IGNORED

Archimago and the TLS DS-1

Posted this over at Music Servers, not sure if was the wrong place - no replies, so trying here...

So,  Archimago has a interesting post

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/musings-computer-audio-mythos-comment.html

I have always wondered on the advantages of a high end streamer - something like the Sony HAP-Z1ES - I mean there is no denying that they are beautiful machines - but cannot help but wonder how they are better than a well configured computer based system - I doubt the internal software would do more than what  JRiver does cheaper - or even Roon, expensive as it is...  But these streamers/servers like that  are dedicated, beautifully designed machines. To me, the TLS DS-1,  is too much like a regular NUC - fancy clock notwithstanding <--- and this is Archimago's point - that probably doesn't matter.  

Been thinking of moving away from the laptop I use as a player to a NUC, but as a JRiver user, need to research how to configure headless - but maybe Audiolinux is worth a try... Wonder if the DS-1 is worth the extra dough, maybe even not for the fancy clock, but just get a fully configured box that just works...

v

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

I read Archimago’s critique and was reminded of something Danial Boorstin wrote; “ the greatest enemy of progress is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge” 

People cease to look for further information if they are arrogant enough to believe that they have all they need. 

Its very clear from his own writing that Archimago doesn’t know what he doesn’t know...the so-called state of ‘unconscious ignorance’. During my career in high tech, critics like Archimago were ten-a-penny.....very vocal but virtually zero actual contribution. Its the experimenters, innovators and inventors that are the rarity and that drive progress, despite the critic’s best efforts to negate their work. 

Don't worry.  Archimago did not prove anything but showed a list and claimed that the list won't work.  It's of at most the same level of credential of Rajiv's claim.  Not better than what Rajiv's clsaim,.  To me, what A said is of no substance and just claiming lots of terms like the NS theorem.  It's typical parrots' talk and I won't waste  my time on it.

To make my point clearer rather than imitating what A is doing, I will point out one thing.  Romaz did claim he can tell the NUC when blind.  For a person with very simple logic may try to verify this.  But I see no such intention but just insisting one's original opinion.  It's not discussion.

5 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

I read Archimago’s critique and was reminded of something Danial Boorstin wrote; “ the greatest enemy of progress is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge” 

People cease to look for further information if they are arrogant enough to believe that they have all they need. 

Its very clear from his own writing that Archimago doesn’t know what he doesn’t know...the so-called state of ‘unconscious ignorance’. During my career in high tech, critics like Archimago were ten-a-penny.....very vocal but virtually zero actual contribution. Its the experimenters, innovators and inventors that are the rarity and that drive progress, despite the critic’s best efforts to negate their work. 

My first thought after reading the above was he probably feels the exact same about your work as a critic. x-D

End of the day, nobody gives anything of value away for free. Put a little more thought into this whole scenario.

I have had two high end streamers in my system for a test. I won’t mention names though to protect the innocent. My Macbook with usb out sounded better imho. I used the usb out on each one. Took one to a friend who has the Senore. The Senore killed it. His Senore sounds wonderful. So, I have heard these fancy streamers sound better and worse than my laptop using A+. It would be nice to be able to try before you can buy.

19 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Agreed.  He's published literally hundreds of tests on his blog site - real, repeatable, tests - and clearly documents his results and interpretation.

Sure but the topic is specifically about the article regarding the TLS - DS1which he and all of those in agreement with his comments have not heard. Two reliable sources who have the unit, confirm it offers an improvement over the basic machine. There is as always a diminishing return in audio a $1500 unit will rarely sound 3 times better than a $500 one.

19 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I have had two high end streamers in my system for a test. I won’t mention names though to protect the innocent. My Macbook with usb out sounded better imho.

It really depends on the input to those streamers as to wether any improvement will be heard.

I'd like to see Archimago review the 20K euros SGM Extreme.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I totally understand that this vernacular is sacrosanct to some.  I personally think it's good for audiophilia to look at it with a critical eye.

Personally, I have an open mind and readily listen to opinions of those that have heard a piece of equipment. I readily mute anyone who has not heard a piece of equipment and offers opinions on it.

I have done a lot of A:B testing in my own system because what I hear is all that matters in the end. BTW, my ears tell me that the TLS DS-1 is a top performer. If you truly care about getting the most out of audio streaming, you should give it a listen.   

Just now, spotforscott said:

Personally, I have an open mind and readily listen to opinions of those that have heard a piece of equipment. I readily mute anyone who has not heard a piece of equipment and offers opinions on it.

I have done a lot of A:B testing in my own system because what I hear is all that matters in the end. BTW, my ears tell me that the TLS DS-1 is a top performer. If you truly care about getting the most out of audio streaming, you should give it a listen.   

I applaud your attempts at (hopefully blind) testing.  Can you share your testing methods?