IGNORED

Any users of the RME ADI-2 DAC?

hi

there is a new firmware (V35) for the RME ADI DAC 2 from 26.03.2021

Biggest change i found, is a improved SteadyClock, filter and phase control. SteadyClock’s jitter filter now operates down to 1 Hz instead of about 200 Hz, thus reduces even very low frequency input jitter efficiently.

the update App is here, took a minute over USB for me without a problem. (from V34 to V35)

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html 7

from release note

03/26/2021 ADI-2 DAC DSP 35, ADI-2 Pro FPGA 250 DSP 102. All Pro: improved performance of SRC, headroom reduced to +3 dB. New option ‘SRC Gain dig’ to preserve digital headroom during USB recording and digital loop-through. Pro and DAC with MRC: Over display in level meters now takes actual headroom into account (+2.5 dB Line/IEM, +1 dB Phones). All DAC: When loading a setup, the current sample rate is not changed.

03/17/2021 Digiface USB: v17 supports new PCBs. Devices with V14 do not need to be updated. ADI-2 DAC FGA 35, ADI-2 Pro FPGA 249: Improved SteadyClock, filter and phase control. SteadyClock’s jitter filter now operates down to 1 Hz instead of about 200 Hz, thus reduces even very low frequency input jitter efficiently.

regards

tom

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Subscribed... I have the RME for about two months. F.ware V35.

What output setting do you use?

I tend (after RME suggestions) to use it with Auto Ref. Level ON and Volume control with passive attenuators to my pre amp (volume 100%) or directly to pwr amp with attenuators too.

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

11 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

Subscribed... I have the RME for about two months. F.ware V35.

What output setting do you use?

I tend (after RME suggestions) to use it with Auto Ref. Level ON and Volume control with passive attenuators to my pre amp (volume 100%) or directly to pwr amp with attenuators too.

Auto Ref is a mix of multiple gain stages and a little digital attenuation, so that SNR is kept always high. I don't think you need extra analog attenuators between the RME and the power amp imo.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Definitely do not insert analog attenuators between the RME DAC and a power amp.  The hardware auto reference level will automatically insert the optimum analog attenuation to maximize the digital bit depth, i.e., minimize the amount of digital attenuation.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

9 hours ago, Matias said:

Auto Ref is a mix of multiple gain stages and a little digital attenuation, so that SNR is kept always high. I don't think you need extra analog attenuators between the RME and the power amp imo.

6 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Definitely do not insert analog attenuators between the RME DAC and a power amp.  The hardware auto reference level will automatically insert the optimum analog attenuation to maximize the digital bit depth, i.e., minimize the amount of digital attenuation.

Thanks to both for replying!!

Yes that is what I was doing for the most of my listening ADI-attenuators-power amp.

I know that this that I try now is not considered the technically correct setup.

But I wanted to try once more with the pre amp and I had the feeling, with the pre in 100% volume (acting like a buffer, if this makes any sense), that the sound was somehow fuller and with more depth without loosing so much detail or clarity... I will go back and forth again for sure. 

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

In my opinion, the audiophile "truism" that inserting a preamp between a source and a power amp adds some benefit is a myth intended to sell more equipment.  If the output stage of the DAC were somehow inferior to the preamp, it would be no less inferior with the preamp inserted.  At the other logical extreme, how about cascading several preamps to get even more of the alleged benefit?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

21 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

In my opinion, the audiophile "truism" that inserting a preamp between a source and a power amp adds some benefit is a myth intended to sell more equipment.  If the output stage of the DAC were somehow inferior to the preamp, it would be no less inferior with the preamp inserted.  At the other logical extreme, how about cascading several preamps to get even more of the alleged benefit?

Yes I get your point and you are most probably right ... I’m just trying things with my existing equipment and reporting my subjective opinions.. I wrote “feel”. I’m not sure either. Most probably I will take the pre amp out. 

Now about the pres-stack, all things in life are a compromise I suppose, one tries to find the “best recipe” to his taste, so adding to much “preamp” in it sounds like not good final “taste”. 🙂

Another somehow controversial point regarding the ADI is the power supply!

In RME forums they are strongly against any other PS than the one they provide. In terms of sound quality improvement.

Any comments?

it is easy to take out the preamp out of the chain for a test if the RME is good enough as a preamp direct to the Amps.

For me that works fine and i use the RME directly with the Amps in my active speakers.

