change

May be it is true but it is not only streaming that use electricity, our daily lives now depends on machines and equipment run on electricity.  Anyone serious about that should stop using computer, stop driving cars, stop using bulbs, air conditioning/heater, mobile phones. 

MetalNuts

Perhaps MQA is a good thing after all - reducing the storage requirements and network bandwidth consumption of downloads for streamed Hi-Res music. Furthermore, the offline playback capability in streaming services like Tidal mitigates this perceived risk to an extent anyway.

On a more serious note, carbon-neutral data centres (UK spelling) are a thing and new ones strive to be as carbon neutral as possible. Fully carbon-neutral data centres already exist.

1 hour ago, Taz777 said:

Perhaps MQA is a good thing after all - reducing the storage requirements and network bandwidth consumption of downloads for streamed Hi-Res music.

Except, of course, that it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Taz777 said:

On a more serious note, carbon-neutral data centres (UK spelling) are a thing and new ones strive to be as carbon neutral as possible. Fully carbon-neutral data centres already exist.

Someone was telling me about a university (might have been Oxford) using waste heat from a data centre to heat the botany department's greenhouses.

5 hours ago, Teresa said:

How about 2 out of 5? 

1. I don't own a car, instead I walk or ride the bus.
  2. I don't own a cell phone, instead I use a corded landline phone.

P.S. @wgscott's linked article made me feel better about preferring physical SACDs over DSD downloads. I got into DSD downloads for music not released on SACD.

Another advantage of your environmentally friendly SACDs is you don’t have to worry about them deteriorating, the polycarbonate plastic they are made of will be with us until the end of time. 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:37 PM, Teresa said:

How about 2 out of 5? 

1. I don't own a car, instead I walk or ride the bus.
  2. I don't own a cell phone, instead I use a corded landline phone.

P.S. @wgscott's linked article made me feel better about preferring physical SACDs over DSD downloads. I got into DSD downloads for music not released on SACD.

I have no need for a car too.  The public transport in my place is very good.  Everywhere in my place is reachable in about 1 hour. 

MetalNuts

On 2/19/2019 at 7:45 AM, daverich4 said:

Another advantage of your environmentally friendly SACDs is you don’t have to worry about them deteriorating, the polycarbonate plastic they are made of will be with us until the end of time. 

They might become unreadable in 50 to 100 years. Perhaps by then we might have mass>energy>mass replicators to transform them into something useful.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I have three cars but I can only drive one at a time as well. This is a bummer because I like driving. One of my cars gets a whopping 17 miles per gallon...on the highway.  The V8 in it is almost as large as a Cooper Mini.  My new aspirational vehicle is the upcoming Ford F-250 with a brand new 7.3 liter naturally aspirated V8.  I like carbon, carbon taste good 😋

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Our 2010 Camry with a V4 gets 19 mpg.

Wow. Your Camry should have an in line four. My sister has one the same year. She usually gets more like 25 or 26 mpg.  Higher on long trips.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Our 2010 Camry with a V4 gets 19 mpg.

That would be really cool if it actually had a V4!  It's either a v6 or an inline 4. 

That's probably about right.  Most folks believe the indicator on their dash or the EPA estimation on their sticker.  Both of these numbers are inflated for the usual reasons.

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

Wow. Your Camry should have an in line four. My sister has one the same year. She usually gets more like 25 or 26 mpg.  Higher on long trips.

Unfortunately, she's really only getting that good of mileage if the wind is at her back everywhere she goes...

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

OK.  I used "V" where I should not have.

But I doubt that is the cause of the low MPG.  Under identical driving conditions, our hybrid FUV gets 32-34 mpg.

This is a good source:

https://www.motortrend.com/real-mpg/

I see the 2015 Camry (I assume the inline 4) gets a real world rating of 17.1 in the city, versus an EPA rating of 24.  Since the dash mileage indicators exaggerate around 1.5 mpg (Honda being the worse manufacture, indicating about 2+ mpg over on average), your 19 number makes sense given mixed driving conditions, etc.

One of the interesting trends in the last 5 or so years is that most new vehicles are now actually slightly exceeding  their EPA highway number.  Still well below the city average however.  The trend towards turbo's allows the  manufactures to get EPA numbers well above real world...

I just looked at my Toyota Sequoia numbers here:

https://www.motortrend.com/real-mpg/

somehow they got 14.4 in the city and 19.8 on the highway!  My real averages (by recording gallons put in and actual miles driven - dash indicator ignored) are almost identical to the EPA numbers of 13 city and 17 highway.  

I do drive like Batman however... 😋

13 hours ago, mansr said:

It's true. When I travel outside my city, it's usually to another country.

If your definition of walking distances are hours of walking including walking to the airport with luggage, I will not argue with you.  Anyway, the whole planet earth may be within your "walking distance", what is the point of flying?

MetalNuts