IGNORED

From 0 to Xeon/AL/Roon Server in 2 days

bobfa

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bobh3501 said:

Hi @bobfa,

I am experimenting with audiolinux on my Roon server based on some of the posts in this section.  It's fun to get back into Linux - I worked with BSD Unix in the 80's which I barely remember now.  I have audiolinux running on an optane stick in my server and it works great - except for one issue - the Roonserver audio service does not autostart on reboot.  I have to manually start it with the menu or systemctl commands each time.  This happens whether I am in RAMroot mode or not.  Other changes I make from the menu - such as changing boot mode or realtime priority persist across boots (as long as I "save changes" if in ramroot).  Any ideas?  Thanks.

That's an easy one! Just run "systemctl enable roonserver" once (as root), make sure to "ramsave" and Roon Server should autostart on subsequent reboots.

1 minute ago, bobh3501 said:

thanks for the reply @austinpop  but I have tried that several times!!  Now the "show running audio services" is blank!!!  It is obviously running (after manually starting, again) since I can connect.  I broke it...

Time to reconnect with you BSD Unix skills then! OK, if you have successfully enabled Roon, then you should see it listed in the list of enabled services when you run:

• systemctl list-unit-files | grep enabled

Sometimes you do have to wait a while for Roon server to start up after you boot. If you look at the details of the start script at /usr/lib/systemd/system/roonserver.service you'll see these lines in the file:

After=network-online.target sound.target
    Wants=network-online.target

These are conditions that have to be true before Roon will start. So if you are not seeing Roon start, perhaps your network takes a while to connect? 

Anyway, you can use these to do some troubleshooting. I think we may already be OT, so you may want to continue this with Piero over on the AL troubleshooting thread.

2 minutes ago, bobfa said:

NOTE I have just updated the intro post to this thread with a hardware change.  I have removed the DC-ATX converter in the case and setup the server with the HDPLEX400 Supply.

No listening report yet.  Family watching TV.... sad face.....

Sending sleep inducing thoughts here, so they go to bed and you can get back to the serious work of comparing the HDPlex 400 with the 200+DC-ATX converter!

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, luisma said:

Hi Bob, did you had a chance to compare the DCATX adapter plus 200W LPS and the 400W directly connected LPS?

Have anyone tried the HDPLEX chassis + DCATX + JS2 or PH SR7 LPS? and compare this with the proprietary HDPLEX solution?

Roy is currently powering his 8700K server with 2 SR7 rails: a 19V rail powering an HDPlex DC-ATX converter, and a separate 12V rail powering the CPU (EPS).

On 5/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, romaz said:

Even with the 8700K server powered by an HDPlex 400W ATX LPSU and with no special clocking outside of my tX-USBultra, I prefer the big server to the i7 NUC but as I have figured out a way to independently power both the 8700K CPU and ATX motherboard (using a DC-ATX converter) with SR7 rails, the i7 NUC has now been officially retired.

He finds this combo far exceeds the HDPlex 400W ATX LPS, even though this has separate rails for the ATX (3.3, 5, and 12V) and EPS (12V).