IGNORED

DigiOne Signature / DietPi Setup

New install.  Roon does not find the DigiOne Signature.  Also, need to know how to switch from ethernet to WiFi.  The Allo web interface only allows choosing packages, but not functionality controls for DietPi.

EDIT:  Continued reboots and it found the Digi.  Not sure it mattered, but I also turned off the other services I was not using and gave it a static IP sddress.  Would still like to know how to enable WiFi.

EDIT EDIT:  Never mind.  Clearly one is on their own figuring this stuff out.  If you paid extra for plug-n-play thinking it was plug-n-play, save your money.  More like Plug-n-Pray.  Just buy the parts and dig in.  You are going to be elbow deep in the OS whether you want to be or not.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:32 PM, beemerphile said:

New install.  Roon does not find the DigiOne Signature.  Also, need to know how to switch from ethernet to WiFi.  The Allo web interface only allows choosing packages, but not functionality controls for DietPi.

EDIT:  Continued reboots and it found the Digi.  Not sure it mattered, but I also turned off the other services I was not using and gave it a static IP sddress.  Would still like to know how to enable WiFi.

EDIT EDIT:  Never mind.  Clearly one is on their own figuring this stuff out.  If you paid extra for plug-n-play thinking it was plug-n-play, save your money.  More like Plug-n-Pray.  Just buy the parts and dig in.  You are going to be elbow deep in the OS whether you want to be or not.

Dietpi OS WiFI enable possible only through ssh terminal.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/Dietpi_wifi.pdf

Allo.com Tech. Support

Just early frustration on my part.  I usually roll my own, but I spent the extra this time because I know zero of SBC's and didn't have time for the learning curve at the moment.  So, I spent the time anyway.  There are unanswered tech questions on this site that are months old.  Allo points to this site as their portal for technical assistance.  If so, it is beyond weak.  Some little bitty things, like oh, how to log into the web interface, it seems would be in the box. 

Perhaps I expect too much.  Now having it running, I do like the audio performance.  Now I have to figure out how to clone the OS card so that I can SSH into DietPi and turn on WiFi.  That way if I brick it, I have a Plan B.  I also don't know whether it is safe or recommended to upgrade to the latest DietPi version.  It seems the supplied "update" button on the Allo GUI is NOT the way to do it.  Do the same dangers lurk if upgrading from the OS?  What is the latest stable recommended version level?  Always the latest, or wait until Allo embraces it?  How will I know?   These are some of the things I didn't know I was getting into with this "Plug-n-Play" solution.

Peace, out.

Lee

On a related note, what the heck with the eMMC card? I have been using Raspberry Pis for years and have only encountered this now. I guess it's less prone to corruption (that's a great thing), but why not include a reader/writer or at least include one as an accessory or give an approved model to find on the usual sources? Is anyone using a Microsd card for updated software? 

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP)