IGNORED

T+A new flagship streaming dsd1024 dac

18 hours ago, OE333 said:

As ethernet is using asynchronuos transfer mode and thus uses one of the 3 USB inputs - the other two are available as external inputs.

Thanks so much for the info and the photo.

So the answer is yes, that the ethernet input still goes through a USB connection? So things like 8kHz USB packet noise still applies? Even if they are very very low levels, they still apply in the technical sense?

If I am wrong, please correct me. But if I'm correct, what is the reason/s USB must still be in the chain/process?

5 minutes ago, OE333 said:

Yes, you are right, the signal path is Ethernet -> USB -> DSD.

We use USB at this stage because it is asynchronous. Keeping the signal path asynchronous as long as possible means that the synchronous D/A clocking comes into play only at the very last stage of the signal chain. If we would use I2S or DSD with synchronous clocking at an early stage to transfer the signals to the DSP this would lengthen the synchronous part of the path introduce more jitter. 

8kHz packet noise is not a problem with this converter because we have a complete galvanic isolation between digital and analog sections. So any kind of digital noise does not influence the converter and the analog output sections.

Here photo of a prototype D/A converter board. Maybe you can see the white line which shows the boundary between digital and the isolated converter/analog circuit parts...

Greatly appreciate the detailed response. And the DAC p0rn 😁 (photo of inside).

Fantastic engineering (again).

On 4/8/2019 at 8:37 PM, OE333 said:

... even though a bit off topic in this thread:

There is no "old" or "new" Amanero board - in fact there is only one Amanero USB receiver design. Most other companies just use the Amanero standard module. T+A decided to place the whole Amanero hardware directly on the DAC  PCB to get shorter signal paths - otherwise everything is 100% compatible to the Amanero original design.

Please believe me, we try what we can to push Amanero and we give all support that we can (like paying license fees, testing, testing testing, helping Amanero with hardware etc.) but we can not help with the development of the receivcer firmware itsself because it is closed source....

For the new SD/SDV3100HV devices with their DSD1024 capability (which is out of reach for the Amanero design) we decided to design our own UAC3 compliant proprietary USB receiver solution. This solution supports native DSD1024 for both Windows and LInux. The necessary Linux patches were made available by us and we hope that they will be included in mainline kernel soon. For the time beeing anybody interested in the patches please send me a PM.

When I was researching about the issue beforehand and later when I was discussing it with Domenico from Amanero, that was what I understood. I guess I was incorrect and I appreciate the courteous way that you have corrected me about it. 

If there is a time that I can afford the new SDV3100HV, I will enjoy giving it a shot. I am still happy with the DAC8DSD's sound quality, but it's lack of modern Linux compatibility is not a pleasant thing to deal with in my system. I think the approach that you've taken with the SDV3100HV's USB and ethernet implementations will serve you very well into the future. I'm very happy to see your company taking a different approach this time around and I hope the SDV3100HV meets a warm welcome in the market. Hopefully I can join those new buyers sometime later.

Dear Ben,

there are ways to use native DSD256 with DAC8DSD and Linux. I know that some members of this forum do this with very good success.

I would like to propose to continue the DAC8DSD related questions in the DAC8DSD thread.

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

... the R series already has all elements of this technology i.e. T+A True-1-Bit DAC, extremely precice re-clocking, digital/analog isolation, discrete analog electronics without OP-Amps etc.

The difference is that the R-series supports a maximum DSD rate of 48k*512. True-1-Bit processing @ DSD1024 is really extremely complicated and costly and will remain an exclusive feature of the SDV3100HV / SD3100HV models.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

Hi OE333,

As a T + A fan, I've missed a high-quality streaming DAC in the HV segment for some time now. Nice that there is one now.

Currently I enjoy listening to the Holo Audio Spring DAC contrary to the usual opinion in oversampling (OS) DSD mode: Either PCM or DSD input over all sampled DSD approach to digital to analog converter.

