rugy

Off grid music room

Rate this topic

Have been building my retirement home and have a few questions for people that know a whole lot more than me.

First off we are off grid, on an island, boat access only, no ferries, no bridges.

No power, no internet, no stores nada.

My aim is to get the best sound quality for my stereo set up.

Speakers are True Soundworks Apogee DIVA & Wilson Maxx II .

My question is this, want to get to store my digital music, CDs SACD on a Melco. Have read good things about their version 2 units.

Use a Roon Nucleus+ and then to a T&A DAC . Can I get HQ Player to integrate ? or not ?

Have read lots of interesting things about the SGM server but out of my price range.

Have read that the Roon needs to check once in a while to be to verify account ?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Lets see, you live on an island off the grid...

Are you looking for a room mate? I'll bring my system along too. 😉

I don't know about all of that but I think ROON requires an internet connection.

Yes it's waterfront and building a home that requires no fossil fuel.

Using PV and MH for electricity and Hot water solar along with a wood burning gasification boiler for all of the domestic and hydronic heating system.

Hey Doc, sure always looking for some free labour in exchange for accommodations, hehe.

Going to contact people that sell the Nucleus. Was told by a local seller that roon would scan my digital library store all data on the Nucleus so it wouldn't need access to the net.

Will find out and report back.

I suppose if it did you could always just tether your home network to your cell phone long enough for it to do a subscription check or whatever it does.

edit: I just started ROON and watched my internet activity, it certainly does something when starting, but not more than a few KB of something.

17 hours ago, rugy said:

Yes it's waterfront and building a home that requires no fossil fuel.

Using PV and MH for electricity and Hot water solar along with a wood burning gasification boiler for all of the domestic and hydronic heating system.

Hey Doc, sure always looking for some free labour in exchange for accommodations, hehe.

Going to contact people that sell the Nucleus. Was told by a local seller that roon would scan my digital library store all data on the Nucleus so it wouldn't need access to the net.

Will find out and report back.

Why don't people spell out the name of the tech before using the initials?  PV and MH ?

Sorry for the confusion on the initials.

PV = photovoltaic, using 32 at 335w. 8 at the ocean and 24 behind the house facing south.

MH = Microhydro, using 2 turbines that can provide 1100 watts each 24hrs a day during the winter. Not a lot of sun up here in the winter.

The generating of the hot water from the solar panels along with the wood burning gasification fireplace are two stainless steel tanks that are 1000L each. Plus the mass storage of the concrete walls 8" thick and the floors also 8" which have hydronic lines embedded.

Using a 48 volt system. Batteries are 2 volt each therefore 24 batteries.

We have limited cell coverage but do get it from time to time, so that should work.

MY home becomes an off the grid home, when we lose our power and the generator kicks on after 9 sec.  Does it make a difference in audio ,nope just a big inconvenience

An island off the grid sound great until I realize that would mean no internet, and then I realize I could not survive without it (at least not functionally and happily). Still, I admire your undertaking.

JC