IGNORED

Innuos Zenith with ROON core now and in the future

I'm very interested in the the Zenith MKIII and may purchase one soon but have concerns with running ROON core. I understand it's capable now running core as long as you don't do upsampling DSP functions. My concern is with future ROON versions. I was reading on the ROON community forum a topic regarding the Antipodes CX HERE. I didn't particularly like what I was reading. I'm worried the Zenith may not work with a future ROON updates if it require more intensive computing and that ROON will just say it wasn't a supported player. If I spend north of $5k for a player I would like to think it will work for the future. How do you think this could/will play out. What can Innuos offer? What would be the backup plan? I have never used ROON but looks like the direction I want to go if I get the Zenith. If the Zenith stopped working as the core could I run it on a different platform but use the Zenith as the streamer and still use  the internal and external SSD drives, It seem counter intuitive to me.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

1 hour ago, sdl2112 said:

I'm very interested in the the Zenith MKIII and may purchase one soon but have concerns with running ROON core. I understand it's capable now running core as long as you don't do upsampling DSP functions. My concern is with future ROON versions. I was reading on the ROON community forum a topic regarding the Antipodes CX HERE. I didn't particularly like what I was reading. I'm worried the Zenith may not work with a future ROON updates if it require more intensive computing and that ROON will just say it wasn't a supported player. If I spend north of $5k for a player I would like to think it will work for the future. How do you think this could/will play out. What can Innuos offer? What would be the backup plan? I have never used ROON but looks like the direction I want to go if I get the Zenith. If the Zenith stopped working as the core could I run it on a different platform but use the Zenith as the streamer and still use  the internal and external SSD drives, It seem counter intuitive to me.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

I use a Zenith MK3 and be very happy so far, the sound quality is excellent and it is working as Roon Core flawless for my requirements. Of course I don't know if the Zenit will meet the requirements of future Roon versions, but if not, it's no problem to move the core to a separate dedicated device like e.g. a Sonictransporter or Nucleus. The Zenith will be still a superb sounding music server in my lokal network and Roon bridge for a DAC, if needed, then.

I don't have any experience with the HQPlayer, but I think, so far not. Currently there is an experimental Squeezelite Player implemented with mixed success, but for a common user it should be not possible to install a third party software on any Innuos music server. 

Hi Scott,

+1 on @#Yoda# recommendation as the Zenith sounds terrific and works perfectly with Roon.

The Zenith supports Roon as:

Core (server) only

Core & Player

Player only

There's also a nice feature that allows you to run Roon Core and Squeezelite player which sounds terrific.

I also played around with DSP and the Zenith supports upsampling to 352 or 364 pcm with no issues, or DSD128 (max my DAC will accept).

I suspect DSD 256 or 512 would require more cpu horsepower than the Zenith has but don't know for sure.

Also whilst I have no direct knowledge of Roons product roadmap it would seem an unusual business decision to require so much computing power that they reduced the number of users devices capable of running Roon and reduced their customer base as a result.

I'd be very surprised if the Zenith became unable to support Roon in the next few years.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

I am using my Zenith II with Roon and Qobuz and like everyone else I think it sounds very good. I am using it as a Roon core with my Devialet D250 core (everything is now called core) and I can connect via USB or ethernet (Devialet AIR). Sound wise the different connections sound slightly different but both good but AIR is more convenient as it allows volume control via Roon. 

I was waiting for Innuos own user interface but they have to come up with something special to best Roon.

If I compare local file (CD rips or downloads) with Qobuz I find the local one clearly superior but I really appreciate Qobuz's catalog!

• 11 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 3:33 PM, mav52 said:

Just a question can a Zenith handle HQPlayer, or is it better to have that on a dedicated PC.

No, it can't, but you can have HQP running in another computer and Roon running in the Zenith.

Depending on your configuration, you'll have (or not) to install a NAA's. Nuno Vitorino can help you with it.

As I have an ultrarendu as and end point I don't need it.

Cheers,

Jorge  

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Please see:

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.