IGNORED

Electrically Isolate Your Networked Audio/Microrendu Problem!

16 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi,

On the FMC receiver....

Did you get 3 solid green lights, - then 1 blinking green light top-right?

Is your fiber cable inserted correctly? (Send side should of Fiber Cable should be plugged into the receive? LC cable is usually set up correctly),  - but......

Sometimes it takes a bit of restarting with the power plug on BOTH FMCs. Restart the Receiver first, - then restart the sender.

The suggestions of finding a networking device to plug into the audio rack like a laptop, - or a gigabit NIC are helpful to isolate out the microRendu and to make sure that  fiber-ethernet is working properly.

When i first set up fiber, - I had to reboot my FMCs several times.

Cheers,

yes 3/1.

the plug will only fit in one way (it won't fit upside down)!

I have restarted them around 6 or 7 times already! but not paid attention to the restart ORDER! might try that sequence?

Many thanks!

On 2/3/2019 at 12:22 PM, vortecjr said:

I suggested you first try their approved SFPs. The SFPs need to be compatible with each other and the FMC (this has nothing to do with compatibility with a Rendu). 

many thanks!

I think to avoid second guessing this issue and trying different transceivers & cables, taking time and money, I will get the items described in the audiostream article that doesn't require separate transceivers and what appears to be their approved cable. Will report outcome here when I receive them, and set it up. Cheers!

Right!

...finally got the brand new FMC replacements (to the faulty secondhand ones)!

Plugged it all in (MC200CM's) fired it up on 'FIXED' and everything is 'fine and dandy' :) 

All is working well and sounds nice. I also got hold of a used SBOOSTER LPSU for the Microrendu 1.4, and this too is quite a large upgrade from the £5 SMPS, nothing technical here, it just sounds better to my ears!

Next I may try my home built PC in place of the synology ds218+ as a server with audiolinux instead of windows.

Got the singxer SU-1 to take the RENDU USB and convert to i2s > DAC. Can't try this though until I get the 5v input socket sorted out on the back. Currently it;s just plain WRONG!

Still on the verge with the NUC experience though!

Cheers!

On 2/16/2019 at 4:15 AM, the_doc735 said:

Plugged it all in (MC200CM's) fired it up on 'FIXED' and everything is 'fine and dandy'

So, the MC220L + Cisco compatible SFP did not work in your setup, but the MC200CM does.  Is this correct?  Any other conclusion for MC220L and SFP?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 2/5/2019 at 3:03 AM, bobfa said:

First here is the spec sheet from TP-Link: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC220L.html#specifications

It appears that the Ethernet will negotiate 10/100/1000.

Although I think you're right, I also suspect the truth is more complicated.

In the past, TP-Link gigabit FMC really did not connect at 100Mbps - I believe I've read a few people having trouble with that across forums, and I even have a few in our office that behaves this way (that forced me to upgrade an old 100Mbps switch to a new gigabit one).  I think another member here actually recommended Trendnet over TP-Link for this reason.

If we check the web archive, we see the specification has been changed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180114023115/http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC220L.html#specifications

Not only is the MC220L specifications changed.  MC200CM and MC210CS specifications are also changed - which is not surprising.  For some reason many consumer network equipment manufacturers make really different hardware revisions continuously without making them public and clear.  I think I've also seen cases of routers using a totally different chipset without changing the model number - this makes firmware upgrade confusing and risky, and is especially bad for people who want to try third party firmwares.

Since @the_doc735 believes he might have got a faulty used component in the first place, the solution is not related to the 100Mbps issue, but I still want to make this clear so that people have more information when they troubleshoot their FMC setup in the future.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

29 minutes ago, wklie said:

Although I think you're right, I also suspect the truth is more complicated.

In the past, TP-Link gigabit FMC really did not connect at 100Mbps - I believe I've read a few people having trouble with that across forums, and I even have a few in our office that behaves this way (that forced me to upgrade an old 100Mbps switch to a new gigabit one).  I think another member here actually recommended Trendnet over TP-Link for this reason.

If we check the web archive, we see the specification has been changed:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180114023115/http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC220L.html#specifications

Not only is the MC220L specifications changed.  MC200CM and MC210CS specifications are also changed - which is not surprising.  For some reason many consumer network equipment manufacturers make really different hardware revisions continuously without making them public and clear.  I think I've also seen cases of routers using a totally different chipset without changing the model number - this makes firmware upgrade confusing and risky, and is especially bad for people who want to try third party firmwares.

Since @the_doc735 believes he might have got a faulty used component in the first place, the solution is not related to the 100Mbps issue, but I still want to make this clear so that people have more information when they troubleshoot their FMC setup in the future.

many thanks for the 'heads up'/'wise up'   ....I never thought of it like that before i.e. design glitch rather than faulty goods! Well they do light up on three LED's but don't transmit (MC220L with my chosen cable and SFP's). Different sfp's and/or cable may have solved it, but I just thought I would get a 'proven solution' instead.

FOR SALE: 2 MC220L + optical cable + 2 wall warts. £39. You can pay £39 quid for just one MC220L alone and it's like getting the rest FOR FREE!