I would use a preamp only if i need analog inputs

power supply is original, but with a Furman AC-210 Power Conditioner in front (but i hear no big difference here for beeing honest, at the DAC before, there was more difference with the filter)

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

19 minutes ago, eintom said:

it is easy to take out the preamp out of the chain for a test if the RME is good enough as a preamp direct to the Amps.

For me that works fine and i use the RME directly with the Amps in my active speakers.

I would use a preamp only if i need analog inputs

power supply is original, but with a Furman AC-210 Power Conditioner in front (but i hear no big difference here for beeing honest, at the DAC before, there was more difference with the filter)

Yes it is very easy and I’m just trying things.

My next upgrade will be most probably a pair of actives. 

What do you use? Balanced I suppose.. Do you use any attenuation for the signal?

You mean the digital filter or the power line filter?

I have been using ATC actives as my speakers since 1998.

My reference has always been going DAC direct to my actives. Less is more, cut out the middle man and all that. :)

There are plenty of great DACs at reasonably prices out there with built-in volume control and/or preamp.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

23 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

I have been using ATC actives as my speakers since 1998.

My reference has always been going DAC direct to my actives. Less is more, cut out the middle man and all that. :)

There are plenty of great DACs at reasonably prices out there with built-in volume control and/or preamp.

exactly what would be my first choice for speakers... the 40A (or if budget allowed the 50... end game setup for me this would be...)

enjoy

35 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

Thanks.
I am so lucky to have the special EL 150As.
If you can stretch your budget a little more then please go for the 50As, the higher spec drivers do make a difference.
Good luck.

yes I have auditioned the 50A and they are a unique speaker!

great

27 minutes ago, eintom said:

a friend had the 40a and i could listen to them a few times.

I think, for the money, they are great speakers. SCM50 cost nearly double (and ATC has new prices with 8% more since April)

i took the scm45, cause they have the better tweeter like SCM50 upwards, and two basses instead of one suits my room and taste better. Think the bass volume so is comparatible with scm100. Bass is tigh and dry too.

So if you can live with the black studio design (i love it) the scm45a is a good alternative to the scm40a if your room can handle a bit more bass.

a good DAC with volume and you´re ready for the fun :)

two woofers are a bit too much for my room I think ... it seems like great speaker the 45 I like the looks too.. I was not familiar with it

anyway fro the money I could live with the 40A for sure... I must wait though!

Anyway lets not spoil the RME thread any longer.. that's up to me! Sorry people!!

9 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

In RME forums they are strongly against any other PS than the one they provide. In terms of sound quality improvement.

Any comments?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-ipower-x-the-official-thread.926656/post-16236813

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 4:17 AM, DomieMic65 said:

Any comments?

I used to have the RME.  The ifi DC iPurifier2 made the stock SMPS sound a little better and was bettered by a 12v Meanwell SMPS + DC iPurifier2 but not by much.  I didn't try the ground shunt mod.  Then I tried a 15V Sbooster and was blown away by the SQ increase.  I A/B'ed the RME + Sbooster and the Qutest + Battery and kept the RME.  

A few other people have mentioned 15v sounded better to them as well, but then the RME engineers / ASR devotees are all over the posts saying that nothing can be gained over the stock 12v SMPS even tho the unit accepts up to 15v.  Worth trying imho.  (There's also a positive review on the Amazon page for the new ifi elite 15v + the RME.)

• 2 weeks later...

if the developer says that another power supply does not have a positive effect, then i save the money for another power supply and buy a couple of albums for it. The RME ADI sounds damn good to me with the original power supply and I am satisfied.

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Grado GH-1 Headphone

On 4/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, funkur said:

I used to have the RME.  The ifi DC iPurifier2 made the stock SMPS sound a little better and was bettered by a 12v Meanwell SMPS + DC iPurifier2 but not by much.  I didn't try the ground shunt mod.  Then I tried a 15V Sbooster and was blown away by the SQ increase.  I A/B'ed the RME + Sbooster and the Qutest + Battery and kept the RME.  

A few other people have mentioned 15v sounded better to them as well, but then the RME engineers / ASR devotees are all over the posts saying that nothing can be gained over the stock 12v SMPS even tho the unit accepts up to 15v.  Worth trying imho.  (There's also a positive review on the Amazon page for the new ifi elite 15v + the RME.)

Hi there!

thanks for your input!

why did you go for 15V and not 12V sbooster?

It is not available in this voltage?

• 3 months later...