IGNORED

Computer to ultrarendu via crossover cable

I know there are threads that touch on this, but can I ask how many people have bypassed a switch, gone with 2 NICs bridged and connected their Mac / PC directly to their micro / ultra rendu via a crossover cable?

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

Thanks but your link to another thread doesn't answer my question, only that it's not a supported Sonore config .

I am running direct from PC to ultrarendu via a crossover cable and found a sonic benefit when bypassing a Netgear switch. I would think others would do so and am wonfeding who is and if not, why so? is it possible that using an "Audiophile quality" ethernet switch and connecting conventionally and as supported by Sonore yields better sonics than direct connect from PC to ultrarendu?

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

5 minutes ago, sb6 said:

I am running direct from PC to ultrarendu via a crossover cable and found a sonic benefit when bypassing a Netgear switch. I would think others would do so and am wonfeding who is and if not, why so?

Wow, you kind of missed a 500+ page thread here.  Read the original post by romaz, then look at the index created by austinpop re using a network bridge.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

22 hours ago, sb6 said:

I know there are threads that touch on this, but can I ask how many people have bypassed a switch, gone with 2 NICs bridged and connected their Mac / PC directly to their micro / ultra rendu via a crossover cable?

You shouldn't actually need a crossover cable. Almost all modern equipment uses auto-MDIX which figures the pairs out automatically. The ultraRendu Definitely has auto-MDIX, so if your PC does then you don't need a crossover. Essentially anything that supports gigabit will support auto-MDIX. So you only have to worry about this if you have a very old computer that doesn't have gigbit.

John S.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Wow, you kind of missed a 500+ page thread here.  Read the original post by romaz, then look at the index created by austinpop re using a network bridge.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/

I did read most of that gigantic thread quite a while back which is where I leveraged the idea to skip the switch and run ethernet direct. Again, " I know there are threads that touch on this, but can I ask how many people have bypassed a switch, gone with 2 NICs bridged and connected their Mac / PC directly to their micro / ultra rendu via a crossover cable?"

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

You shouldn't actually need a crossover cable. Almost all modern equipment uses auto-MDIX which figures the pairs out automatically. The ultraRendu Definitely has auto-MDIX, so if your PC does then you don't need a crossover. Essentially anything that supports gigabit will support auto-MDIX. So you only have to worry about this if you have a very old computer that doesn't have gigbit.

John S.

Yep I understand and tried it and it didn't work - in the past. I just tried it again and it does work, thanks for reiterating auto-MDX eliminates the need for a xover cable. Not sure what changed, or whether but seems to be working fine now.

Understood, but I would think connecting to a PC and ultra rendu to a switch with a wall wart which has additional ethernet cables connected is a vehicle for noise. Plus the cheap oscillator in the switch and overall cheap components would be detrimental. I do however get the goodness from xformers at ethernet jacks providing some isolation.

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The ultraRendu Definitely has auto-MDIX, so if your PC does then you don't need a crossover.

Only one side needs Auto MDI-X for you to not need a crossover cable. Since the ultraRendu is Auto MDI-X, it doesn't matter if the PC has Auto MDI-X or not.....

Thanks, queued 20 songs and it seems to be working flawlessly.

I would still love to know how many folks run direct to DAC and if they run a reclocker in between and what were the results.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, vortecjr said:

This was never meant to be a primary connection scheme. I proposed it because in some cases it’s useful. My opinion is that this is generally a bad idea because you are connecting a noisy computer directly to a Rendu.

Please help me understand something - The Sonore rendus accept ethernet in and USB out, D to D converters. If you are using, say HQplayer or Roon, what's the benefit of the rendu if it requires a cleaned up signal (e.g.: not from a stock computer with a noisy switching PSU, D to D MB converters, etc)? If I spend the time and $ to clean up the signal at the source (the computer) then why do I need a rendu versus connecting an optimised PC direct to the DAC? Isn't that one of the main reasons for the rendus coupled with a LPSU and internal femto reclocking? I'm not trying to dismiss the qualities and benefits of the rendus, but want to ensure I understand the rendu's purpose for my configuration.