IGNORED

Chromecast built-in as Roon endpoint

The Cambridge Audio CXN v2 dac/streamer has chromecast built-in which can be used as Roon endpoint...

Is this considered audiophile quality or should I be using different method to have Roon endpoint connected to Cambridge Audio CXN v2 since it also has usb in, optical and coax digital inputs.

Dan

On 1/31/2019 at 11:47 PM, tesladan said:

The Cambridge Audio CXN v2 dac/streamer has chromecast built-in which can be used as Roon endpoint...

Is this considered audiophile quality or should I be using different method to have Roon endpoint connected to Cambridge Audio CXN v2 since it also has usb in, optical and coax digital inputs.

Dan

There should be no difference in audio quality between the Roon Core Server using Google's Cast networking streaming technology and its own RAAT protocol.

So if audio quality is your only concern, why gamble with it by using a RAAT supporting streamer with the CXN used as a 'mere' external DAC, as opposed to using the CXN's own built-in streamer with its ideal direct internal connection to the same DAC (not to mention the extra expense of a RAAT supporting streamer)?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

34 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

There should be no difference in audio quality between the Roon Core Server using Google's Cast networking streaming technology and its own RAAT protocol.

So if audio quality is your only concern, why gamble with it by using a RAAT supporting streamer with the CXN used as a 'mere' external DAC, as opposed to using the CXN's own built-in streamer with its ideal direct internal connection to the same DAC (not to mention the extra expense of a RAAT supporting streamer)?

‘Do you have Roon? Are you saying that Roon sounds the same using RAAT vs. Chromecast, Apple Airplay, Bluetooth and such? What a great advice! LOL!

Why does having Roon have anything to do with it or even confusing the argument mentioning "Bluetooth and such"?

Have you bothered fairly comparing RAAT sound quality with the various known (other than you it seems) to be bit perfect hi-res network audio streaming protocols that the Roon Core Server also supports, ie, HQPlayer, Squeezebox, Google Cast,  - ideally using the same streamer?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

To answer your question, yes, I have. I have tried many streamers, DACs, and even Cores, including computers, NUCs, sonicTransporter and now Innuos ZENITH MK3. I keep trying and comparing even today. With my current DAC with bridge built in. Ayre QX-5 Twenty. And SqueezeLite now that I have Innuos. 

‘I have owned many other DACs, PS Audio DSD with Bridge II, Cary DMS-500, Lumin T1, and maybe ten more.

Same for streamers. You name it, I have owned it.

‘’And I have Roon. Lifetime sub now for over two years.

Do you have Roon? Or are you just giving advice theoretically as a scientist or Archimagoest?

What, so the advice given by someone who's never actually compared the sound quality of a Google Cast supporting DAC streamer with the the same device being used as an external DAC to another streamer using a different streaming protocol isn't also theoretical?

-- Jo Cox

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Only for the convenience factor. My 2018 Mac Mini is located on computer desk in same room as my stereo system , stereo with Cambridge Audio CXN v2, McIntosh C70 tube preamp, McIntosh MC312 power amp at other end of room 14 ft away from where computer monitor, desk is etc

Next upgrade in few months will be the Naim ND5 XS 2, which states it is Roon ready and I use the Apple Airplay already to stream SiriusXM from Mac Mini desktop or sometimes the you tube stuff sent to dac streamer with Apple Airplay. I prefer the Roon interface over the software in the Cambridge Audio CXN v2. But also concerned about sound quality of using Chromecast built in for Roon. 

Indeed, the Roon user interface is excellent - so no surprise you prefer to use it.

Are you also saying that your sound quality concern of using Roon with the CXN (via its built-in Chromecast), is because you've compared that to using the CXN with its own control app (which gets the CXN to stream from a UPnP/DLNA media server) and that you have found a difference, ie, Roon with the CXN (as a Chromecast streamer) sounds worse than a UPnP/DLNA media server with the CXN (as a UPnP streamer) when playing the same music files?

-- Jo Cox

So far the CXN v2 sounds better as a UPnP/DLNA streamer than Roon via Chromecast built-in.

Music stored in original wav. format, Netgear Ultra 2 NAS, Western Digital Red drives,  illustrate Asset UPnP, all Audioquest Pearl network cables for related equipment

Strange that Cambridge Audio has not made their streamers actual Roon Ready ( CXN v2,  Azur 851N and newer Edge NQ ) Maybe they decide to add Roon Ready in future firmware? Sound improved with last firmware dated Jan 22/19...

Ok, I now understand your concern. There could be several reasons for the sound quality difference, but the only way to be certain is to reduce the number of variables in your comparison.

Try taking Roon completely out of the picture in the comparison, by using a reputable third party controller app that supports both Chromecast devices & UPnP/DLNA streamers and can get both to play the audio files from Asset UPnP, eg, BubbleUPnP (Android only) or mConnect Player Lite (iOS & Android). So you'll now be comparing CXN as a UPnP/DLNA streamer with CXN as a Chromecast, both playing the audio files from Asset UPnP.

-- Jo Cox