That sounds very good to my ears. Some manufacturers also go this way and convert every signal (including PCM) into DSD. For example EMM Labs DAC V2 or PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Optionally also in Lumin DACs.

Is this option also possible in the SDV3100HV / SD3100HV?

@OE333, thank you for posting the details of T+As very impressive new DAC here, your contribution to the forums is appreciated!  As you appear to be a direct representative of T+A, please add something to your signature indicating your relationship to the company.  Again, I am very happy to be able to have you post here, and share details of the product!

I suspect that this DAC will offer extremely high sound quality, and am impressed at the details of the engineering.  Many here on theses forums have longed for a DAC which could support high DSD rates over a direct Ethernet input, and it appears that T+A has done a very good job of isolating the Ethernet processing section from the D/A section and analog output circuitry.  As the rest of the engineering of this product appears to be very well implemented, can you also confirm a completely separate power supply for the Ethernet input section (with it's own transformer secondary?)

Again, I am very impressed with the details if this new DAC and suspect that those who can afford it will be very, very happy! 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I heard the new streaming DAC at King Music in Berlin. If interested, my report (in German).

Report on T+A SDV 3000 HV

On 4/11/2019 at 12:54 AM, Sunya said:

Since the SD/SDV3100 now support PCM up to 768kHz it means you switched to AKM from BB; is it the AK4497 or the very new AK4499?

Also since you don't use the chip built in digital filters, do you upsample the signal in the DSP to 705.6/768kHz?

I respect AKM as a very capable manufacturer of very good sounding DACs.

In the SDV3100HV  TI (formerly BurrBrown) PCM1795 are used. These chips can be used at higher rates than 384 if the internal upsampling filters are bypassed. Bypassing the internal filters makes sense in our case because we use our own proprietary T+A upsampling algorithms. All upsampling is done is done in the DSP.

• 3 weeks later...

@OE33,

the ingeneering looks really impressive, as looking at a Ferrary, and also the features. But, if one closes the eyes, do you have any proof ( some style of double blind test) that an average listenner is able to discern  the $26k T+A  from a good $1k o $500 DAC?.

@Cortes

I want to perform this unequal test, but not double blind test.😎

My DAC story is a bit unusual. When comparing a Linn Klimax DSM and the T+A MP 3000 HV, I came to the decision to sell the Linn. Not because the device was bad, but because it did not sound better in my ears than the MP 3000.

Because I once wanted to have a R2R DAC I bought the Armature Asterion Holo Spring DACWith this device I discovered my new preference for DSD, which the MP 3000 can not convert. The Spring DAC from France costs 1.6 k € and has replaced my MP 3000.

My setup currently looks like this:

35566350ck.png 

With the HQPlayer I convert everything in DSD 256. Theoretically synonymous DSD 512, but I suspect a bottleneck in the USB interface (XMOS U208) from Spring DAC. I am very curious, what I can push over the SD 3100 and how it sounds. I'll get the SD 3100 HV in a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

My DAC story is a bit unusual. When comparing a Linn Klimax DSM and the T+A MP 3000 HV, I came to the decision to sell the Linn. Not because the device was bad, but because it did not sound better in my ears than the MP 3000.

May I ask which Klimax DSM, the latest with Katalyst architecture?

These Klimax Katalyst accept DSD up to DSD128.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Yes, it was the Linn Klimax Katalyst. I had an upgrade done then. By the way a service, which T+A would be good to face. 😉

I did not hear any DSD at the time.

@StreamFidelity an upgrade for the MP3000HV is currently under development....

7 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

@OE333

That would be great! Is there information about the specifications? 

... not yet - but official information will be available soon.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, guiltyboxswapper said:

When you mean upgrade, do you mean a new product replacing the MP3000HV?  Is it likely to have the same ethernet input as the 3100?

No, with upgrade I mean an upgrade of existing MP3000HV to bring most of the features of the successor model MP3100HV to the older models. This upgrade will mean a complete exchange of the digital processing board and the streaming module.

Details about the MP3000HV upgrade program will be announced in the near future by T+A.