IGNORED

Step-by-step guide for REW + HQ Player room correction

semente

Hi,

I wonder if someone could provide a step-by-step guide to achieving room correction using REW and HQ Player.

I tried to find a tutorial but the information is scarce and spread all over the web...

It's been years since I last used REW to measure the frequency response at the listening spot.

I have a mic, REW and I'm ready to go.

Thanks,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 hours ago, alec_eiffel said:

The caveat: it's in French

Thanks Alec, I had almost given up. And fortunately I speak french!

I've generated a 20-200Hz EQ filter and am now ready to export to HQ Player.

Can someone tell me which sample rate I should use to export the impulse response WAV file?

Do I really need one for every kind as per the Roon guide?

Should I choose 32-bit?

59 minutes ago, semente said:

I've generated a 20-200Hz EQ filter and am now ready to export to HQ Player.

Can someone tell me which sample rate I should use to export the impulse response WAV file?

Do I really need one for every kind as per the Roon guide?

Should I choose 32-bit?

Select the highest sample rate you'll need, 32 bits. Roon will downsample automatically the filter if required.

27 minutes ago, alec_eiffel said:

Select the highest sample rate you'll need, 32 bits. Roon will downsample automatically the filter if required.

Thanks.

I'm using HQ Player but will try the highest sample rate and bit depth.

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to setup room correction on HQ Player using this tutorial as kindly suggested by @alec_eiffel

I am currently clipping-off two peaks below 200Hz and the bass has gotten a lot clearer and snappy. There's another peak at around 250Hz that I may deal with in the future.

• 8 months later...

Interesting info re HQP’s Miska & his approach to convolution -

20 hours ago,  scintilla said: 

Understood.  I may try that just to see.

I already use acourate-built 131k tap RC filters in HQPlayer's convolution engine and it works wonderfully.  As I understood Mitch's review, this plugin works in real-time to further reduce room mode decay times based on the time-varying signal, which isn't something a static filter convolved with the signal can correct. Right?  I am limited in what I can do for room treatments because I live in a brick loft and I can't attach anything to the bricks or mortar. I could add some bass traps but the good ones (SpringTraps) are cost-prohibitive for my room volume (~6000 ft^3). So I thought this might be worth at least a trial. Thanks again, Jussi.

To me it looks like room eq applied only to low frequencies. Which is what I'm also doing in my listening room. It is least intrusive when you stick to <500 Hz. When you attenuate the modes, they are also reduced in time. In my listening room the solution for best sound is to use stand mount speakers plus subwoofer. Cross-over between speakers and sub is acoustic, speaker ports are plugged, which makes their low frequency response roll off suitably, and then sub's low-pass frequency is tuned to match the main speaker roll-off. Then room eq is primarily applied only to the sub (I can switch between different corrections though, and now it's even easier with the matrix profiles in HQPlayer). In this scenario, I can also do the correction "in hardware" when needed using DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033S-II (another nice Finnish product) without touching the main speaker signal. I can still do final touch-up in software when I want to, I have also different profiles for case with Anti-Mode in place.

In my livingroom the approach is different, since there I have just Dynaudio floorstanders, so there the correction is always running purely in software. (possibility would be to use AntiMode X4 but it always runs in PCM domain to max 96k or 192k).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.