Hi folks,
I was just listening to a song that reminded me forcefully to one particular version of St. James Infirmary,  just the artist I sadly can't remember.
The song: "March for Mingus", Melody Gardot, Live in Europe, connection particularly: the brass section.
Searching the library,  I found several releases of that song, but not the one I had in mind.
You may help me find the one I love ... but anyway,  it might be interesting to find out about other (yours) favourite versions of that blues classic!!!
I have three, which I like for different reasons, none of them is a Satchmo version ...
Dee Dee Bridgewater is quite close to the one i am after, as it was a woman, that sang that version and  that one has a vivid brass attack.
Thanks in advance  for joining in, 
Tom

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

The Dirge...

One of my all time personal faves - from the “Sachmo Plays King Oliver” LP,,, very early 1958 or so Stereo.  Still manages to send a chill up my spine every time I listen to it - a splendid recording. Makes me wonder how much we’ve forgotten since then. Found it at a garage sale in Old Metry right next to the cemeteries sometime in the early ‘90s. Truth  😎

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...