IGNORED

Listen and choose the 8th generation digital copy part Two

esldude

Listen and choose the 8th generation digital copy  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Jennifer Warnes which file is a copy?

• File A is the copy
    • File B is the copy
    • They all sound the same to me
    • They all sound different to me
    • skipped
  2. 2. Bob Marley which file is a copy?

• File A is the copy
    • File B is the copy
    • They all sound the same to me
    • They all sound different to me
    • skipped

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/06/19 at 04:57 AM

A chance to hear what multiple copies of DA and AD conversion do to a music file. 

This is part two of my other poll.  Might be best to keep most discussion in the first part.  If you missed it here is the link to part 1 below. 

I’m making this a poll, but you don’t have to vote. One of these files has been thru 8 generations of copying. So it is a chance to hear what damage is done with multiple digital copies of a 44.1 khz 16 bit file. Would be nice to hear from you if you listen to these to get your thoughts.

The two linked zip files will open into three wav files. One is labeled a Reference, one is A and one is B. Either A or B is the same as the Reference file. Please choose in the poll the one which is a copy. The copy has been thru 8 generations of DA to AD conversion. So it should be the odd one out on sound quality.

Each file is a 30 second snippet of a full song.

Your choices are:

A is a copy.

B is a copy.

They all sound the same to me.

They all sound different to me.

Skipped (meaning you skipped listening to this file)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v60bqlqdfbcktf4/Jennifer Warnes.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vnoquxjisu70zd/Bob Marley.zip?dl=0

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

38 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Found this thread before the other, and went for the Bob Marley - good choice, made it easy. The copy is all round duller, has lost sparkle, life and texture - has the listening to a transistor radio quality.

And pray tell which are you calling the copy.  Is it A or perhaps you chose B?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

27 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Clearly your system is not fully sorted ;)

It would appear that it's your system that needs a little bit more than  just sorting, if you can't hear much difference with the Jennifer Warnes snippet !!!

It's not quite transistor radio quality though .:D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Dennis

Which track and album is the Jennifer Warnes snippet from ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Will do so shortly. I make it a rule that if something strikes me straightaway, that I "go away for awhile" - and then come back for a second round, to see if it hits me the same when I have 'refreshed'.

Which I just did. A is the copy - the quality of the percussion strikes are the giveaway.

Just now, sandyk said:

It would appear that it's your system that needs a little bit more than  just sorting if you can't hear much difference with the Jennifer Warnes snippet.!!!

It's not quite transistor radio quality though .:D

Nah, it was Bob Marley, not Jennifer. All the other tracks, including Jennifer, took me less than a minute to pick.

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Nah, it was Bob Marley, not Jennifer. All the other tracks, including Jennifer, took me less than a minute to pick.

Perhaps you should try the Jennifer Warnes track again and listen for any remaining 3D type presentation  ? :P

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

I did. And all the other tracks, too.

See my edited reply.

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Will do so shortly. I make it a rule that if something strikes me straightaway, that I "go away for awhile" - and then come back for a second round, to see if it hits me the same when I have 'refreshed'.

Which I just did. A is the copy - the quality of the percussion strikes are the giveaway.

Agreed, on that track the percussion is revealing. The excercise is not so easy as our auditory memory is so short. 

I would be curious to know if any one else found the sound quality of Archimago's files to be inferior. 

3 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Agreed, on that track the percussion is revealing. The excercise is not so easy as our auditory memory is so short. 

I would be curious to know if any one else found the sound quality of Archimago's files to be inferior. 

Why should that surprise you ?

Like Dennis he believes that all that matters is the 1s and 0s, which is completely at odds with the large number of posters in Rajiv's massive thread elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Seems that you didn't vote yet? And you, Frank? C'mon guys, this should be a walk in the park for your listening skills and systems ;)

I   couldn't be bothered !

Dennis keeps flogging that dead horse.

5 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Not sure i follow you. 

Have you listened to Archimago's files? 

I have previously listened to files from Archimago and have very little interest in further wasting my time with the lacklustre samples from either him or his disciples. If you want to hear decent quality music files, try downloading the samples from Mario that aren't multi generational copies.;)

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Dennis

Which track and album is the Jennifer Warnes snippet from ?

Alex

The Famous Blue Raincoat

Track #2 Bird on a Wire. 

4 minutes ago, STC said:

Only 2 votes?  @esldude, did you mislable the tracks by any chance?

I double checked everything.  I don't think I did any mis-labeling.  PM me if you see something that indicates I did and I'll check on it. 

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

I double checked everything.  I don't think I did any mis-labeling.  PM me if you see something that indicates I did and I'll check on it. 

Maybe not. Just started to listen to the other thread and I am judging on preferred SQ. Again - one of the copy sounded better than the original. That's not the purpose of this poll.

Just now, STC said:

Maybe not. Just started to listen to the other thread and I am judging on preferred SQ. Again - one of the copy sounded better than the original. That's not the purpose of this poll.

Would be interesting to know which one that was.  The purpose is to see if people can hear the difference.  So initially a difference is all the poll concerns.  

I'm not claiming any scientific basis for such a poll.  I'd hope it might be interesting for people to hear the differences without knowing which are which.  I think some would be very surprised how close such a copy sounds.  Not that it is necessarily indistinguishable.  I thought voting in the poll might garner a little more engagement with the topic.  As the usual when I've done listening polls, people seem reluctant to vote in them.  I didn't even make it a public poll.  So if no one leaves a comment they can vote anonymously and no one will know if they are wrong or right. 

And I don't think Alex ever votes in my polls.  :(