The Computer Audiophile

Article: McIntosh RS200 Wireless Speaker System

Rate this topic

The 'room filling sound' sounds like a Bose advertisement.

Innuos Zenith SE --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 --> iFi iDSD Micro --> Focal CMS50's 

Did I understand correctly - this thing has 8 speakers?

Okay, so it probably sounds pretty good. But $3K sounds like a lot for something like that - you could probably get something similar for  a lot less, and be happy with the sound quality for the kind of thing such a device is supposed to deliver - casual listening.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also 2 SBT and an SB Boom. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Did I understand correctly - this thing has 8 speakers?

Okay, so it probably sounds pretty good. But $3K sounds like a lot for something like that - you could probably get something similar for  a lot less, and be happy with the sound quality for the kind of thing such a device is supposed to deliver - casual listening.

Like almost everything in life, you can always get something less expensive and probably be OK with it. For example, Monoprice has some really cheap DACs. You can probably go to Alibaba and get one cheaper and be OK. 

I like this all-in-one from McIntosh. I don't think the price is unreasonable either. 

Does it sound better than other $3k 'systems'??  It does look nice...

A truly wireless speaker setup has a lot of advantages, but there really aren't any HiFi ones.  You have to plug them into an AC outlet...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Not one photo shows the rear connections.

image.png.ae7d420a546e6e6375c5483b62893f2d.png

image.png.c8a85c44a063dfb892533ab4e0322c85.png

It certainly looks quite a large device, pity it couldn't use height more instead of width, horizontal placement and table space is premium these days. For the amount of gear inside, the term compact is open to discussion.

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In what way?

I have borrowed a MB50 streamer that uses PlayFi and it is my understanding from the research I have done that PlayFi products do not work with Roon.  I haven't found a way to make it work.  There is also no PlayFi desktop version for Mac and that is another issue with the PlayFi system to me.  

So you're looking for it to be a ROON endpoint.  I see. In that case, I have no answer for you.

I have McIntosh and ROON working together, but I am plugged into my Mc via USB and that works fine. Rather than using a streamer, have you thought about getting something that acts as a ROON endpoint and can plug into the McIntosh?

“Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be One.” – Marcus Aurelius

play-fi is okay but I think Roon is better and it works will all my other stuff, including a squeezebox touch.  if I operate play-fi from my phone and it rings it shuts off the stereo.  I think a big company like Mcintosh would want to be as flexible as possible.  I like the look and quality of sound out of the MB50 streamer but find play-fi annoying.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:23 AM, AudioDoctor said:

This is so cool looking I think I need to buy one despite the fact that I am selling my main system off.

The baby is gonna need one.  Just sayin'

On 2/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, rancew said:

Why are there 5 stars on the heading when it hasn't even been reviewed here yet?

It is the reader rating for the article, not Chris's rating for the device.  (Someone has decimated it to 4 stars now.)