IGNORED

Blind tests can be unreliable.

STC

53 minutes ago, STC said:

One is Ki and modified by CherinAudio. What will be the best way to pick them based in sound quality only?  

18942F63-2F36-44AE-BDF2-E6FC533724A3.thumb.jpeg.4124ea8146d14e50c4398b88c29651d9.jpeg04332251-2BB3-4B33-BC35-8F9B06447ACF.thumb.jpeg.2f92c432f757d1784a78ba1f14a66d4b.jpeg

My idea about it, impossible. But this is for the possibly unexpected reason that too many variables are required to change before you can tell the better one (assumed they are not the same hence one could be better or worse as per your implication). I have the example from only last night (still shaking from said adrenaline):

The (Mach III) PC we provide can come with a relative countless number of different processors (the smallest is 20 cores, the largest is 40 cores (hyperthreaded). In almost a year of time (that we provide this PC) I finally got one for myself which nobody ordered yet and of which I thus did not have the SQ experience myself, nor someone else. This is a what we call "12-24" processor and it sits in between the 10-20 (more cheap at a ~USD 750) and 14-28 (more expensive at a USD 1450). So I spent ~USD 900 on the 12-24 and I wanted it to sound good. Obviously, because I am an audiophile and I threw money at it.

A sad thing is that these processors can be (BIOS) set to not use all their cores. And for example, the 14-28 is known to sound best at the 10-20 setting. So yeah, we first spend USD 700 more to end up with the same number of cores as the 10-20 but it sounds way better. How crazy we are. But, how crazy you become when this thus is a variable too and my newly obtained 12-24 may not sound the best at 12-24. But coming from a 14-28, what should I do ? Leave it be at the 10-20 it was set to and use the new 12-24 as a 10-20 right from the start ?

To make a long story short, 90 minutes of reboots further because my software seemed not to be compatible but checking learned that all should be fine, my exited expectations long gone and being tired of it, I found that instead of setting it to "all cores" I set it to  the maximum which could be tweaked (under) which was 11-22. Indeed my software did not anticipate on that combination and once I found thus culprit I was NOT good to go. My mood was completely down and although still excited I couldn't perceive good sound from it.

So yes @Kal Rubinson, I know this too (although it is the other way from how it usually goes).

But was it rally so bad ?

The above is only the lead-in to the real story:

With the experience I have, I had the idea that the congested sound I perceived would not be from too many cores used (and hell no, I would not attach monitor and all to get into the BIOS again and change again which would only be an other trial anyway), but could well be from a too high processor speed. The speed "with consensus" for this whole family of processors always has been 720MHz (no typo) and so I thought to be wild and set it to 480MHz.

Now I don't like to use Frank's words, but I should.

The moral: For me, and what I all tried in the now past 12 years in this "environment", one of your 4 Marantzes could very well require that special other setting first. Or that other cable. Or ... anything.

This processor could well be the best sounding out of the whole range available. Bit will it really ? and shouldn't I re-test all the others with this 480MHz setting first ? should I not try 400MHz, 550MHz, 1GHz etc. etc. etc. before final judgment ?

My idea about it, impossible.

There. Of course I could try without further adjustments. But assumed a gem could be there, I shouldn't leave at that when the gem appears to be for the worse.

One could also argue that this hobby is getting out of hand. Out of control. o.O

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 2/5/2019 at 2:27 AM, STC said:
On 2/5/2019 at 12:11 AM, PeterSt said:

Can't you get out of here ?

Nope because 

Talking about IQ again (ref. 4 months or so ago) and

On 2/5/2019 at 1:06 AM, PeterSt said:

Talking in riddles

you 100% exactly arrived at what I expected you to. But this went unconsciously for you (this is the power of influence). If all is right, excluding me, two persons understand the underlaying subject. You (STC) are the third but you are not aware of it yet.

Maybe my adrenaline plays up. Haha.

XXHighEnd (developer)

23 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Talking about IQ again (ref. 4 months or so ago) and

you 100% exactly arrived at what I expected you to. But this went unconsciously for you (this is the power of influence). If all is right, excluding me, two persons understand the underlaying subject. You (STC) are the third but you are not aware of it yet.

Maybe my adrenaline plays up. Haha.

Not following....

6 hours ago, STC said:

but my understanding is to avoid multiple cores when it come to audio processing which I think becoming impossible nowadays.

The contrary. But control them ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

37 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

The contrary. But control them ...

I think the general rule is that audio processing involves a single core only. DAW software designer usually would state the minim required thread.  According to the Reaper forum the recommended core is not more than 8. It is about threads and plugin or  something like that. 

I am no expert and was just asking based on what  i was advised to do. 

Cheers!

18 hours ago, fas42 said:

...did a rather pleasant job on a pipe organ plus orchestra CD last go ... care to know what it was?...

I would like to know what CD it is.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

On 2/5/2019 at 9:43 PM, STC said:

But we have to accept we do think differently. We means male and female. 

That's simply wrong, and you haven't demonstrated to me that you have the intelligence to know the difference.

I have been fortunate enough to have worked with some brilliant women and men, and given the opportunity to know in detail how they think. There are tendencies not absolutes, and it is entirely possible, even likely, that any conclusion's you've drawn are more a function of the environment in which you exist and to which you've been exposed, rather than statements about women and men per se. Since your own exposure has been limited, how could you know otherwise?

Physics is commonly viewed to be the domain of men, but just imagine the stereotypes of the times that these women had to surmount in order to accomplish what they accomplished ... this is just an arbitrary sample: https://gizmodo.com/these-17-women-changed-the-face-of-physics-1689043918

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_computing

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

That's simply wrong, and you haven't demonstrated to me that you have the intelligence to know the difference.

Corrected.

"Edit:- Sorry jabbr. I hope you dont read this post."

For such an intelligient man you ended up in a hifi forum replying to a not so intelligent guy's post. Must be very lonely where you belong. Perhaps, you should go and read up the main difference between male and female brains and how they function. It is in no way was a reference to the intelligence difference among the different gender.  But I guess you get small thrills by posts such as these. 

I would like to read up the main difference between male and female brains and how they function, as my current knowledge is apparently insufficient.

Where should I go?

Please just list the cites.  I can access virtually any scientific journal either online or printed.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @jabbr - Please be careful not to get personal. While I have no doubt you believe what you wrote to be the truth, it can be seen as a personal attack. 

I was careful to state that factually leaving open the possibility that someone actually knows the difference in the way men and women think. @Teresa called it misogynistic — I thought I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, sorry 😐 

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

I was careful to state that factually leaving open the possibility that someone actually knows the difference in the way men and women think. @Teresa called it misogynistic — I thought I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, sorry 😐 

Thanks jabbr. I know you are careful and mean well. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

To be clear, there are some differences - statistically speaking - in anatomical organization of human brain areas or subunits, as well as in task performance.  e.g. female humans are better at recall of landmarks. 

The most interesting data on on different sub-species of rodents and the correlation of spatial navigation correlates with gender-specific dispersal.

But nothing useful on this internet site.

9 minutes ago, STC said:

Or what? You admitted you do not know.

Read up! and then shut up!

The Guardian ! 😂😂😂

Oooppphh.... yes it’s true that female brains are filled with cells XX and male brains XY ... So now tell me how that affects thinking 🤔 

For extra credit, provide the first reference describing the response of the  X chromosome to pain (since the guardian says that men tolerate pain better — I’m not sure but nonetheless) ...