IGNORED

Silclear Contact Enhancer: A Cautionary Tale

mourip

A good cautionary tale ... from experience, hold the perspective that these silver based solutions are like one time use, greasy solder - solder because it stabilises the electrical connection, protects the contacts; greasy because once you start playing with grease it will get everywhere, unless one is extremely precise in applying it, and how you touch and manoeuvre things; and one time effective - as soon as you break or significantly move the metal contacts assume the connection is compromised - clean everything, thoroughly, and reapply.

Tweet also has downsides. Mainly from either slopping too much, or repeated application. Do not know the ph of the Tweek residue but is not neutral. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

8 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

Tweet also has downsides. Mainly from either slopping too much, or repeated application. Do not know the ph of the Tweek residue but is not neutral. 

My experience with this type of contact enhancer ... found that it still allowed the contacts to deteriorate over some period of time, with audible consequences - confirmed by thorough cleaning off of the liquid residue, and trying the fresh, raw metal surfaces alone.

Possibly the exact 'right' compound for the particular metals can be found, to do the job - but I haven't. My solution is either soldering, or silver particle preparations, applied in a very precise way.

Talking to one of the principals of a major vacuum tube electronics manufacturer, he mentioned that far and away the biggest cause of faulty amps was the use of contact enhancers. Several manufacturers actively discourage their use.  I always found that contact cleaners made from analytical grade alcohol worked best, evaporating entirely and leaving no residue. 

The point of all these treatments is merely to ensure integrity of the connection - if you have two lengths of copper wire, and you wish to join them to make them equivalent to a single, double length piece of wire - that's all that any of these procedures can do. It can't 'improve' your sound to some magical place, which is beyond what the components are capable of - it just gives the rig a better chance of maintaining overall consistency of quality; that's all one should expect of doing this type of thing.

20 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Talking to one of the principals of a major vacuum tube electronics manufacturer, he mentioned that far and away the biggest cause of faulty amps was the use of contact enhancers. Several manufacturers actively discourage their use.  I always found that contact cleaners made from analytical grade alcohol worked best, evaporating entirely and leaving no residue. 

Yeah, I don’tt Think contact cleaners on tube pins is a very good Idea.

George

For me, the most effective and reasonable contact cleaner has always been periodic separation, inspection, cleaning, and reassembly of tubes in sockets, cable connectors, and everything else that conducts signal and separates.  I discovered in my teens that the RCA connectors for the reverb tanks in my guitar amplifiers started looking grungy after only a few months (I grew up in the damp, salt air of the Jersey shore). So I unplugged them every few months, blew them off/out (my father had an air compressor), cleaned them with alcohol on a swab, and plugged them back in. I extended this practice to my audio equipment, with a twist - literally.  I separated and cleaned all the RCAs in my signal chain every 4 to 6 months, but I also reached back there every few weeks to simply twist the plugs back and forth a few degrees. I believed (and still do ) that this would break up any incipient oxide forming at the interfaces around the pins and inside the ground "shield". 

I started doing it with every removable tube and connector I had - binding posts, bananas, spade lugs, line plugs, etc. And every once in a while, it made a difference and/or I found early wear, looseness, or breakage that would have become a failure. So every year or so, I do tube, cable and connector maintenance on all my systems (audio, live sound reinforcement, guitar and keyboard amps, etc).  Modern connectors are made of materials far more resistant to corrosion than those old RCA plugs and jacks were, so it's probably unnecessary.  But it makes me feel good, and it costs nothing. Thankfully (for my equipment and cars, although I'd love to live on the ocean again for almost every other reason), I moved away from the shore 55 years ago, so humidity is no longer the scourge of my hobbies.

It's also worth noting that resistance is not the only factor in pin and connector hygiene.  Once a layer of less-than-completely-conductive material (e.g. oxidation) builds up between two conductive surfaces, you have a capacitor. I have no idea how much of a capacitor is created by a few years of oxidation between connecting surfaces, but I do know that I and others can clearly hear the effect of cable capacitance on the sound of our electric guitars (in-line capacitors are high pass filters). I doubt that it matters on tube pins, but it could on audio connectors.

FWIW, there are many tube socket brushes, audio connector cleaning tools etc out there. I've never used any, but they do have some appeal.

I can say that when I first tried Tweek and Deoxit it was very easy to observe reduced  background noise  by treating contacts on one side and turning amplification up to where you could first hear faint  pops and ticks.. the untreated side was always  worse than the treated side. But I haven't observed any other benefits. Since vacuum tube pins do oxidize I don't use tubes without treating them. As to Silclear, tried it once, but did not continue as it  looked like an accident waiting to happen... never had any migration/contamination issues with Tweek or Deoxit

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I've found separating the contacts and thoroughly cleaning always works - as a very short term measure. Simply twisting in place is an extremely short term solution; the contact goes bad again very, very quickly - makes sense why, all one is doing is "stirring up the sludge" that's accumulated; and it oozes back in place, as soon as it can.

Audible effects of the contact cleaners, IME, is that after a period in place the sound goes relatively dead, much of the sparkle is lost - it's boring to listen to. If the contact is going bad otherwise then any material with strong treble content develops an edginess, an "I can't keep listening to this track!" quality. Pristine connections provides maximum life and sparkle, with never hints of "being too much" - IOW, conveys the energy while still remaining 'smooth', just like live music does.

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

I can say that when I first tried Tweek and Deoxit it was very easy to observe reduced  background noise  by treating contacts on one side and turning amplification up to where you could first hear faint  pops and ticks.. the untreated side was always  worse than the treated side. But I haven't observed any other benefits. Since vacuum tube pins do oxidize I don't use tubes without treating them. As to Silclear, tried it once, but did not continue as it  looked like an accident waiting to happen... never had any migration/contamination issues with Tweek or Deoxit

Because tubes get hot, I wouldn’t treat the pins with any liquid or anything like Stabilant 22A which is actually a paste that is thinned with isopropyl alcohol.

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Because tubes get hot, I wouldn’t treat the pins with any liquid or anything like Stabilant 22A which is actually a paste that is thinned with isopropyl alcohol.

Tweek and Deoxit are close to a thin oil in nature, easy to apply and clean off any excess with a Qtip.  Silclear was  paste like, very messy and got runnier as it got warmer.

Hated working with it as it would generate cotton candy like threads when you pulled back an applicator.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 years later...
On 2/16/2019 at 9:31 PM, gmgraves said:

There is only one "contact enhancer" that has any real legitimacy. And that is Stabilant 22A. This used to be marketed by Dayton-Wright and Sumiko as "Tweek". But they no longer sell it. You can order it directly  from the manufacturer, D.W. Electrochemical Company in Ontario, Canada (they have a website), or from Amazon, or you can pick up a 15ml bottle from many auto supply houses. Warning this stuff ain't cheap but that's because it's the real thing! It has a NATO stock number, a US Mil-Spec #, as well as a NASA Specification.

I am buying some from Amazon.  Thanks for the point out!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