IGNORED

Article: SOtM sNH-10G Network Switch Review

There is another factor to consider with switches in general and that is that most switches blast the signal out a power level needed for 100 meters of wire per the spec. Jussi of HQP advocates using switches with a power saver mode that adjust output for the actual wire length on a given port.

To test this for myself, I picked up a Netgear Nighthawk switch (which has a power saver mode) on a Black Friday special for $60. I tested it against my old $20 Netgear 1 gig switch. Both were powered by  the same linear power supply. When using the Nighthawk as a straight switch, I could not tell any repeatable difference. But, when I engaged the power saver mode, there was a noticeable improvement over the old Netgear switch.

I don't know why for sure but I suspect that some gear is susceptible to being overloaded at the input and/or that reducing the power output from the switch also reduces electrical noise on the line.

It is clear that electrical noise is always a detriment to audio and reducing it is the proper thing to do.

My point is that there are ways to do this that don't have to be overly expensive.