IGNORED

Chromecast for Rendu series

On 2/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, vortecjr said:

Production update

The production boards arrived yesterday and a few are shipping out to our team members today for internal testing. As best as I can tell the enclosures which should arrive first of March. 

As a reminder, if you are interested in this product please send an email to [email protected] with subject "opticalRendu".  

Hi JR

With the new hardware for opticalRendu, any chance it will support "Chromecast Built-in"?

48 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Damn. That would be cool. I'm sure you've seen:

http://www.streamunlimited.com/products/streaming-audio/streamvienna/stream1832---audio-streamin.html

Hoping for Chromecast Built-in for a future product perhaps.

I think that is because Google owns them.

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Damn. That would be cool. I'm sure you've seen:

http://www.streamunlimited.com/products/streaming-audio/streamvienna/stream1832---audio-streamin.html

Hoping for Chromecast Built-in for a future product perhaps.

Curious as to what features of this hardware you would want?  It looks like this is a 3rd party hardware module which has many features which would degrade sound quality, like WiFi and Bluetooth.

Sonore Rendu products are built without these features in order to have the lowest noise footprint possible and deliver the best possible sound quality-is there some additional feature you are looking for specifically?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

11 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

When Roon or JRiver add this feature maybe you will be able to... 

Through the tablet interface (Siri, etc), makes sense.  Considering how well (not) spell correct works I expect more problems than success in actual use of voice command track/album selection, hahaha...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

As far as supporting Tidal/Qobuz on their apps that is a question for Jesus.  I do not know the licensing strategies of these companies and whether there are additional fees, etc...

But using hardware from Google is going to be a non-starter for Sonore, especially hardware limited to such low sample rates.  We need to support DSD 512 and PCM 768, (perhaps higher...) and we do!  We also have to do so with the highest possible sound quality, so we design out products to achieve those goals.

SONORE computer audio

@vortecjr  (Jesus) is the President of Sonore and would be the one to determine whether it would be likely to add support for the Tidal and Qobuz apps directly to the SO operating system used in the Rendu Renderers. 

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

@vortecjr  (Jesus) is the President of Sonore and would be the one to determine whether it would be likely to add support for the Tidal and Qobuz apps directly to the SO operating system used in the Rendu Renderers. 

Hehe I know who JR is. He was the person I asked the question to initially... I wasn't ask you or the general public (respectfully).

Looking at Tidal as an example, I don't believe what you are hinting at is possible... I'm not aware of any product on the planet that allows you to cast from the official Tidal app (iOS or Android) direct to the streamer, unless it's via Chromecast or Apple Airplay...  it's different story with 3rd part integration but I'm talking about the official apps here.

Same with Qobuz, Deezer etc.

As mentioned a couple times, you would need to use these official apps to experience the advantages over 3rd party integration options (including Roon, which I'm already a lifetime member).

11 hours ago, Em2016 said:

One cool thing of Chromecast is it supports the native/OEM apps of all the streaming services (except Apple Music for now). So you can use the official apps of Tidal/Qobuz/Deezer/Spotify etc, without having to go through 3rd party apps.

I'm with you. It would be great to be able to use Qobuz/Tidal Android app and stream directly to the ultraRendu. 

11 hours ago, barrows said:

As far as supporting Tidal/Qobuz on their apps that is a question for Jesus.  I do not know the licensing strategies of these companies and whether there are additional fees, etc...

But using hardware from Google is going to be a non-starter for Sonore, especially hardware limited to such low sample rates.  We need to support DSD 512 and PCM 768, (perhaps higher...) and we do!  We also have to do so with the highest possible sound quality, so we design out products to achieve those goals.

I think @Em2016 suggestion is worth looking into. 

I also dont want degrading sound quality. 

Maybe its possible to add a switch that  totallt remove this circuit, if it turn out to be noisy, then at least people  could have a choice. 

Who knows, maybe @JohnSwenson is able to make a hi res super duper version of this circuit 😀

Still, I guess there is license fee to be paid. 

And upgrade for UltraRendu, not the opticalRendu maybe.

Or maybe I totally  new box put I front of any Rendu ?

(people use same PS, with a Y-split)

32 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

The Chromecast Built-in feature request itself is more important to me than any particular board I may be able to find.

But doesn’t such feature need WiFi or Bluetooth, meaning possible noise added to the Rendu ?

(unless you can totally turn it off)

12 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

But doesn’t such feature need WiFi or Bluetooth, meaning possible noise added to the Rendu ?

(unless you can totally turn it off)

No Chromecast doesn't need WiFi to work. Just like UPnP, Roon, Airplay don't need WiFi to work.

It would just be another input option on the Rendu, like UPnP, Roon, Airplay etc (future Rendu maybe one day).

47 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Well, let’s hope this can be a possible future upgrade then. 

New future product likely. As mentioned above, Chromecast appears to require some encrypted chip but Andrew knows more, having discussed with Google before.

47 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

May I then add AirPlay2 as well the the list. 

Definitely. I'm still waiting for a streamer that supports the 'big 4' properly/officially - Chromecast, Airplay 2 (proper latest, supporting multiroom, not Linux hack), Spotify Connect (proper, not Linux hack). And Roon which we already have.

I'd happily pay extra...

10 hours ago, agillis said:

You need a license to be a Chromecast playback device. There are a bunch of boards out there like the StreamUnlimited that can do it. BUT even if you use a third party board in your product you still need a license direct from Chromecast. A Chromecast license is very complex and expensive to get. That's why only a few big companies have them.

Thanks for the clarification Andrew.