numlog

PCIe to I2S?

Rate this topic

Is PCIe to I2S really not possible yet? is there a reason other than cable length why USB and USB-to-I2S interfaces are used when DAC chips have I2S inputs?

There is the Pink Faun I2S interface and this apparently is a PCIe to USB to IS2 converter, which you could kind of suspect since there are no PCIe to I2S chips in existence.

that would be the CM8888? it looks like the Pink Faun is using that chip too.

Is that converting to USB internally is the question.

the block diagram for it shows PCIe > MCU > I2S, MCU could mean anything, maybe there is some more clues in datasheet as to whats happening but its too complicated for me

28 minutes ago, numlog said:

that would be the CM8888? it looks like the Pink Faun is using that chip too.

Is that converting to USB internally is the question. 

the block diagram for it shows PCIe > MCU > I2S, MCU could mean anything, maybe there is some more clues in datasheet as to whats happening but its too complicated for me

The chip is Intel HDA compatible. If there is a USB link somewhere inside the chip, that would be a most unusual design, and it would have to be invisible from the outside. The MCU block is a microcontroller that handles the high-level host interface and allows firmware customisation.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

The chip is Intel HDA compatible. If there is a USB link somewhere inside the chip, that would be a most unusual design, and it would have to be invisible from the outside. The MCU block is a microcontroller that handles the high-level host interface and allows firmware customisation.

ok, thanks for the help. 

Based on a few forum posts It might be possible cheaply utilize this chip by finding a soundcard that uses it and fitting my DAC inside the PC to connect the I2S lines over a very short distance, maybe upgrade clock, use a better power supply.

I can see how for a lot people the Pink Fauns LVDS solution is very useful  as bringing your DAC that close to the PC is not going to be possible in most cases, like speaker systems, plus with the power supply option and use of high quality components its not a bad deal