IGNORED

Article: Aurender Content Server ACS10 Full Review

12 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Re: "completely computer-less operation from start to finish" 

Isn't the Aurender acs-10 itself... a dedicated, customized computer that's operating on proprietary software in an 'audiophile box'?

Regarding the Aurender's $6k-7k price...

I own an essentially brand new Asus VC66 MiniPC (i7, 500SSD - $850.00) and I'm getting ready to download Euphony's Music Server software @ $289.00 onto a USB stick. Then installed on my MiniPC, it will wipe clean the Windows 10 OS, turning the MiniPC into a dedicated Music Server. BTW, I'm going to buy the Samsung QVO M.2 SSD you profiled, turns out my Asus has an unused M.2 slot, thanks a lot for that.

The Euphony OS is fully Roon Ready and reportedly comes very close to matching the fidelity of the Aurender. It can be controlled by either an iPad/iPhone or an Android tablet/phone. No monitor, PC needed. Several professional reviewers hold it in high regard.

I'd love to see a comparative review between the $6-7k Aurender and someting like my $1139.00 Euphony setup. It would be interesting to see if you concluded that the Aurender offers 5-6 times more than does the Euphony... 

I understand that getting that last 10% increase in fidelity, requires a logarithmic increase in cost. I also see a trend among audio reviewers toward reviewing ever more astronomically priced gear. Just my opinion, but that seems like an excellent way to gradually decrease ones' audience.

Please consider the above constructive criticism. I'm a longtime fan of this blog/mag but one who is feeling increasingly shunted aside by most reviewers in the gear they chose to review. I suspect I'm by no means alone in that perception.

I get what you’re talking about and I’ve also been on the Euphony train for about a year, but if you really read this article you’ll see that there’s not much of an avenue for a comparison between what you outlined and what this product brings to the table. That is, unless you only focus on small portions of what the ACS-10 can do and ignore the purpose(s) of the product. 

If you only want a sound quality comparison, and again ignore what the ACS-10 is going to be bought for, it’s already mentioned that the ACS-10 pushes out music to a USB DAC roughly on the level of the Aurender N10. 

As as for the article, I thought it was a great overview and I love seeing more good products come to market. I will keep expanding my Roon anchored home system that uses multiple devices to achieve what this article describes about an Aurender anchored system.