IGNORED

Electrically Isolate Your Networked Audio/Microrendu Problem!

https://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio

I did this and it doesn't work?

I used:

MC220L.thumb.jpg.059bcb4ec89b10065399b31a300f7be4.jpg

353368091_CiscoGLC-SX-MMDCompatible1000BASE-SXSFP850nm550mDOMTransceiverModule.thumb.jpg.7c4b1fadc47a536fe9bdd012bb80b24b.jpg

914185832_LC-LCUPCOM2MultimodeFibrePatchLeadDuplex3m43142.thumb.jpg.acf889ff7932561ac23e7be03a151024.jpg

1671214469_newsystem6.thumb.jpg.feebbe38eb4845024ad05808074dfdff.jpg

The TP link has a switch for a choice between forced & auto, I tried both, no difference? And,   ...that's it!! Everything is plugged in according to the article!

Anybody on here know anything about this anomaly please?

Thanks in advance!

MC220L (2x)
LC-LC UPC OM2 Multimode Fibre Patch Lead Duplex 50-125µm PVC (OFNR) Jacket, Orange-3 Metres 43142
Cisco GLC-SX-MMD Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM Transceiver Module (2x)
standard cat6 ethernet cables
Zyxel VMG3925 B10B
Synology DS218+
Sonore Microrendu v1.4
L.K.S. mh-da004 dual es9038 pro dac
HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU- MS Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

@d_elm

For a Lumin product, the model of FOC is critical, on some models a different one needs to be used. See this post.  Instead of a rendu, does a computer pick up the end of the network OK? 

Sometimes the problem is using single fibre instead of multimode cable or vice versa, totally depends on the FOC. The cables look the same, except for the fine print. The TPlink in the Audiostream articles is for multimode transmissions, so multimode FO cable is necessary.

The power LED and the Link LED should be on, with the Activity indicator on and off as data is sent/received.

The auto negotiate modes of the FOC could mean nothing gets through, happens with NICs where Auto doesn't work and forced rates does.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

38 minutes ago, One and a half said:

1) For a Lumin product, the model of FOC is critical, on some models a different one needs to be used. See this post. 

2) Instead of a rendu, does a computer pick up the end of the network OK? 

3) Sometimes the problem is using single fibre instead of multimode cable or vice versa, totally depends on the FOC.

.....The cables look the same, except for the fine print. The TPlink in the Audiostream articles is for multimode transmissions, so multimode FO cable is necessary.

4) The power LED and the Link LED should be on, with the Activity indicator on and off as data is sent/received.

5) The auto negotiate modes of the FOC could mean nothing gets through, happens with NICs where Auto doesn't work and forced rates does.

1 maybe I should ask which FOC I need for the microrendu?

2 Haven't tried that.

3) using mulltimode cable.

4) confirmed! ...that is what is happening!

5) 'forced' delivers the result in answer 4 'above', auto does NOT!

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, the_doc735 said:

5) 'forced' delivers the result in answer 4 'above', auto does NOT!

If you use a pair of TP-Link MC200CM, set it to forced:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1135.html

I'm not completely sure for MC220L though.

Note that TP-Link Gigabit FMC is not compatible with 100Mbps Ethernet.

Try this setup to verify your FMC is working:

Router or switch - (network cable) - FMC - (fiber) - FMC - (network cable) - computer

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

17 hours ago, wklie said:

1) If you use a pair of TP-Link MC200CM, set it to forced:

2) I'm not completely sure for MC220L though.

3) Note that TP-Link Gigabit FMC is not compatible with 100Mbps Ethernet.

4) Try this setup to verify your FMC is working:

.....Router or switch - (network cable) - FMC - (fiber) - FMC - (network cable) - computer

1)thanks for the link! I have it set to forced!

2) OK

3) my laptop and PC only have 100mbps ethernet adapters. I don't know what the microrendu 1.4 is, 10/100/1000?

4) I don't think the gigabit FMC will work with my 100mbps laptop or PC?

Cheers!

2 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

....no/invalid IP address.

I incorrectly assumed most PC nowadays have gigabit Ethernet, since your PC is 100Mbit only the TP-Link gigabit FMC is not going to be compatible, sorry about that.

Do you have any other device that has a gigabit Ethernet port to verify your FMC setup?  NAS?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

32 minutes ago, wklie said:

I incorrectly assumed most PC nowadays have gigabit Ethernet, since your PC is 100Mbit only the TP-Link gigabit FMC is not going to be compatible, sorry about that.

Do you have any other device that has a gigabit Ethernet port to verify your FMC setup?  NAS?

Erm!   ...no, sorry! I don't at this stage.

Is it worthwhile me just getting these rather then second guessing everything:

• 2x TP-LINK MC200CM Gigabit Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M multi-mode SC fiber, (up to 550m/1800ft), 
  • Tripp Lite Duplex Multimode 62.5/125 Fiber Patch Cable (SC/SC), 2M.

many thanks!

34 minutes ago, wklie said:

I think it's best you ask Sonore for recommendations and compatibility with specific FMC before making any additional purchase.

@vortecjr @barrows

I have told them of my problem already, but they haven't made any suggestions! But on "audiostream" there are comments suggesting these 

• 2x TP-LINK MC200CM Gigabit Media Converter, 1000Mbps RJ45 to 1000M multi-mode SC fiber, (up to 550m/1800ft), 

....with the Sonore mR. So, I am presuming that they have infact created that particular combination/chain?

....don't think the MC200CM requires any separate 'sfp modules'?

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

sonore - jesus r:

"I have no way to tell you"

...so basically, they have no idea in this respect!

Your comments are a little rude. I can’t tell what SFP module works with a TP-Link FMC because they do not provide third party compatibility information for their products. You need to ask them for support in this respect. This is why I suggested you first try their approved SFPs. The SFPs need to be compatible with each other and the FMC and this has nothing to do with compatibility with a Rendu. 

7 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

For gigabit connections, some of our users have good results with MC210CS - no SFP required so there is no converter/SFP compatibility to worry about.  For the exact product links involved, see https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/14016-lumin-audiophile-network-music-player/?do=findComment&comment=922819

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello This is my first post on this forum. I work with fiber optic cable everyday in my job. I have seen a situations in which the cable seems fine and will pass light when you put a pen tester on it but won't pass data. My first inclination would be to try a different cable. I use a pair TPlink MCM200CM with with a 75ft SC-SC cable with no problem. LC ends tend to be a bit more fragile in my experience. 

As side antidote to this is I set up the same configuration of my system for an audio friend of mine. I worked for a couple of months then stopped. I took me a few hours of troubleshoot to realize has switch was 10/100 not gigabit. For some reason the MCM200CMs worked at 10/100 then stooped a few weeks later. I have no clue why it worked then stopped, nothing changed in the system. 

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Your comments are a little rude. I can’t tell what SFP module works with a TP-Link FMC because they do not provide third party compatibility information for their products. You need to ask them for support in this respect. This is why I suggested you first try their approved SFPs. The SFPs need to be compatible with each other and the FMC and this has nothing to do with compatibility with a Rendu. 

I'm sorry and apologise if you found it rude.

Let us look at the problem a little more closely.

First here is the spec sheet from TP-Link: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC220L.html#specifications

It appears that the Ethernet will negotiate 10/100/1000. If that is true then one of the best ways to test this is to set up two test links between the router and a computer.  Connect a straight ethernet cable between the two and test.  Then substitute the fiber connections.  Look at the states of the LEDs on the media converters.  What do the link lights show?  Below is some troubleshooting.

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201803/20180330/7106507859_MC_IG.pdf

Here is the debug for the SFP

If you do not have link/activity lights then there is some more to debug.

I would not expect Sonore to help you with this, they cannot imagine all the combinations of networking gear.  I get paid to do this for a living and I go crazy some days!  I am actually working on ideas for a networking blog as part of a series on systems designs I am studying. I am not sure of the start date or actual content.  Networking will be a part of this.  

Note that I typically use Single Mode Fiber in a single "cable" called Simplex.  This has a small complexity in that the SFPs are different models on each end as they have swapped TX/RX frequencies to work on a single cable. 

Back to babysitting the grandkids!!  Good luck.

Bob

On 2/2/2019 at 8:44 PM, the_doc735 said:

I have told them of my problem already, but they haven't made any suggestions! But on "audiostream" there are comments suggesting these 

....with the Sonore mR. So, I am presuming that they have infact created that particular combination/chain?

Many thanks!

Hi,

On the FMC receiver....

Did you get 3 solid green lights, - then 1 blinking green light top-right?

Is your fiber cable inserted correctly? (Send side should of Fiber Cable should be plugged into the receive? LC cable is usually set up correctly),  - but......

Sometimes it takes a bit of restarting with the power plug on BOTH FMCs. Restart the Receiver first, - then restart the sender.

The suggestions of finding a networking device to plug into the audio rack like a laptop, - or a gigabit NIC are helpful to isolate out the microRendu and to make sure that  fiber-ethernet is working properly.

When i first set up fiber, - I had to reboot my FMCs several times.

Cheers,

18 hours ago, bobfa said:

Let us look at the problem a little more closely.

First here is the spec sheet from TP-Link: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC220L.html#specifications

It appears that the Ethernet will negotiate 10/100/1000. If that is true then one of the best ways to test this is to set up two test links between the router and a computer.  Connect a straight ethernet cable between the two and test.  Then substitute the fiber connections.  Look at the states of the LEDs on the media converters.  What do the link lights show?  Below is some troubleshooting.

https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201803/20180330/7106507859_MC_IG.pdf

Here is the debug for the SFP

If you do not have link/activity lights then there is some more to debug.

I would not expect Sonore to help you with this, they cannot imagine all the combinations of networking gear.  I get paid to do this for a living and I go crazy some days!  I am actually working on ideas for a networking blog as part of a series on systems designs I am studying. I am not sure of the start date or actual content.  Networking will be a part of this.  

Note that I typically use Single Mode Fiber in a single "cable" called Simplex.  This has a small complexity in that the SFPs are different models on each end as they have swapped TX/RX frequencies to work on a single cable. 

Back to babysitting the grandkids!!  Good luck.

Bob

thanks, tried most of this already! many thanks!