IGNORED

Article: McIntosh RS200 Wireless Speaker System

Did I understand correctly - this thing has 8 speakers?

Okay, so it probably sounds pretty good. But $3K sounds like a lot for something like that - you could probably get something similar for  a lot less, and be happy with the sound quality for the kind of thing such a device is supposed to deliver - casual listening.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Did I understand correctly - this thing has 8 speakers?

Okay, so it probably sounds pretty good. But $3K sounds like a lot for something like that - you could probably get something similar for  a lot less, and be happy with the sound quality for the kind of thing such a device is supposed to deliver - casual listening.

Like almost everything in life, you can always get something less expensive and probably be OK with it. For example, Monoprice has some really cheap DACs. You can probably go to Alibaba and get one cheaper and be OK. 

I like this all-in-one from McIntosh. I don't think the price is unreasonable either. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In what way?

I have borrowed a MB50 streamer that uses PlayFi and it is my understanding from the research I have done that PlayFi products do not work with Roon.  I haven't found a way to make it work.  There is also no PlayFi desktop version for Mac and that is another issue with the PlayFi system to me.  

So you're looking for it to be a ROON endpoint.  I see. In that case, I have no answer for you.

I have McIntosh and ROON working together, but I am plugged into my Mc via USB and that works fine. Rather than using a streamer, have you thought about getting something that acts as a ROON endpoint and can plug into the McIntosh?

No electron left behind.

play-fi is okay but I think Roon is better and it works will all my other stuff, including a squeezebox touch.  if I operate play-fi from my phone and it rings it shuts off the stereo.  I think a big company like Mcintosh would want to be as flexible as possible.  I like the look and quality of sound out of the MB50 streamer but find play-fi annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 8:23 AM, AudioDoctor said:

This is so cool looking I think I need to buy one despite the fact that I am selling my main system off.

The baby is gonna need one.  Just sayin'

On 2/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, rancew said:

Why are there 5 stars on the heading when it hasn't even been reviewed here yet?

It is the reader rating for the article, not Chris's rating for the device.  (Someone has decimated it to 4 stars now.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

May I suggest a comparison between the McIntosh and the Devialet Phantom series of bluetooth speakers when you receive it? I figure they are both in the same price range and could compete for title of "best".

Thanks!

HP Pavillion> J River Media 15> Arcam RDAC > NAD C162> NAD 2400 > Totem Sttafs