IGNORED

Article: SOtM sNH-10G Network Switch Review

52 minutes ago, Superdad said:

You’re calling @PeterSt ignorant?

What a sweet guy you are.  No wonder you are so well liked... 

¬¬

In what way is my challenging his POV about the operations that involve keeping a network connection up/up and the the 'noise' it generates

VS

all the other caching operations that go on even on a newly installed OS and optimized is incorrect.

Either it's ignorance or it's deception. Which is it?

Because it is certainly isn't correct. And it's already been proven.

Here you go and you are most welcome to debunk if you can...

cacheops.JPG

42 minutes ago, incus said:

But what experiments have you done to say you can't hear that noise? There is a growing body of listening impressions on that big topic listing that shows different sounds to different processors throttled in different ways, lower latency software, RAM booted software, etc. Isn't this presumably reducing the audible effects of those processes? There is ignorance from inexperience that is forgiven with enlightenment and then there is willful ignorance despite enlightenment which is unforgivable.

You let me know when you want to put on the blindfold.

If you can't trust your ears neither can anyone else.

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

In all ways. Just because you are so keen to leave out the proper context.

Maybe @Superdadcan't (you were asking him) but I can do that on behalf of him;

If you are so good with Process Monitor you might just as well look at a somewhat rougher level and count the task switches. For an optimized system (like with AO) this comes to 46 million switches per second during audio playback (over USB). Allow me to be 50% off for your system. Now ignorant me comes along; In that same system with 46M task switches as by miracle it becomes 680,000. *)

Now you are of course going to show me that figure because you can do that too. But that is only step one. Step two would be that you now in *that* context again present your whatever caching and again would say that "these few more" surely won't make any difference.

What I'm saying is you can't tell the difference and we can easily present different load for the OS to run.

Let me know when you are up for some blind testing. We can setup an Intel box with Prime 95. I can control it from remote, run it headless, and you tell me during playback when the system is under increased load.

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

*) IIRC this was for a W8 system and by now 6-7 years ago. Today's W10 will be very different, and varying per build. Also my own software regarding this evolved quite a bit (focusing W10).

If you are talking about my screenshot it was Win10Pro X64. I forget the build #.

51 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The pulling the plug thing is what actually got me looking into this.

A while back I had a prototype of one the streamers on the bench feeding a little inexpensive DAC ($110) feeding some inexpensive Senheiser headphones($69) when I accidentally unplugged the Ethernet cable and the increase in sound quality blew me away. There was about 1 minute of music stored in the streamer so I got 1 minute of REALLY good sounding music.

So yep, pulling the plug DID make a big difference, but it wasn't a "test", there was no expectation involved.

John S.

Sorry but your response needs picked apart. I want to point out this tidbit 'had a prototype of one the streamers'. I see a whole slew of issues in that statement WRT to all the possibilities, namely design errors, that could have defeated reasonable measures a DAC designer took to insulate their product from noise.

With so much of your efforts in highly buffered I/O systems and knowing how they work it never occurred to try it before?

My Emotiva DC-1 seems impervious to the systems I have had it connected to when it comes to testing the upstream noise possibility.

39 minutes ago, incus said:

So the noise of your Emotiva is greater than anything that's come before it? Interesting.

Or the flip side, which is most DACs, that in properly implemented, standards compliant systems, they filter out any up stream noise.

I've offered to setup an Intel based PC with Prime 95 and run it headless driving your DAC and see if you can tell when Prime 95 is presenting a load and when the system is otherwise nominal with something just Tidal being the main, interactive, application.

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yeah, well @plissken paid $300 for his marginally built DAC with $0.50 master clocks, and $2.00 opamp output stage, so its not much surprise that nothing upstream can be heard. :S

I've also access to the RME interfaces... but lets look at it this way:

Let me remind everyone you are the one that disappeared at What's Best Forum when you initially said you would blind A/B your own ISO Regen product in your own home when someone was going to purchase air fair.

What DAC do you use 😉

I don't know what's worse: My faith in my $300 (I purchased second hand but basically new in box) or your lack of faith in your DAC and your product, er I mean ears.

Just now, Superdad said:

Knock it off Pliss. First of all, what someone misconstrued as an invitation to my home never was.  I have blind A/B'd our products many times in my own home.

The thread is still public. Soon as Amir offered to fly out and ask the nearest city you up and like a fart in the wind disappeared.

I know you are used to spinning things....

6 hours ago, incus said:

I've tried to explain to you many times already that your "experiment" proves  nothing. The logic of it is entirely faulty. There is, in fact, no logic to it. But you don't seem willing to engage on the level of logic. You are dead wrong about what is being heard under the two conditions you are comparing. So do I want to indulge some glitch in your cognitive reasoning by attaching a device of your making to my private home network? Excuse me if I decline.

You are making absolutely no sense. I'm employing others logic that they can tell the difference in a computer running say 120 processes vs 100 or under some minimal vs heavier load. I find it best to beat the subjective audiophile with the generic zip cord of their own logic.

What it does prove is subjectivists are all talk.

It's not a device of my own making. It's an Intel NUC with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro X64. Hardly something conjured up with duct tape and bailing wire. But you make what ever mountain you want out of a mole hill so you can bravely run away.