IGNORED

Article: SOtM sNH-10G Network Switch Review

1 hour ago, Jud said:

But notice: The measurement hasn’t happened yet.  And even after that, we’re left to ponder the question of how significant/audible it might be.

@Jud

Been about 4 yrs now. 

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

36 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

So back to the drawing board.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.  I really hope the new board does the trick.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

51 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The pulling the plug thing is what actually got me looking into this.

A while back I had a prototype of one the streamers on the bench feeding a little inexpensive DAC ($110) feeding some inexpensive Senheiser headphones($69) when I accidentally unplugged the Ethernet cable and the increase in sound quality blew me away. There was about 1 minute of music stored in the streamer so I got 1 minute of REALLY good sounding music.

So yep, pulling the plug DID make a big difference, but it wasn't a "test", there was no expectation involved.

John S.

Sorry but your response needs picked apart. I want to point out this tidbit 'had a prototype of one the streamers'. I see a whole slew of issues in that statement WRT to all the possibilities, namely design errors, that could have defeated reasonable measures a DAC designer took to insulate their product from noise.

With so much of your efforts in highly buffered I/O systems and knowing how they work it never occurred to try it before?

My Emotiva DC-1 seems impervious to the systems I have had it connected to when it comes to testing the upstream noise possibility.

22 minutes ago, plissken said:

My Emotiva DC-1 seems impervious to the systems I have had it connected to when it comes to testing the upstream noise possibility.

I am sure this is true, but I was so sure it was coming that I had to smile, my friend. :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

17 hours ago, plissken said:

Sorry but your response needs picked apart. I want to point out this tidbit 'had a prototype of one the streamers'. I see a whole slew of issues in that statement WRT to all the possibilities, namely design errors, that could have defeated reasonable measures a DAC designer took to insulate their product from noise.

With so much of your efforts in highly buffered I/O systems and knowing how they work it never occurred to try it before?

So the noise of your Emotiva is greater than anything that's come before it? Interesting.

39 minutes ago, incus said:

So the noise of your Emotiva is greater than anything that's come before it? Interesting.

Or the flip side, which is most DACs, that in properly implemented, standards compliant systems, they filter out any up stream noise.

I've offered to setup an Intel based PC with Prime 95 and run it headless driving your DAC and see if you can tell when Prime 95 is presenting a load and when the system is otherwise nominal with something just Tidal being the main, interactive, application.

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yeah, well @plissken paid $300 for his marginally built DAC with $0.50 master clocks, and $2.00 opamp output stage, so its not much surprise that nothing upstream can be heard. :S

I've also access to the RME interfaces... but lets look at it this way:

Let me remind everyone you are the one that disappeared at What's Best Forum when you initially said you would blind A/B your own ISO Regen product in your own home when someone was going to purchase air fair.

What DAC do you use 😉

I don't know what's worse: My faith in my $300 (I purchased second hand but basically new in box) or your lack of faith in your DAC and your product, er I mean ears.

1 hour ago, plissken said:

Let me remind everyone you are the one that disappeared at What's Best Forum when you initially said you would blind A/B your own ISO Regen product in your own home when someone was going to purchase air fair.

Knock it off Pliss. First of all, what someone misconstrued as an invitation to my home never was.  I have blind A/B'd our products many times in my own home.  The ISO REGEN did not even exist when the aforementioned exchange occurred.  And my decision to stop participating in that forum had nothing to do my not inviting hostile parties to my house.  I simply had no further interest in arguing with close-minded people.

In case you have not noticed, there is a very wide market with plenty of competition and companies (including my own) offering 30-day, money-back guarantees on products that produce better signal integrity before the DAC input.  Don't you think if such products were useless and ineffective the market for them would have dried up long ago?  [That's a rhetorical question, I already know your answer and could care less what you think. x-D]

What DAC do you use 😉

Holo Spring Level 3.

I don't know what's worse: My faith in my $300 (I purchased second hand but basically new in box) or your lack of faith in your DAC and your product, er I mean ears.

Dream on buddy.

Just now, Superdad said:

Knock it off Pliss. First of all, what someone misconstrued as an invitation to my home never was.  I have blind A/B'd our products many times in my own home.

The thread is still public. Soon as Amir offered to fly out and ask the nearest city you up and like a fart in the wind disappeared.

I know you are used to spinning things....

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Some people just can't resist.

It takes one to know one. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

19 hours ago, plissken said:

Who here would like to perform a blind test were I ship them a PC with Tidal and Prime 95 on it. They can connect to their setup  and I can remote manage the PC and turn Prime 95 on and off and see if you can track.

Chris?

I've tried to explain to you many times already that your "experiment" proves  nothing. The logic of it is entirely faulty. There is, in fact, no logic to it. But you don't seem willing to engage on the level of logic. You are dead wrong about what is being heard under the two conditions you are comparing. So do I want to indulge some glitch in your cognitive reasoning by attaching a device of your making to my private home network? Excuse me if I decline.

6 hours ago, incus said:

I've tried to explain to you many times already that your "experiment" proves  nothing. The logic of it is entirely faulty. There is, in fact, no logic to it. But you don't seem willing to engage on the level of logic. You are dead wrong about what is being heard under the two conditions you are comparing. So do I want to indulge some glitch in your cognitive reasoning by attaching a device of your making to my private home network? Excuse me if I decline.

You are making absolutely no sense. I'm employing others logic that they can tell the difference in a computer running say 120 processes vs 100 or under some minimal vs heavier load. I find it best to beat the subjective audiophile with the generic zip cord of their own logic.

What it does prove is subjectivists are all talk.

It's not a device of my own making. It's an Intel NUC with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro X64. Hardly something conjured up with duct tape and bailing wire. But you make what ever mountain you want out of a mole hill so you can bravely run away.

re:   "120 processes vs 100 or under some minimal vs heavier load"

I am still waiting to just see the posts on Bill's mac thread about which processes should be turned off to increase the SQ.

on a not so related topic, "30-day, money-back guarantees on products"  makes it very easy to run your own blind test

On 2/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, plissken said:

The thread is still public. Soon as Amir offered to fly out and ask the nearest city you up and like a fart in the wind disappeared.

I know you are used to spinning things....

You forgot to mention that Amir was kicked off his own website for being an a**, luckily, for some, Chris is a bit more tolerant here. 

ChrisG

Bend, OR