IGNORED

Chromecast for Rendu series

6 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Chromecast is very very good when friends and family come over.

And for us most importantly! 😁

I know it's blasphemy to say, but I'm much preferring the offical Tidal app and official Spotify app, over Roon recently...

Of course Roon is great for my hard drive collection and I'll always use that, but for streaming services (>90% of my collection) the official streaming apps work so much better with playlists and recommendations and radio mode etc etc.

ALL of the streaming service official apps support Chromecast (except Apple Music at the moment)

Likewise with Google play. It has a vastly superior library to Tidal. Google play account also removes ads from YouTube which is what's stopping me from having Spotify 

Naim are looking by far the best for having quality sound and the best connectivity

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

7 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Likewise with Google play. It has a vastly superior library to Tidal. Google play account also removes ads from YouTube which is what's stopping me from having Spotify 

Nice I haven't tried Google Music in years. Will need to try for month to see how much has improved. They've all improved so much and continue to improve.

The 3rd party integration options will fall behind more and more, as more features get added to the official apps. 

More incentive for Chromecast and official Airplay 2 support for streamers, to literally cover ALL the streaming services.

49 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Chromecast is very very good when friends and family come over. So much easier for them to use their own device and services. 

Would be a massive bonus to have 

If you use Roon, they can still access your Roon and a dedicated user profile. 

42 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

And for us most importantly! 😁

I know it's blasphemy to say, but I'm much preferring the offical Tidal app and official Spotify app, over Roon recently...

Of course Roon is great for my hard drive collection and I'll always use that, but for streaming services (>90% of my collection) the official streaming apps work so much better with playlists and recommendations and radio mode etc etc.

ALL of the streaming service official apps support Chromecast (except Apple Music at the moment)

So you don’t notice any SQ different between using Roon vs Tidal ?

And how do you manage stream Tidal in same system as Roon ?

On 2/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, Superdad said:

Maybe Sean wants to be able to shout “Hey opticalRendu, play some King Crimson.” :P

No need for the opticalRendu to have Chromecast built-in for this - it should already be possible in Squeezelite output & DLNA output (requires UPnP/DLNA bridge LMS plugin) modes via the Logitech Media Server:

Announce: LMS Controls - Google Home / Google Assistant Voice Control of LMS Players

Even Alexa voice control shouldn't be too far off:

ANNOUNCE: Alexa voice control (development thread)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Just now, R1200CL said:

So you don’t notice any SQ different between using Roon vs Tidal ?

Not when playback is bitperfect.

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

And how do you manage stream Tidal in same system as Roon ?

At the moment, laptop to USB DAC. Tidal desktop application playing in Exclusive Mode. Would much prefer Rendu though 😖 . Hence this thread - Chromecast solves this for all streaming services official apps

4 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

No need for the opticalRendu to have Chromecast built-in for this - it should already be possible in Squeezelite output & DLNA output (requires UPnP/DLNA bridge LMS plugin) modes via the Logitech Media Server:

Announce: LMS Controls - Google Home / Google Assistant Voice Control of LMS Players

I don't see any mention of Chromecast here. 

I'm not particularly interested in Google voice commands. Chromecast (this thread) is something different , for streaming audio.

I'm not aware of any Linux hack for Chromeacast. As Andrew Gillis has said (after talking to Google Engineers) there is hardware encryption required.

If there was a Linux hack, @agillis would have already implemented it.

31 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If you use Roon, they can still access your Roon and a dedicated user profile. 

Yeah I have Roon.

The issue is Roon doesn't have their streaming services. If Spotify and Google Play etc were supported this would be OK. 

So much easier just to have Chromecast and they can use the apps they already have and their own playlists. 

Very few people I know have Tidal accounts that aren't into having Hi-Fi. Everyone has Spotify etc. The rendu products great as they are switching to Airplay etc via the webpage isn't ideal. 

Naim do it so much better

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Do you mean ads with the free version of Spotify?

I don't have any ads with Spotify Premium. Trying it out for a month.

Nah just a bonus of having Google Play is the account removes ads from YouTube. 

Over on the Bluesound Forum:

"GC4A is a software only (depending on processor) solution that essentially is a headless browser that carries a link to content to be played. 

There are a number of reasons why CAST has not yet been implemented, and none that I'm going to go into, but it remains on the roadmap, and eventually if the stars align we would integrate it."