the_doc735

what is the best audiophile switch?

5 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

what is it please?

see here posted earlier and in my signature below...:

ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power strip > EtherRegen switch powered with Ciunas Supercaps 7.5v LPS > Antipodes DXe roon core> PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac 'Windom'> Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors. PH SR4 power supplies. In addition my reference SQ is a modified SD card Player powered by Ian Canada LifePo4/Ultracaps mod outputting 2x 3.3v > I2S module > PS Audio DAC.

I guess this is as good a thread to ask this question as any.....

I have a HTPC that has a slot open to install my JCAT LAN card.  But I need to install a switch into the network at this point.

I have a Lumin X1 that has both Optical SFP module port as well as regular ethernet network input port.  I have decided that I want to try using the GigaFoil V4 inline ethernet filter and then go into the X1 Network input...not the Optical port on the X1.

My question is if the benefits of the JCAT LAN card are diminished when I install the Cisco switch?

These are the two possible options I am looking at.

Option 1:  HTPC > JCAT LAN > Cat 6 > Cisco Switch > Cat 6 > GigaFoil V4 > Cat6 > Lumin X1 Network Port

Option 2: HTPC > Mobo LAN > Cat6 > Cisco Switch > Cat6 > GigaFoil V4 > Cat6 > Lumin X1 Network Port

If I understand this correctly the Cisco switch would reclock the signal and the benefits of the JCAT LAN are no longer there.  Is this basically the case?  The JCAT is powered by an Uptone JS-2 is that is of any consequence...

Gone fishing in Vinyl.. ✝️

I'm currently using the Cisco 2960-8-TC Catalyst switch and with all the audiophile switches being released was wondering if one of these would be a worthwile upgrade over the Cisco.

Has anyone compared the Cisco Catalyst in their system with products like the SOtM sNH-10G or switches from AQVox, Paul Pang or TLS?  

Most comparisons of audiophile switches I have found seem to be with low cost consumer grade switches, see for instance https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/05/sotm-snh-10g-audiophile-ethernet-switch-review/3/ and https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-90-mergingplayer-pl8-page-2

On 2/19/2019 at 3:52 AM, the_doc735 said:

back to topic please!

what is the best audiophile switch? 

..thread hijacked!

Direct connection.

Lumin X1, iFi PRO iDSD, iFi PRO iCAN, Questyle Twelve (Master), Marantz AV8805, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, Ultimate Ears UE-18, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 4/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, McNulty said:

I'm currently using the Cisco 2960-8-TC Catalyst switch and with all the audiophile switches being released was wondering if one of these would be a worthwile upgrade over the Cisco.

Has anyone compared the Cisco Catalyst in their system with products like the SOtM sNH-10G or switches from AQVox, Paul Pang or TLS?  

Most comparisons of audiophile switches I have found seem to be with low cost consumer grade switches, see for instance https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/05/sotm-snh-10g-audiophile-ethernet-switch-review/3/ and https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-90-mergingplayer-pl8-page-2

@McNulty @plissken

notice the part in the AudioBacon assessment where the reviewer literally pulls the plug and listens....

For those interested: in his latest video, Hans Beekhuyzen states in his opinion both the AQVox and the SOtM are improvements over the Cisco. 

On 4/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, McNulty said:

I will for sure compare it to the etherregen when available. The improvements I got with the Cisco were great not just with audio but also with image. For around 60 $ (second hand, new were almost 700$) it was one of best audio investment I ever made. If I may suggest try also a good LPS with your router and you will see a difference, again on sound and image.

cheers,

Jorge

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

On 4/7/2019 at 3:45 AM, McNulty said:

I have a Cisco catalyst 3750 and HP 2626.  These are better than a consumer Netgear switch.  But i also have an Aqvox Switch 8 that sounds better than the Cisco and HP. but an sNH-10G ultra sounds best.

For those of use with network shares or multiple systems a switch is a necessity.  At gig speed I'm guessing the switch behaves like an antennae and picks up RFI.  But I don't have any instrumentation to test this.

57 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

Remember that the 3750 is a layer 3 switch that needs to be properly configured to operate optimally

my friend did this for me through his laptop.  i assumed he did this properly.  he is an HP network architect.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:51 PM, TubeMan said:

I assumes that people is so smart
that they read the compatibility list before they buy the SPF

Hi,i just  ordered the cisco catalyst ws-c2960-8tc-s, and the optimodule from sonore ,sfp and optical cable from sonore as well.

i just realised this switch is not the gygabit version? Is it ok? Did i did wrong choice?

will it work?

i wanted go fiber from the cisco to optimodule then ethernet to streamer?

thks

optical is the way to go - you might search up the threads started by @jabbr

who has been very generous with his very expensive time

12 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Hi,i just  ordered the cisco catalyst ws-c2960-8tc-s, and the optimodule from sonore ,sfp and optical cable from sonore as well.

i just realised this switch is not the gygabit version? Is it ok? Did i did wrong choice?

will it work?

i wanted go fiber from the cisco to optimodule then ethernet to streamer?

thks

Most of the ports on that switch are not gigabit, EXCEPT the RJ-45 and SFP cage off to the side, they both work at gigabit. So if you connect the opticalModule to one of those it should work.

John S.

Yes you can !!
That switch is one of the best Audio Switch to get,
without the Audiophile hype !!
Has been used for many years on Naim systems/users

and by myself as "Audio Switch"

use a good powercord  and that will be a nice upgrade

Thk you very much !

i will!one isotek pc is waiting!

i experienced with few options one of them is the sotm switch.

i will report here my findings!

i

How is the Apple Time Capsule rated here? I use it wifi to stream music files before and after HQP processing on main machine and then the data is switched to a NAA via UDP (no metal at connection) ethernet cable

Hi, i received the Cisco Catalyst switch and the optimodule combo.

i used the last 2 input for sfp and ethernet.

i have trouble connecting to the internet,so need help here pls.

on the mac book, under settings it shows status: connected but ethernet is yellow and state: self assigned ip.

i tried manually typing the ip adress of the router supplying the cisco with no success.

i tried connecting a tv box to the other output of the switch, same, ethernet is in, but no internet.

thks

3 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Hi, i received the Cisco Catalyst switch and the optimodule combo.

i used the last 2 input for sfp and ethernet.

i have trouble connecting to the internet,so need help here pls.

on the mac book, under settings it shows status: connected but ethernet is yellow and state: self assigned ip.

i tried manually typing the ip adress of the router supplying the cisco with no success.

i tried connecting a tv box to the other output of the switch, same, ethernet is in, but no internet.

thks

Not sure which model, but you can usually only have one uplink at a time - sfp or ethernet. Try connecting the ethernet in into one of the regular ports. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs.