IGNORED

Audirvana +3: Library - Files merging

Audiolibre

I've recently installed the trial version of Audirvana on my MacBook Pro but I'm having issues with the library. I've been growing my music library for over 10 years and started w/iTunes, then moved onto FLAC files and finally HD including a few DSD so far. Here's my dilemma: I sometime have the same copy of a given album but under m4a and flac and sometime I have two flac files of a given album but of different resolution, e.g. 44.1/16 & 96/24. When I search in the library under a given artist, Audirvana seems to merge together all of the version I have of the same album? I've used Decibel for over 10 years and although the interface is basic, the good old folder format works great.

Thoughts/suggestions that wouldn't require rebuilding the whole file structure on my computer?

I have the same issue. I have a bunch of albums in different resolutions, formats, etc. A+ merges them. And when I look at the album, since the track numbers are properly set in the metadata, I get something like:

<track 1>  <16/44>

<track 1>  <DSD>

<track 2>  <16/44>

<track 2>  <DSD>

... which is really terrible.

One way I have coped with this is renaming the albums with like [DSD] or similar, but this is a really sucky solution. 

I would like A+ to have an option to split albums by format, or something similar. I am open to suggestions obviously.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

1 hour ago, Audiolibre said:

I've recently installed the trial version of Audirvana on my MacBook Pro but I'm having issues with the library. I've been growing my music library for over 10 years and started w/iTunes, then moved onto FLAC files and finally HD including a few DSD so far. Here's my dilemma: I sometime have the same copy of a given album but under m4a and flac and sometime I have two flac files of a given album but of different resolution, e.g. 44.1/16 & 96/24. When I search in the library under a given artist, Audirvana seems to merge together all of the version I have of the same album? I've used Decibel for over 10 years and although the interface is basic, the good old folder format works great.

Thoughts/suggestions that wouldn't require rebuilding the whole file structure on my computer?

What I do is use the track view and have sample rate after artist and album in my list of indexing criteria.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Title each version with the resolution, that's what I do.

I would like to be able to tell A+ to separate the albums...

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

49 minutes ago, Jud said:

What I do is use the track view and have sample rate after artist and album in my list of indexing criteria.

Ok, that's not terrible... :)

system pics

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

I would like to be able to tell A+ to separate the albums...

It will if you literally title the album "Cosmic Thing 24/192" or whatever, you can have another one titled "Cosmic Thing DSD" and they will separate if you have the correct songs in the right folder.

If you title different albums identically, you are going to get multiple copies of things jumbled into one album, that's how tags work. Change something on one of them, something that can be identified easily by you and the software. All you have to do is add the resolution to the title and it will do it.

Below is an example of the appropriate folder structure, and the tags would need to match.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.23.18 PM.png

No electron left behind.

Hi  AudioDoctor,

I've tried your suggestion. In order to do so I've created a small test folder w/renamed album as explained above. Pretty straightforward, done so using Finder.

Then, just to make sure, I've deleted my whole library on A+ and recreated one just with the test folder I've created.

However, files are still coming under the original name they were created in on laptop in A+! What am I doing wrong here? Is there a different apps than Finder I supposed to use to rename files?201664535_Sanstitre.thumb.png.e72054b225603fda1c530a697521c574.png943453176_Sanstitre-2.png.0f6b76acdfa7fd6d3fb6f77face7f85b.png

It is now to change the album name of those files in A+ edit panel... album title: scratch my back (16-44)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2 minutes ago, Audiolibre said:

Incapable to modify the file names in A+ w/edit panel. I’m a rather tenacious person but I’m now fighting the tool instead of listening to music...

cmd i: now you see edit panel

click one time on So album cover.

Now you have all the songs in the albums under...

click with 'cmd' to select the ones you want for the 16-44 album

then go to tittle in edit panel and change it to So (16-44) or whatever, then save.

redo with 'cmd' click the other that they are in same folder that you want for S0 (24-96) then go to title in edit panel and rename those So (24-96). Now they are split.

like my library, you can see the bit depth, the sample rate, the file type and even the location to get it easier to see witch ones you need to select.

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 14.13.01.png

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

The tagging is not important in the Finder (but easier to find, yes)... it as to be done in A+...

you can put all your discography in Peter Gabriel So folder if you want...

if you tag them well in A+, they all be split to genesis, pink floyd, whatever even if they reside in So Folder :)

Another trick for me is to create a smart playlist on the left called 'Ajout Récents' for me or 'Just Added'

and give the settings of that playlist: All - Date Added - is in the last - month (for me) could be two weeks or whatever.

As you could see in first pict, i added a Japan 1987 edition of Pink Floyd First... it is called the same name as the other one i already have in my library in there, but different name in my hard disc folders one 1987 japan and one 2017 japan reissue, but in the playlist is it just the one in this month that appear...

1403401179_ScreenShot2019-02-13.thumb.png.79a19cf7ec68731b1e881bb9e94a29de.png751496274_ScreenShot2019-02-13at14_43_57.thumb.png.f90692644c552e4fe019379f354f4040.pngbut if i go to my library as in second pict, you can see that the 2 albums are mixed up there because they have the same album name... for me i keep just one album in :)

On 2/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, AudioDoctor said:

It will if you literally title the album "Cosmic Thing 24/192" or whatever, you can have another one titled "Cosmic Thing DSD" and they will separate if you have the correct songs in the right folder.

My directory structure starts with the source of the file - CD, HDTracks, SACD, etc - so I generally don't have a physical location overlap.

What I do is actually tag the album's metadata with a variant like "Cosmic Thing [24/192]", "Cosmic Thing [DSD64]", etc. I do this because I use the same library for Audirvana (where I need this tagging) and Roon (where I don't). 

Roon recognizes the stuff in [] as an album variant and shows them accordingly. However, I will point out that Roon does not need this variant - it will recognize the same album in a different resolution is another version of the album, and will group then together. It will choose the highest resolution album as the primary, but you can change which one is the primary if you wish.

I much rather have an option in Audirvana to separate tracks of different format as different albums.

system pics

17 minutes ago, Audiolibre said:

Does the average ‘Jim Bob’ knows that you need to do cmd i to get to the edit panel?

Check to View menu in A+ bar the first three menu there are useful... you have the shortcut on the right  :)

The File menu also... Library... 2 useful menus there too for the library

The 'cmd j'  offers options in the Album view mode and also in Tracks view mode. Have fun :)

10 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

It is now to change the album name of those files in A+ edit panel... album title: scratch my back (16-44)

9 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

The tagging is not important in the Finder (but easier to find, yes)... it as to be done in A+...

you can put all your discography in Peter Gabriel So folder if you want...

if you tag them well in A+, they all be split to genesis, pink floyd, whatever even if they reside in So Folder :)

yes I should have made it more clear that the tag editing was the most important part, no matter where you put the files in the finder.

I wanted to show that I was using the same files but that A+ thought they were something else, through the use of tags.

Any tag editing software will work. I use Meta:  https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/

No electron left behind.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, AudioDoctor said:

Title each version with the resolution, that's what I do.

I do the same thing. Have a spreadsheet-like metadata editor, copy the album title column, paste in excel and append a "- CD" (or whatever) in a new column and paste back into the editor. I have ripped cd's in one folder, albums purchased from had tracks in another, and so on. Works fine.

15 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Any tag editing software will work. I use Meta:  https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/

Anyone used both this and Yate and have impressions to share?

https://2manyrobots.com/yate/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.