IGNORED

astron lpsu experience?

I owned 3 of these LPSs. 2 of the 3 has a humming noise that is audible in a quiet listening room. I used them to power a modem and a router and at one point used them to power LPS-1s to get rid of the SMPSs when I didn't have dedicated lines. As for their sonic performance, the SOTM sPS-500 is superior but it depends on what level of sonic performance you want and at what price. If you need an affordable high current LPS, then the Astron is great.

25 minutes ago, mozes said:

I owned 3 of these LPSs. 2 of the 3 has a humming noise that is audible in a quiet listening room. I used them to power a modem and a router and at one point used them to power LPS-1s to get rid of the SMPSs when I didn't have dedicated lines. As for their sonic performance, the SOTM sPS-500 is superior but it depends on what level of sonic performance you want and at what price. If you need an affordable high current LPS, then the Astron is great.

I would want them for: NAS, Router, 'ONT', FMC (i.e. network side only)...

...object: remove high impedance backwash noise caused by smps in order to keep whole network 'cleaner'. 

cheers!

45 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

high impedance backwash generated by several SMPS.

Sorry, that's not a thing. 9_9

SMPS units have broadband AC leakage on their DC output (both high and low source impedance forms).

SMPS units don't have stellar DC noise performance or PSRR.

SMPS units don't offer broadband low output impedance.

But modern SMPS units complying with current European regulations do not "backwash" into the AC mains very much in the way of switching noise harmonics.  The small amount they do is extremely wideband (hundreds of KHz up to MHz region) and extremely low in level.  I promise that the AC mains in your house already has far greater noise (and at much lower frequencies) running around (especially from lighting circuits but also from the utility itself) than what a typical wall wart or brick puts back into the mains.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, that's not a thing. 9_9

SMPS units have broadband AC leakage on their DC output (both high and low source impedance forms).

But modern SMPS units complying with current European regulations do not "backwash" into the AC mains very much in the way of switching noise harmonics.  The small amount they do is extremely wideband (hundreds of KHz up to MHz region) and extremely low in level.  I promise that the AC mains in your house already has far greater noise (and at much lower frequencies) running around (especially from lighting circuits but also from the utility itself) than what a typical wall wart or brick puts back into the mains.

what is the reason then that hundreds of posters on here use LPSU's?

Why do you make them and sell them?

Why don't people stick with their £5 wall warts instead of buying a PH SR7 dual rail for example?

many thanks! 🙄

3 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

what is the reason then that hundreds of posters on here use LPSU's?

Why do you make them and sell them?

Why don't people stick with their £5 wall warts instead of buying a PH SR7 dual rail for example?

many thanks! 🙄

@Superdad 

many thanks!

4 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Generalisation...

Power supplies can be quiet or noisy it does not matter whether they are LPS or SMPS. SMPS supplies are used everyday in very sensitive equipment with no problems so you can't just generalise.

How do you know you have a noise problem, have you measured it...

If not how do you know you have a problem.

As stated your mains will be full of crud anyway...

A humorous little interlude non the less and very amusing what you did. Pity you haven't answered my question.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:21 PM, marce said:

Generalisation...

Power supplies can be quiet or noisy it does not matter whether they are LPS or SMPS. SMPS supplies are used everyday in very sensitive equipment with no problems so you can't just generalise.

How do you know you have a noise problem, have you measured it...

If not how do you know you have a problem.

As stated your mains will be full of crud anyway...

A humorous little interlude non the less and very amusing what you did. Pity you haven't answered my question.

no I haven't measured it, but many many articles on the internet say that SMPS is not suitable for Hi-Fi and I am following their advice. Needless to say thay in my past experience somehow the linear always appears to make a vast improvement over SMPS regarless of the techincal ins and outs that I don't profess to fully understand, my ears tell the truth! Yes I know the mains has crud, heard that loads of times too! It's not about elimination of noise, it's about making it the best you possible can! i.e. reduce noise as it can never be totally eradicated. wish I had  £1 FOR every time I have repeated this to 'people'!

AND:

I would like to know what @Superdad thinks about you calling his comments mere generalisations please?

Do you exclusively use SMPS then? If not, why not?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, marce said:

Usual audiophile beliefs, not born out by facts these days...

Your ears my tell the truth, your perception distorts it...

try telling that to @Superdad who is busy attempting to flog his (LPSU 1.2) wares and all the other lpsu sellers.

Again. do you exclusively use SMPS? If not, why not?

your silence speaks volumes! If you are indeed using LPSU's, why are you discrediting them? (unless you are a nutcase of course?)

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Actually, no DC output noise, impedance, or AC leakage specifications have ever bee published for the Putzeys-desinged Hypex SMPS units for his Ncore amp modules. https://www.hypex.nl/power-supplies/

Maybe not, but then no manufacture's spec is all that important.

What is important is an unbiased independent test of a product and it's competition.

6 hours ago, marce said:

I can't be bothered to answer the same question again and again...

I haven't discredited any form of power supply, I have discussed power delivery systems on many occasions.

I have talked about power delivery systems numerous times, you don't bother to read it or dismiss it out of hand because I don't sing the audiophile tune.

As to your pathetic childish insults, go stuff them where the sun doesn't shine. Your red text is very immature and as I said rather pathetic, grow up.

Again. do you exclusively use SMPS? If not, why not? You say you have answered this question again and again? Where? Links?

3 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Again. do you exclusively use SMPS? If not, why not? You say you have answered this question again and again? Where? Links?

The only thing I can find in a search for "LPSU" by Marce was once where you said: "there are both good & bad SMPS/LPSU". That's a fairly 'safe' statement; I mean we all know there are good and bad products in all walks of life e.g. washers, fridges, cars, houses etc.

So, I accept that there are both good and bad PSU and my preference is for good LPSU (not SMPS).

I apologise and say sorry if I offended you, I was only trying to get to the truth.

I don't have what is called a 'dirty' side, I only have a 'clean' side as everything is powered by LPSU's + mains AC regenerators + mains isolation transformers + EMI/RFI devices + screened cables. This reduces the noise to a minimum but I accept there will always be some noise and that I have done virtually everything to minimise that noise.

Take Care.