franz159

AudioLinux on Raspberry Pi3

Rate this topic

Opening this thread to discuss usage of AudioLinux on Raspberry pi3.

I bought and installed it during the Christmas Holidays:

• Version 05 Headless

Release Notes are here:

http://www.audio-linux.com/html/rpi3.html

In my case it is currently running with a raspberry Pi3 with Allo Boss Dac, but also tested with IQaudIO PiDac+.

I use Squeezelite as a player, with a Logitech Media Server (LMS) installed on another raspberry in my LAN.

Streaming from QOBUZ using the LMS plugin.

My controller app is iPeng 9.6.1 on iPhone.

My understanding is that it achieves better performance in terms of jitter/noise by optimising/minimising the usage of system resources, in my use case of the raspberry endpoint connected to the dac

4 hours ago, franz159 said:

My understanding is that it achieves better performance in terms of jitter/noise by optimising/minimising the usage of system resources, in my use case of the raspberry endpoint connected to the dac

Thanks Franz. It was my understanding that AL was preferred because it plays directly from RAM. But when I look at Volumio's web page, it says:

• - The system is loaded entirely on RAM and optimized for lightweight operations
  • - Various Audio related tweaking for best audio performances

I'm wondering if you or anyone have compared AL to the latest edition of Volumio? 

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks Franz. It was my understanding that AL was preferred because it plays directly from RAM. But when I look at Volumio's web page, it says:

• - The system is loaded entirely on RAM and optimized for lightweight operations
  • - Various Audio related tweaking for best audio performances

I'm wondering if you or anyone have compared AL to the latest edition of Volumio? 

In the few tests I have done, MoodeAudio (now at ver 4.4)  has always proven itself sonically better than Volumio.

Of course, I have not compared every single version of one vs the other...!

Now AL may lose a bit in terms of feature set and ease of configuration when compared to Moode, but it competes in terms of social results, at least with squeezelite which is the component I'm currently using as player with AL. 

As you already have the LMS infrastructure, and have used Squeezelite, can I suggest you try PiCorePlayer ? It's a very small distro, runs in RAM, has a wide variety of plugins and a really involved support community.

I tried Rune, Moode, Volumio, ArchPhile etc, but always end up back with PCP. For the sake of an SD card, it's worth a try... 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:10 PM, Yatsushiro said:

As you already have the LMS infrastructure, and have used Squeezelite, can I suggest you try PiCorePlayer ? It's a very small distro, runs in RAM, has a wide variety of plugins and a really involved support community.

I tried Rune, Moode, Volumio, ArchPhile etc, but always end up back with PCP. For the sake of an SD card, it's worth a try... 

Will do. I have downloaded it..